Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I'd like to cut my hair short but my hairdresser doesn't think it'll work - is there a compromise?

(9 Posts)
Twelvety Sat 13-Jan-18 19:32:46

I have thick, coarse hair, currently falls to my mid upper-arms. I'd like to go for the long bob style / that shorter look that's been in for the last few years where you chop off a good few inches. Will try and add a pic. I'm early 30s and I think long hair just makes me look too young at work. Also mainly just want to try it. My hairdresser says my hair will curl and that it's only the weight of it that keeps it only being a light wave atm. Also it would go triangular and I'd have to straighten it every day. I'm quite low maintenance so I wouldn't want to do this. I trust her opinion but at the same time I keep thinking I want to do it - is there a compromise or does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do?

DontDriveLikeATwat Sat 13-Jan-18 20:22:09

Could you not just embrace the curl that she says is there - and go for a long bob with a curl? Why fight it if it is there?

ArbitraryName Sat 13-Jan-18 20:24:17

It will only ‘go triangular’ if she doesn’t do a good job of cutting it. Based on what she’s said, I would get a different hairdresser to cut me a shorter hairstyle. This one has pretty much told you she’s not going to do a good job of it.

iceallmighty Sat 13-Jan-18 20:25:45

Find a different hairdresser.
Absolutely no reason for it to look triangular if it's done very well.

Pagwatch Sat 13-Jan-18 20:26:21

I think the compromise is either her competently cutting your hair as you requested or you going somewhere else.

HotelEuphoria Sat 13-Jan-18 20:29:29

When I went short I did it gradually over six months, that way I could tell at each reduction whether I was happy and if not it would only have taken a couple of months to get back to the previous stage.

Could you try that? Get shorter each time and see how it looks and you manage.

Twelvety Sat 13-Jan-18 20:49:05

That's an idea Hotel - did you tell your hairdresser your plan or just ask for it shorter each time?

DontDrive I think it's more it will spring up and go really curly. I don't really want it like that.

She is good and knows her stuff. I feel she is probably being honest/realistic. I worry if I went to someone new they'd say yeah no problem and then it would be awful.

LavenderHills Sat 13-Jan-18 20:58:36

Could you not just learn/experiment with some sophisticated updos for work? I speak as someone who also battles being perceived as younger than she is, and it's a complete PITA when you want to be taken seriously professionally.

LockedOutOfMN Sat 13-Jan-18 22:50:25

I'd do what HotelEuphoria recommends.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: