Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Wedding Dress opinion?

(41 Posts)
Sarahwuk Sun 21-Jan-18 00:21:06

Hi Everyone!

Could you give me your 'honest' opinion about this dress? It's from a 2005 range, so a bit dated .. would just really appreciate peoples opinion. Please don't think you'll offend, I would much rather someone was brutally honest!

bit.ly/2G1yjRN

bit.ly/2rnhGfX

Thanks!

Sarah

Poppyfields21 Sun 21-Jan-18 00:22:09

I’m not overly keen on the pick ups in the skirt but the top half is beautiful x

missjaysays Sun 21-Jan-18 00:23:27

I personally wouldn't choose it. The skirt isn't awful but the top is just far too plain for my liking.
That's just my personal taste though! If you like it then you go for it, but don't forget it's your day to shine!smile

Littlelambpeep Sun 21-Jan-18 00:23:28

I went for a similar shape. I wouldn't chose the pintucks but its lovely

peachypetite Sun 21-Jan-18 00:23:58

So incredibly dated. It's awful.

youngnomore Sun 21-Jan-18 00:26:29

It does look a bit dated to me yes. Top part is nice. Bottom part is not so nice imo. A bit like curtains. Sorry.

TroubledTribble28 Sun 21-Jan-18 00:27:15

It's beautiful. If you like it you should wear it, your wedding day is just that, yours. The only opinion that counts here is yours.

Only1scoop Sun 21-Jan-18 00:27:43

Awful

The bottom looks like dated satin theatre drapes.

Sorry

WhatShallIDoWithMyself Sun 21-Jan-18 00:32:36

If you like it, and think it suits you then go for it.
Even if you go for whatever style is 'on trend' now, it will simply look 'dated' in a few years time in the photos. Wear whatever makes you feel like the bride you want to be.
I hope you have a lovely wedding day and wonderful marriage.

katieferg81 Sun 21-Jan-18 00:50:47

If you're having to ask for others opinions I don't think it's the dress for you. I got married in November and my dress was different from a traditional wedding dress but other than do you think it's to tight on my tummy (an area I'm concious of) I couldn't have cared less about others opinions as I loved it.

maybaby17 Sun 21-Jan-18 01:04:47

It's nice but the skirt is a bit dated. It could look more 2018 depending on what else you style it with though.

The top half is really nice. The overall shape is nice. Just the pouffy bits are putting me off

TwinklyGiraffe Sun 21-Jan-18 04:16:50

Dated, not nice. Sorry!

SilverBirchTree Sun 21-Jan-18 04:25:36

Dated and also a bit basic.

SilverBirchTree Sun 21-Jan-18 04:27:08

That said, buying a 2nd hand wedding dress is a great idea

If you like the shape and colour, you could buy it and pay a seamstress to change the pins and the neckline. Maybe add a layer of lace or ornaments to the top? It could look completely different and still save you a lot of money.

NotAChristmasCakePop Sun 21-Jan-18 07:43:58

Nothing wrong with it as such, but it is very plain on top and very dated on the bottom. Can it be altered to make it a bit more modern? Love the laced up back.

Orchardgreen Sun 21-Jan-18 07:47:00

You'd need a shepherdess's crook for the full Bo Peep look!

StarkintheSouth Sun 21-Jan-18 07:58:01

It’s really not my type at all. I don’t like the big strapless numbers and the pin tuck style is dated in my (non fashion expert) opinion. But I’m not the one getting married here- if you like it go for it and I’m sure you’ll look amazing.

InfiniteSheldon Sun 21-Jan-18 08:08:30

I like it but the only thing that matters is do you?

IggyAce Sun 21-Jan-18 08:16:32

Dated and a word or warning on windy days that skirt will puff completely out almost cartoon like.

Mooey89 Sun 21-Jan-18 08:20:20

I’m sorry I really don’t like it, the skirt is really dated. I don’t like satin either.
There are loads of beautiful pre loved dresses on eBay that are genuinely nice and more recent seasons!

baublesnbubbles Sun 21-Jan-18 08:22:21

Not my taste and even with accessories I think it would look dated, the bodice is nice but I think I d change the skirt

Wilburissomepig Sun 21-Jan-18 08:43:22

I don't really like it, I'm sorry. I think both the skirt and bodice are very dated and of their time. Aside from that the skirt is too fussy for my liking and I think strapless wedding gowns have had their day.

DrRisotto Sun 21-Jan-18 08:47:53

I love the back. I think you could do better with the front though. It looks shiny and too fussy.

mogloveseggs Sun 21-Jan-18 08:48:17

I think it’s your wedding, your day, your dress and if you love it then wear it. You’ll regret it otherwise.

Wh0KnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Sun 21-Jan-18 08:51:39

I don't like strapless wedding dresses, don't like the lacing on the back and the skirt is very dated with it's puffy gathering. It does look as though it has a lot of alteration potential though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: