Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Work Trousers: Which material and where?

(13 Posts)
mrsstephentoast Sat 13-Jan-18 16:32:43

Hi, for the purposes of this, I work in an office with a smart dress code and have a fair bit of walking as part of my commute.

I need 4 pairs of new trousers, probably black, navy, grey, pattern. Can you tell me what material I should be looking on the label? Is 100% wool a good idea? I can also see lots of polyester online. Thank you for the advice!

mrsstephentoast Sun 14-Jan-18 19:11:17

BUMP for the back to workers

cod Sun 14-Jan-18 19:13:59

Jigsaw Paris

highinthesky Sun 14-Jan-18 19:14:21

100% wool is fine for the winter, as long as it doesn’t make you itch.

I’d personally avoid polyester trousers - if you want to look smart, go for a cotton / synthetic mix, whee the cotton is at least 80%. Linen looks good in the summer until the moment you sit down, then you spend the rest of the day looking like you’re wearing a crushed hankie. HTH.

bagelbaby Sun 14-Jan-18 19:18:37

I like a tailored wool mix trouser. I get mine in the Saje from Jigsaw, Hobbs and Mint Velvet. Go for the expensive brands ....but when they're reduced!

IJoinedJustToPostThis Sun 14-Jan-18 19:19:30

Always check the label for the dreaded dry-clean only. Wool is a pretty good choice - usually hangs well, doesnt smell. It can be itchy though. Pure polyester is grim - I find it sweaty and itchy and generally feel gross wearing it. Like pp said, though, a little bit of synthetic in an otherwise natural fibre is OK, it can increase the longevity of the fabric.

Lurking amongst huge heaps of junk, M&S usually have some natural fibres at a reasonable price.

mrsstephentoast Sun 14-Jan-18 21:35:54

Thanks so much: so I'm looking for a wool mix?

mercurymaze Sun 14-Jan-18 21:42:54

I pretty much live in these over the winter

mercurymaze Sun 14-Jan-18 21:44:11

Some are sold out but some aren't! they are lined too but do need dry cleaning (but you can usually get quite alot of wear from them until they need it!)

highinthesky Mon 15-Jan-18 04:16:38

^ Uhh, that is such a man thing to say! Anything in close contact with your crotch is going to need frequent cleaning, whether it “needs it or not”.

OP - regular dry cleaning is a burden to be avoided. Life is too short and money more wisely spent.

highinthesky Mon 15-Jan-18 04:21:33

Actually they do look rather smart! And they are inexpensive.

I’ve never shopped at Uniqlo before, hearing they are long in the leg encourages me to have a look at the brand at least.

ExConstance Mon 15-Jan-18 12:16:06

Reiss usually have a good selection.

mrsstephentoast Mon 22-Jan-18 11:44:03

Thank you for your replies: I've actually ordered some wool mix from La Redoute.

I'll report when they arrive (they come from France!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: