Advanced search

Big pants (knickers) recommendations please! Sloggis falling apart!

(25 Posts)
ShakeShakeTheMuffin Sat 13-Jan-18 15:18:38

Bought some cotton Sloggis a while back and the stitching is coming away! sad I remember my MIL saying Sloggis aren't what they used to be.

Would like something similar, high waist and some tummy control but just better quality. I make no apology for wanting granny pants. grin I'm fast approaching 50 and want some decent comfy underwear.

Recommendations please.

M&S still do the odd good pair. They do a two pack of light support, cotton rich middies which are good.

bingohandjob Sat 13-Jan-18 16:10:46

I noticed Sloggi are really poor quality these days - stitching on mine went after just a few washes. For winter kidney warmers, I go for John Lewis big knickers - pack of 5 for something like a tenner I think. They are what the big knickers in M&S used to be like before they went to sh!t. Not really supportive as such, but really bloody comfy. I make no apologies for wanting cotton comfort either!

chewiecat Sat 13-Jan-18 16:12:12

Another vote here for M&S (much to my DH dismay wink)

Bejazzled Sat 13-Jan-18 16:15:46

TenCate from Debenhams. Cotton, good coverage, supportive and definitely not granny

KellyMarieTunstall2 Sat 13-Jan-18 17:57:10

John Lewis cotton big pants 5 for £10. These are great, I wore them post baby c-section and i'm still wearing them! Also bought a pair of light control big pants from primark, good and comfy.

ShakeShakeTheMuffin Sat 13-Jan-18 19:58:59

Thanks ladies. Assuming you all are!grin

I shall go shopping on Monday and see what I can find.

W0rriedMum Sat 13-Jan-18 20:13:16

My sloggies are also falling apart. They used to last years and now last months.

rightknockered Sat 13-Jan-18 20:22:20

I'm also eeking out the last wear from my sloggies. Have tried various boy shorts with some success, quite like some I got from Debenhams.

ziggy715 Sat 13-Jan-18 22:19:13

Gap Breathe underwear is fantastic, so soft and comfy. You can get a high waist version and shorts style. First started wearing them while pregnant and still love as they're just so comfortable.

Itscurtainsforyou Sat 13-Jan-18 23:18:30

I like matalan seam-free pants

Oldraver Sun 14-Jan-18 00:21:42

Do the John Lewis ones have the zig zaggy elastic ?

arousingcheer Sun 14-Jan-18 02:46:10

Op I get great satisfaction from seeing my M&S cotton full briefs - one row black, one row beige - all neatly tidied away in my pants drawer. Nothing else looks as good under clothes (no lines, clinging or lumps etc) and nothing is as comfy. I actually buy them a size too big to avoid lines so they are amusingly enormous.

Once I accidentally bought the bikini ones and kept them because I hate to throw stuff away but they basically sat at the back of the drawer to be worn a couple of times a year under duress until I could bring myself to dispose of them.

Dh doesn't like the beige ones but tbf I don't like his high-cut summer pants either, c'est la vie.

sadiesnakes Sun 14-Jan-18 03:40:09

I wore these all through my last pregnancy, so comfortable and wash really well.

AppyForts Sun 14-Jan-18 09:25:52

Love your post, amazingcheer. Absolutely me, too! I have a drawer of skimpy, lacy little things that have been gathering dust for years, since I discovered the joys of a comfy pair of cotton belly warmers grin.

I've gone a step further than you, actually, and now only have a few of pairs of the beige pants for summery outfits, as I live in dark clothes. So - a big old drawer full of big black pants. Bliss!

(I'm still a Sloggi devotee btw, OP, but the John Lewis ones sound promising and cheaper than may need to investigate!).

AppyForts Sun 14-Jan-18 09:26:14

arousingcheer - I do apologise grin

Bluesheep8 Sun 14-Jan-18 09:26:54

Primark do great 'proper pants' seam free and come in a pack of 3, nude, a coffee colour and black. They are fab

LoniceraJaponica Sun 14-Jan-18 09:33:03

I have these and something similar to these

IMO M and S still sell good underwear.

MsHomeSlice Sun 14-Jan-18 09:36:16

tesco, F&F seamfree shorts! ...they are really comfy and give great arse coverage, no crack creepage, no rolling, no bunching! They are vile in the nude though so I only buy black. Sometimes they have a fancy colour selection, but not often!

I have bought identical looking ones in Primark and Peacocks but they are inferior....and roll down and don't stretch or cover in the same way at all

Have also bought the highleg briefs from the same range and they are good too, but are not at all grippy so no support if that's what you are looking for.

arousingcheer Sun 14-Jan-18 13:48:52

AppyForts so many kindred spirits here! grin

Op what I forgot to say (re quality) is that the M&S bikinis had to be binned because, in addition to scooping under my dangling belly (sorry, gross) and looking shit under every garment I own, I knew they'd last forever and follow me to the grave if I didn't throw them out.

The last time I bought a new multipack of briefs (oh the glamour) was when I was travelling a lot (a family crisis meant I wore a triangular path between Dorset, London and the States) and I got tired of the packing so I left a few pairs of pants in each place. All pairs still going strong! Eventually I expect I'll have to do a cull of any that don't pass aesthetic muster.

bilbodog Sun 14-Jan-18 14:45:10

Ive been buying the sloggi micro fibre and now prefer them to the cotton ones and i always buy the next size up for extra comfort.

SwimmingInTheBlueLagoon Sun 14-Jan-18 21:11:06

arousingcheer appyforts Me too! I love my M&S cotton rich granny pants / belly warmer knickers full briefs. I got mine when I was pregnant with DD who is almost three and they are still going strong - definitely no stitching or elastic issues.

I also have them a size bigger than I need so they are massive but no VPL and so comfy. I never intended to wear them after pregnancy but the comfort was too good to go back to 'sexy' knickers ever again.

JaceLancs Sun 14-Jan-18 23:58:07

I agree with M & S cotton Lycra no VPL full briefs but when they were out of stock recently bought some v similar ones in Sainsbury’s which on one of their 25% off weeks were less than half price of my usuals - very impressed and returned to buy another 2 packs!

Lucked Mon 15-Jan-18 01:05:06

Yes the last lot of sloggis I bought fell apart and I had spent a fortune replacing most of my knickers. I have now replacedthose Sloggis with M&s cotton rich midis In the the 5 multipack.

95% cotton which is the same as sloggis and has a slightly wider gusset than the other M&S styles except the full brief. Material is slightly thinner than sloggis but they are cheap and holding together very well.

thedevilinablackdress Mon 15-Jan-18 10:31:13

Yes to M&S Midis. I have gone off most other M&S offerings but these I love.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now