Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Filling in balding eyebrows

(47 Posts)
MiserableAsSin Sat 13-Jan-18 18:57:55

My eyebrows started to develop bald patches in my early 30s but nothing too noticeable . Now at 34 I have really obvious gaps. My actual brow hair is dark and thick in some places making the bald patches very obvious . It's really affecting my confidence as I feel it's the most noticeable things on my face .
I am also finding it increasingly hard to rectify with makeup . Most brow products will not apply on the bald area - they just glide over not depositing any colour . The bald bits are sort of smooth/ shiny and this maybe why. I gave tried brow gels - mac, Anastasia dip brow pomade , illamasqua - they don't work . I have tried a mac brows pencil and it writes on but fades after an hour or so. I have tried the illamasqua brow cake which used to work very well till the patches got bigger and am not finding it difficult to get them to look even. Any recommendations ?- am pretty desperate .

user187656748 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:44:46

i have a couple of little patches and do it with eyeshadow but if it gets worse i will have the patches microbladed.

AnneLovesGilbert Sat 13-Jan-18 19:48:09

Have you tried wunderbrow? I have fair naturally sparse eyebrows, no bald patches but they’re quite short I like them longer on both ends.

GoldenWondering Sat 13-Jan-18 19:50:15

Have you had your thyroid checked?

OrangePekoe Sat 13-Jan-18 19:53:49

I use a powder with an angled eyeliner brush - not too harsh but fills in the gaps

Barbie1 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:57:21

Beauty therapist here...:mocroblading is they way to go....or check out the Korean tattoo brow pens.

I discovered them while living in s. Korea and they really are excellant! They are a very fine tipped marker type pen that doesn’t slid and will sit on your skin without fading for at least 12 hours..doesn’t live up to the 24 hours claim unfortunately.

eBay has loads, really cheap too so try a few!

Littlelambpeep Sat 13-Jan-18 19:58:33

Really think microblading is your best option - totally worth it

itsmince Sat 13-Jan-18 20:05:39

I'm older than you OP but I have fine, sparse blonde hair so eyebrows have always been a problem for me.

I get mine tinted and waxed every 4 weeks so I have an outline to work with and don't look like a corpse when I put my make up on every day I use Benefit Ka-brow in 02 to paint in the brow then their 3D eyebrow enhancer on top in a darker colour.

Ollivander84 Sat 13-Jan-18 20:07:21

I have v fair eyebrows and had micropigmentation done. The before and after photos should be attached!

FinallyHere Sat 13-Jan-18 20:51:40

Another fan of the process https://www.karenbetts.co.uk/treatment/microblading/procedure.html

OutToGetYou Sat 13-Jan-18 21:01:28

Nope, sorry, those 'bladed' eyebrows look dreadful.

OP, I have thin eyebrows from over plucking, when plucked was 'in', and I fill mine in with make up, it looks OK.

franktheskank Sat 13-Jan-18 21:20:20

Another one who hates the blades eyebrows. I think if done lightly they could look good on black eyebrows but any lighter they just look awful.

Anastasia Beverley hills brow wiz is the way to go or wonder brow applied properly depending on the colour.

Mybabystolemysanity Sat 13-Jan-18 21:23:58

Rimmel have started to do a waxy/powdery pencil. I've changed from their ordinary eyebrow pencil which I used happily for years. Stays put and builds up a bit of depth. I think it's great for £5ish.

Not keen on microbladed look and if you look at you tube videos of how it's done, I'd be thinking twice.

user187656748 Sat 13-Jan-18 21:28:28

Well i think your eyebrows look good Ollivander

Ketzele Sat 13-Jan-18 21:36:43

I have the same problem, and have tried about a zillion products. I always come back to Benefit - they do an eyebrow pencil that has an eyebrow brush at the other end. I use that to fill in, then set with powder, then use a clear eyebrow gel (also Benefit). It stays in place all day, but I do think using powder to set it is key.

Tempted to try out the Korean brow pens, though smile

marciagetscreamed Sat 13-Jan-18 21:57:29

Ollivander what lovely eyes! I like your brows too.

Op, I love Revitabrow eyebrow conditioner and Revitabrow high definition gel.

Ollivander84 Sat 13-Jan-18 22:10:07

They do obviously fade down a bit, that was 10 minutes after they were done. Different to microblading as it was done with a single needle and a machine so no blade
This is now, I haven't yet had my touch up so need a few patches doing!

goose1964 Sat 13-Jan-18 22:28:36

I've always had sparse eyebrows,very occasionally I'll just use an eyebrow pencil but I'm quite light and even a brown makes me feel overdone

MidLifeCrisis2017 Sat 13-Jan-18 22:39:18

Castor oil helps. I've even had to pluck a few for the first time in years.

FortyFacedFuckers Sat 13-Jan-18 22:42:30

I have had microblading and I thoroughly recommend it.

MyBabyIsPerfect Sun 14-Jan-18 05:34:01

I use wonderbrow - amazing product! It goes on to bald areas really well.

mathanxiety Sun 14-Jan-18 07:15:14

What do you do with the castor oil, MidLifeCrisis?

DD2 has sparse, fair eyebrows and wants to do something about them.

Bluesheep8 Sun 14-Jan-18 09:24:58

Try revitabrow from qvc. I Can't rate this highly enough.it'll definitely rectify the problem. I started to lose the 'tails' of both brows and this brought them back. Not cheap but it really works. Benefit gimme brow is great too for non obvious filling in.

greenllicic Sun 14-Jan-18 10:31:42

Iv had microblading and so has my mum but we've got a fantastic practitioner and it looks so natural. I think it depends on where you go.

Gingernaut Sun 14-Jan-18 10:34:51

Am I right in thinking microblading is a form of tattooing?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: