Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I am done with heels - forever. But I still want to be stylish.

(19 Posts)
Wollstonecraft1 Sat 13-Jan-18 18:31:39

I am not comfortable in heels and I have had enough of them.

So I'm formally going to give them but I still want to look smart and stylish. Ballet pumps are fine and I have plenty of those but they aren't hardwearing.

What are Dr Martens like these days? I always thought they were fugly and for goths, but boy do they look like they would last and be comfy!

I'm tempted by these

www.drmartens.com/uk/p/dms-lite-womens-shoes-temperley-sports-spacer-mesh-askins

Or these www.drmartens.com/uk/p/22164600

But I feel like I would need to rethink my whole look if I go flat for good.

Help!

Notcontent Sat 13-Jan-18 18:46:53

Me too - I may still wear them for special occasions but they are incompatible with my lifestyle, which involves a lot of walking, public transport, etc. (I live in London.)

In winter it's easy because I think many dresses and skirts look good with ankle boots.

lasttimeround Sat 13-Jan-18 18:47:22

I don't do heels. And I don't do ballet flats- I live in Scotland and it's wet.

I wear long boots. Recently totally delighted with these. www.jonesbootmaker.com/ladies/gabor-astoria-m-JBR26334269.html?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=lowerfunnel
That's great for dresses and skirts. More conventional silhouette
Then I wear brogues of various types. Clarks do a great range. With trousers. Also with dresses but it's a bit more geeky maybe some would say frumpy. But I like it - I make it look deliberate then I like to think its kinda cool. You need to play about with rolling trouser up getting the right shape.
Summer I wear flat sandals or trainers or those summer type brogues.
The only thing where I think style wise I need a heel is a business dress type thing I have for interviews. So I have 1 pair for those occasions. I often wear those sorts of tailored dresses with brogues toops if I'm doing something more high powered in a work day. Bit blue stocking but I work in research I rather like that nerdiness.

countrygirl171 Sat 13-Jan-18 18:49:21

Have a look at En Brogue - she has some great ideas for wearing flats

lasttimeround Sat 13-Jan-18 18:56:59

Oh yes en brogue = fab

Wickedstepmum67 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:02:03

Not worn heels for 'years' due to dodgy feet and weak ankles. Doc Martens are fabulous, I think, and I have quite the collection. It is sometimes a bit of a bother as to what to wear with formal clothes/weddings etc - did turn up at a friend's evening 'do' attired in a pair of leopard print 'creepers'. Ahem!

Wickedstepmum67 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:02:46

Should add I was also wearing other clothes.....😂

AdidasGirl Sat 13-Jan-18 19:07:42

Clarks Wallabees for me.
The most comfy things you will ever have on your feet.

Wollstonecraft1 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:09:18

I should probably point out that I have a high instep, wide feet and chunky calves so knee high boots will be out, a lot of ankle boots and the width of my feet has probably contributed to why I haven't been comfortable in my shoes for years.

LockedOutOfMN Sat 13-Jan-18 19:11:45

If you're not really into many ankle or knee boots, OP, go for brogues and loafers, also trainers.

Lousmith Sat 13-Jan-18 19:12:56

When I go out i wear heels. I tend to drink and dance which normally ends up with my feet hurting and me wanting to take them off. I have found heeled boots a massive relief! I can wear them all night and now walk more than a metre without wanting to sit down. New look have some lovely pairs (just brought a burgundy pair) they have lots of support.
Would definitely advise heeled boots.

Yogagirl123 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:14:44

Me too, I gave all my heels to charity years ago. Once you discover Skechers there’s no going back!

Wickedstepmum67 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:24:28

Me too with wide-ish feet and sturdy calves. There are some great wide fitting knee boots now - Duo are the best known brand, but some other nice styles out there too, including Clarks. I find the 'tall' DMs styles often fit wider calves a treat, but not the lace- up styles.

Wollstonecraft1 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:26:09

Are Duo leather, Wicked? I am also tired of paying ££ for synthetic shoes that fall apart. We are being conned!

Wickedstepmum67 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:54:11

Yes, not cheap by any means, but some nice 'investment' pieces. I have found the leather is good quality.

Bluedoglead Sat 13-Jan-18 20:03:46

Ebay for doc martens. I got a pair of brand new brogues in the box for £49

specialsubject Sat 13-Jan-18 20:18:28

Nothing stylish about waddle-making ballet flata or staggering heels that make you stomp like a catwalk model. ( and that's not something to aspire too)

Some care still needed, Brian cox's wife is photographed in the times today with him and she appears to have beige boats strapped to her feet.

CountFosco Sat 13-Jan-18 21:45:05

Another vote for the enbrogue blog, it's inevitably biased towards more casual shoes but she's got some historic blogs about party shoes, wedding shoes and work shoes. Basically she suggests pointy flats if you need to look supersmart. I wear chelsea boots, brogues, loafers, trainers, sporty mary janes, and pointy flats to work. I think flat shoes look great with miniskirts and midi or maxi length skirts in particular.

HundredMilesAnHour Sat 13-Jan-18 22:02:28

These are my absolute favourites. I've lived in these flats for most of the winter so far:

traceyneuls.com/collections/women-1/products/turi-slip-on-beuys-grey

I also wear these a lot:

traceyneuls.com/collections/women-1/products/geek-petrol

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: