Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

M&S new Curve range (plus size)

(48 Posts)
ShotsFired Wed 10-Jan-18 11:18:37

Just got this: www.marksandspencer.com/l/women/plus-size-clothing?extid=SM_FB_P_NOW_WW_Curves

Is supposed to be launched on 23rd, but I saw some of the items yesterday when looking for a jumper online (didn’t realise they were new)

I like the embroidered shirt, but…£45?!
And also the slim leg trousers too.

The rest all seems fairly typically tent-like, with a few exceptions.

humblesims Wed 10-Jan-18 11:21:43

Dont like any of that. sad

Shadow666 Wed 10-Jan-18 11:24:13

Hmm, wraps and tents, wraps and tents.

Does it mean curves as in big boobs or curves as in large but not necessarily curvy?

Ollivander84 Wed 10-Jan-18 11:54:20

It's curve as in plus size. Seems to start at size 18

keely79 Wed 10-Jan-18 11:56:34

Hideous - all frumpy and tent like.

Shadow666 Wed 10-Jan-18 12:50:55

Ah, thanks. I think most of the tops look maternity. Maybe they look better on though. Its all a bit uninspired. Theres nothing reaally stylish.

badbadhusky Wed 10-Jan-18 12:54:08

So much polyester too! That’s one highly flammable collection. grin

Cariadd Wed 10-Jan-18 13:43:38

I dislike all the polyester/acrylic/viscose around at the moment and expensive too. Makes me feel hemmed in and claustrophobic

littlewoollypervert Wed 10-Jan-18 13:48:53

No decent work dresses.
Sleeveless or short sleeved - I don't want to show my upper arms!
Everything kind of clingy or drapey.
All man made.
Did they actually ask anyone over size 18 what they want to wear?
I do like the biker jacket in pale green, and I notice the model is wearing jeans with it. No jeans in the range though.

MiaowTheCat Wed 10-Jan-18 13:54:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

halfwitpicker Wed 10-Jan-18 13:54:27

None of it appeals to me.

KungFuEric Wed 10-Jan-18 14:00:11

The pale green pleather jacket is quite nice.

Everything else is a bit meh.

I'm still waiting for the fat & short range to come out somewhere, for some reason clothes designers think if you're big you must also be tall and statuesque, and petite ranges usually finish at a 14/16 max.

ShotsFired Wed 10-Jan-18 14:06:04

If there is one item of clothing designed to scream "here comes fatty!" it's a longline waterfall cardigan I have several

It all seems designed to be as wide as it is long - "today's fashion is sponsored by the square shape"

And the mesh dress thing looks like she caught it in her knickers.

doowapwap Wed 10-Jan-18 14:13:24

I think they've only released the preview, so when the full collection is realised, it might be better.

2 of the dresses were designed by a plus sized blogger, Danielle (can't remember surname, begins with V).

There were designed with a size 24 woman apparently, to gauge what plus sized women would want.

Personally, there's a couple of things I'd like to try, I like the black checked shirt but after a lot of it is very tent like.

Interesting to see what the rest of the collection will be like!

doowapwap Wed 10-Jan-18 14:14:27

Collection is released not realised. Also, lost my paragraphs when I posted confused

steppemum Wed 10-Jan-18 14:30:26

I'm still waiting for the fat & short range to come out somewhere, for some reason clothes designers think if you're big you must also be tall and statuesque, and petite ranges usually finish at a 14/16 max.

sorry but this made me laugh because I was just about to post the opposite.
I am slightly taller than average, not enough for places like Long Tall Sally, I am 5'8" but I do have long body.

My biggest bug bear with all shops, but M&S are particularly bad, is that their sizes only go wider and wider, and don't take into account the fact people might be taller. What is worse, is that the longer length things which M&S do are only longer in length, they don't ever balance them, where the waist is for example.

I guess they only make clothes for average height, neither tall nor short can fit!

goose1964 Wed 10-Jan-18 14:30:29

Oh my god they're huge, I'd have to buy a size smaller due to the cut and then I'm too small for the range ,oh dear what a pity never mind

Pinkkahori Wed 10-Jan-18 14:33:38

KungFu I'm waiting on that too! Sadly I fear there is no hope for us short fatties. wink
I'm a size 18 but short and I couldn't wear (and wouldn't) wear most of that M&S range. Too wide and boxy and would swamp me.
I like the colours of the v neck jumpers but they look huge. They are called 3/4 sleeve but the sleeves are full length on the model.

Want2beme Wed 10-Jan-18 15:09:15

Who designs this range for M&S? They need to take a look at Mango Violeta and similar, to get half a clue of what people want. Not good M&S.

BuzzKillington Wed 10-Jan-18 15:14:35

Awful! Why do they think fat people want tents and droopiness?

MiddleClassProblem Wed 10-Jan-18 15:23:09

steppemum I’m 5”5 and I have the same problem with the clothes being wide but not long enough, can’t imagine if I were taller! Do they think you are meant to walk around with your hands by your sides?

LightastheBreeze Wed 10-Jan-18 15:35:29

I am 5"10 and the only place which seems to fit me is Next Tall which is only online, I used to shop in M&S but everything its getting wider with sleeves which are too short and everything is boxy. At least they are using plus size models for the new collection though which is quite unusual.

AppleKatie Wed 10-Jan-18 15:40:02

The clothes look dreadful on the (otherwise) attractive model though.

It’s hideous and baggy in the extreme. All the same (awful) shape too. If I had any expectations I’d be disappointed!

ilovecherries Wed 10-Jan-18 15:51:11

Is this the woman you mean, doowap? www.daniellevanier.co.uk I've only recently come out of Plus sizes after decades in them. I could never understand why designers couldn't get the idea that plus size women lead normal Iives, and need basics, workwear, sportswear, etc just like everyone else. And given we tend to run hot, natural fibres at least in clothing you wear all day Half the clothing was polyester tents, and the other half was rockabilly 50s style or tight faux leather gear. When I reached a 22 on the way down it was a huge relief to be able to buy from the much-maligned Boden and places like Poetry and Wrap. And that whole thing about scale - making things wider and wider with no consideration as to the impact that had on darts etc. Bloody nightmare.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Wed 10-Jan-18 15:56:30

I was reading about it and Danielle Vanier earlier...
www.theguardian.com/fashion/2018/jan/09/plus-size-reinvented-curve-marks-and-spencer-range

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: