Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Do I have to give up on jeans?

(15 Posts)
TuftedLadyGrotto Mon 22-Jan-18 20:37:23

I'm a size 16 at the moment. I gained weight following surgery, and I'm trying buy struggling to lose it.

I'm pear shaped/hourglass, massive arse and hips, small on top (tiny boobs). I've been wearing boot cut jeans, because anything else looks awful - skinny and straight give me 'parsnip' legs and just highlight my large arse.

Bur I caught a look at myself today and I was definitely looking "mumsy".

So any suggestions or do I just give up on jeans?

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Mon 22-Jan-18 21:03:41

I’m sure you’ll get loads of suggestions but I have recently found Gap to be reasonable for jeans. Also Wallis. The bootcut ones from Gap weren’t ridiculously tight over the thigh, which is a problem I have when buying trousers or jeans.

Iwantaunicorn Mon 22-Jan-18 21:09:53

I second gap for jeans, very flattering. There’s always a discount code to be had for both in store and online purchases too, sometimes as much as 40% off!

Thebluedog Mon 22-Jan-18 21:48:36

I feel your pain, I’m VERY pear shaped and boot cut were really flattering on me but they look so mumsy now. I look like a carrot in skinny jeans unless I’m wearing big chunky boots. Straight leg or anything like that just look daft too. I can’t wear anything with pockets, cigarette trousers etc

I’ve no advice im afraid, just watching with interest.

Honeycake50 Mon 22-Jan-18 21:52:31

But i love my bootcut,slowly realising they have been out since i got lost having kids 6 years ago.. But they suit me so much and Next do a great sculpting pair that i only bought recently..

Dont give up, you will find the right pair, you just have to tell yourself you are going into one or two shops only (otherwise it's too overwhelming) and just try whatever looks good. You will find them eventually.

ArkAtEee Mon 22-Jan-18 21:59:08

Try a cropped bootcut, those are more popular. I got some cheaply (less than £10) from Gap last year.

Frankiewears Mon 22-Jan-18 22:01:25

Get the Next high waisted straight leg ones, wear a longer than crotch length top and roll them up. Very flattering. Wear with converse for casual or nice slouchy boots.

Chocolateteabag Mon 22-Jan-18 23:01:12

What Frankie says - high waisted and straight leg
You want the top of the jeans to be at your thinner waist not near your wider hips
Then tucked in top or tunic length lower than wide bit

Rolled up cuffs draw eye away from hips to your feet too

Dark wash for me looks better too

Honeycake50 Tue 23-Jan-18 09:54:47

Can someone post a link for the straight leg Next ones? I searched on their website and they don't seem to be there?

Honeycake50 Tue 23-Jan-18 10:13:16

Found them, they don't come up when you search Straight leg on their website for some reason, all under 'Jeans'....

www.next.co.uk/g2290s12#939917

TillyVonMilly Tue 23-Jan-18 11:56:09

I got some straight leg jeans from Next, I look a tit in skinny jeans blush
They’re fine when just washed but after a couple of hours they grow, go baggy and slide down, I’m constantly pulling them up. hmm

LemonysSnicket Tue 23-Jan-18 13:37:11

I’m a size 8 and I fucking hate jeans. devils clothing.

I just wear leggings or trousers

QueenThisTime Tue 23-Jan-18 14:40:48

I'm pear-shaped and when feeling especially large of arse, I like wearing something longer over jeans - for example a longline cardie, open at the front, over a layered long vest and shorter top. This minimises the parsnip effect. I have a black longline (almost knee-length) hoodie cardigan from H&M that's great for this, and doesn't feel mumsy (though who can say?... I just wear what feels good)

I like "relaxed" skinnies or straight slim leg jeans –Gap, Next and M&S usually, also Boden if feeling flush.

Also shoes help I think - at the moment I'm wearing chunky snow boots, in summer I like chunky trainers or sandals. I think they work better with my pear proportions than little petite shoes IYSWIM.

QueenThisTime Tue 23-Jan-18 14:43:35

Oh yes to dark wash as well, and/or black jeans. One thing guaranteed to look dreadful on my big bum is pale or bright blue denim.

MikeUniformMike Tue 23-Jan-18 14:54:21

Bootlegs are coming back so don't get rid. I like straight legs too.
If your top half is slim, wear flattering tops. This will give the impression of being slimmer than you are.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: