Talk

Advanced search

Makeup doesn't show in pictures - what am I doing wrong?

(41 Posts)
sweetheart Fri 12-Jan-18 13:33:29

I've noticed since the Christmas period that even if I'm wearing a face full of make up in photos I often look very plain as if I'm not really wearing much - what am I doing wrong?

IJoinedJustToPostThis Fri 12-Jan-18 13:34:06

Sounds to me like you're doing it right... (personal preference)

sweetheart Fri 12-Jan-18 15:14:38

I know what you mean but not when I've spent ages getting all spruced up for a nice event and end up looking like a plain Jane in the photos.

MikeUniformMike Fri 12-Jan-18 15:18:04

The photo is probably overexposed.

Young women these days tend to have muddy looking faces they have contoured so much. Maybe they look nice in photos - if they're not doing the duck face.

Fishfingersandwich3 Fri 12-Jan-18 15:51:27

Photographic makeup is significantly heavier than ‘real life’ makeup so I would argue that if your makeup showed up well in photographs you would look overdone in real life. So it’s a matter of whether you want to look good to the actual people you are with at the time, or in photos after the event. Sounds like you are doing the first option at the moment which is sensible to me!

youvegottobekidding Fri 12-Jan-18 18:45:09

OP, I know what you mean, my sil uses basically the same brand of make up as myself, okay so she applies a bit more & hers ALWAYS shows up in photos, where as mine looks as if I've applied nothing! Yes her face does look completely made up as well but she suits it & looks great on photos. I have tried applying lots & lots of make up but I feel 'dirty' or as if I'm pre-paring for panto - besides it's not a good look in RL for me as I'm approaching mid forties, I think the more make up I apply, the older I look! Anyway I dislike photos of myself so I very rarely have any taken. Sorry I haven't been much help have I?!

SparklyLights Fri 12-Jan-18 19:38:40

I worked with a girl who wore a LOAD of makeup and not one but TWO pairs of (thick) false eyelashes. Her makeup was the subject of a little astonishment privately among colleagues.

Works night out photos are emailed around - everyone else looks washed out/plain. She looks amaaaaazing.

I slap makeup on for fancy dress (big winged darkish eyeshadow, loads of highlight etc) I look great on the pic, totally overdone in real life.

I completely agree with what a PP said. Either you look normal and pretty in real life but washed out on the pics, or a little bit theatre overdone in real life but amazing on the pics.

The trouble with thick heavy makeup in real life is that it emphasises wrinkles, dark circles and hollows which tend to become more prominent as you get older. But even on my fancy dress pics I looked better than normal because I'd really layered and slapped it on. In real life I would have had to be very brave to go for a night out like that. My friends would think I was trying to reclaim my youth etc.

It's a toughie...

endthefarts Fri 12-Jan-18 19:42:59

I get this! It drives me mad. And it’s not for the reason that everyone else has said. I often look like I’m wearing lots more
Make up than my friends on nights out, but while theirs shows up on photos, I look plain and as though I’m not wearing any. But I’m wearing noticeably more than them in real life! I have very very pale skin whereas they all fake tan. Is that why maybe?

FabalaTheGreenGirl Fri 12-Jan-18 20:52:23

I have pale skin and often wear a very bold lip. This coupled with my long straight hair often makes me look like Morticia Addams in photos, so it could be worse! :D

ICJump Fri 12-Jan-18 20:54:58

Sometimes it’s because make up as an SPF in it. Which is great for daily life but shit for photos

ZaZathecat Sat 13-Jan-18 09:08:31

I agree with end, I'm pale too and always look washed out in photos. Darker haired/complexioned friends look great.

sweetheart Mon 15-Jan-18 09:57:46

Hmmm interesting thanks all - my foundation does actually have a spf in it so I wonder if that's part of the issue. I'm going to experiment with some new eye shadow looks and maybe some new lip colours I think so I can see what looks better in photos without looking totally overdone in real life x

thethoughtfox Mon 15-Jan-18 10:27:47

A little blush makes all the difference to putting some colour back

LyraPotter Mon 15-Jan-18 10:36:58

It's probably more to do with the photography than your face. When I got married I was amazed at how much makeup I was wearing (I still loved how it looked, was just more products than I would have used to get the same effect) and my MUA explained it was to show in the photos.

Openup41 Mon 15-Jan-18 13:40:25

I have this problem. I wear foundation powder, concealer, mascara, blusher and lipstick. In photographs my skin looks great but it does not stand out iyswim. I feel even more plain when I look at photographs of women on Instagram. Surely they cannot ALL be beautiful? Is it down to good looks, contouring, filtering?

I have seen women, some young who wear such heavy make up for every day wear. I am sure it looks beautiful in photographs.

I agree with the poster who stated heavy make up can be aging.

harrietsoton Mon 15-Jan-18 13:43:52

What foundation & concealer are you using? These products are probably the issue. It’s either low coverage and leaves your ‘plain Jane’ aspects on show or it simply doesn’t photograph well. Some foundations reflect light better than others and look amazing in photos - Armani Luminous Silk fo example. (This foundation is also medium-buildable so no ‘cake’).

What’s your skin type? This can be an issue too, eg makeup fading quickly with oily skin.

Makeup that photographs beautifully doesn’t have to be cakey at all. I disagree that a full face of makeup always has to look cakey/emphasise imperfections like a PP suggested. It sounds like whoever applied the makeup was a novice or was using bad products honestly

sweetheart Mon 15-Jan-18 14:13:34

I use the No 7 lift and luminate foundation - it's not very thick because my skin doesn't react well to be caked in thick foundation. I'd say I have combination skin - it's not very dry or very oily.

YolandasFridge Mon 15-Jan-18 15:08:19

Makeup artist here. There's such a thing as a happy medium between the two , which is probably what you're looking for. Enough to show up but still look good in RL.

My tips

SPF foundation not great for photos as has "bounce back" so try and avoid for evenings

Put enough base on and don't try to "rub it in" . Most people don't put enough on IME. Slightly heavier coverage for evening is fine as light softer than harsh daylight

Use a primer for both foundation and under eye shadow

Always wear eyeliner even if top only ( never bottom only)

Wear enough mascara

Use bronzer or blusher or both. Go easy on the highlighter after about 21

YolandasFridge Mon 15-Jan-18 15:10:48

There was meant to be an exclamation mark at the end! wink

And to the pp, instagram is 99% photoshopped face tuned airbrushed nonsense , please don't let it make you feel bad

SparklyLights Mon 15-Jan-18 15:21:00

Ooh that’s interesting Yolanda! My fave foundation has spf35 in though (waah!)

Could you recommend a good full coverage foundation that has none or less spf in it? Don’t mind price (up to £40) as Dior forever I use is £34 or something anyway. Thank you!

sweetheart Mon 15-Jan-18 15:56:54

Great tips Yoland - can you recommend a foundation? Something that's not too heavy please?

sweetheart Mon 15-Jan-18 16:05:00

Actually could you recommend a primer too?

And maybe a powder?

Sparkletastic Mon 15-Jan-18 16:14:07

Agree on the spf in photos thing.
Other than that it's about defining your best features a little more deftly. Don't go neutral on eyes and lips - colour and depth is needed.

YolandasFridge Mon 15-Jan-18 17:10:19

http://www.instyle.co.uk/how-tos/best-foundations-banish-ghostface-flashback-your-photos

Fantastic article! Any of these foundations are great

YolandasFridge Mon 15-Jan-18 17:13:08

Laura Mercier radiance or regular primer or benefit porefessional if you're oily

MAC for eye base ( paint pots) and shadow

Look at:
Satin Taupe, Bark, Vanilla, Embark

Buy cheap mascara ( I like L'Oréal voluminous/ max factor 2000 calorie) but never cheap eyeshadow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now