Talk

Advanced search

Help me fix my Hermione hair!

(21 Posts)
FabalaTheGreenGirl Sun 07-Jan-18 23:47:09

Is there anything that can be done with it? I've booked an appointment at the hairdressers next week and I want to keep it long-ish if I can but I'm really unsure about what kind of cut to go for. (I'm also not looking forward to visiting the stylist, as they hate wrestling with my ridiculous barnet). It's all one length with a side fringe at the front.

I'd also like to get it looking healthy and less frazzled if possible. It's pictured here in its natural state, but I'd normally use GHDs on it because even when I painstakingly blow dry it or let it hair dry it usually ends up like this anyway the minute I go outside. So basically my questions would be:

1. What cut would be best for thick, blunt, wiry hair like this and
2. What are the best hair masks/treatments to use?

Thanks smile

FabalaTheGreenGirl Sun 07-Jan-18 23:51:39

Also: To give you an idea of how unmanageable it is, I've just done a coconut oil treatment, blow-dried it on cool with a paddle brush, doused it liberally with frizz-ease serum and... it still looks exactly like the picture sad

BringBiscuits Sun 07-Jan-18 23:52:02

Maybe not what you want to hear but would you consider a short, choppy pixie cut? Sounds drastic but I have really thick, wavy hair and a pixie cut really made it much more manageable. I still straighten it but it's much quicker. A longer side swept fringe still makes it feel feminine.

mrsharrison Sun 07-Jan-18 23:53:30

A brazilian keratin blow dry will sort it. Its changed my life.

BringBiscuits Sun 07-Jan-18 23:53:41

And to answer your question, I don't think masks or treatments do anything long term but that's just me!

FabalaTheGreenGirl Sun 07-Jan-18 23:54:38

I have considered it! I have quite heavy, masculine features though so it might not work. I'm also not that fond of my face so I sometimes like having hair to hide behind on "off" days!

FabalaTheGreenGirl Sun 07-Jan-18 23:57:00

I would love to rock a pixie cut though bringbiscuits!

This is my face from the front (cringe) for added info:

BringBiscuits Mon 08-Jan-18 04:02:05

You could easily carry off a pixie chop! What amazing cheekbones! I don't think you have heavy , masculine features at all. A bold chop will really change your look and be much easier to manage. Good luck! And come back with photos once you're done!

DurhamDurham Mon 08-Jan-18 05:17:57

Before going for a drastic change which you might regret you could change your routine. After you’ve put frizease on leave your hair to dry naturally, I wash my hair on an evening and put it up and leave to dry. It looks so much better than drying it on even a low setting of the hairdryer. I also only brush/comb my hair when wet, I never touch it once it’s dry.
Good luck smile

Loulou0 Mon 08-Jan-18 05:52:46

I have similar hair to yours! I use aveda shampoo and conditioner, moroccan oil serum and my amazing Dyson hairdryer and ghd's to smooth it out and I can get it lovely and glossy.

My hairdresser also 'takes out some of the weignt' when she cuts it. She kind of goes in the middle and cuts slices out so I keep the length but lose some of the bulk..? She also puts long layers in. Not really sure what that means.

I have my hair cut and coloured every 6 weeks and this seems to help.

Also if have time I use a curling wand to curl the ends, it kind of makes it look less heavy and blunt and a bit more swishy if that makes sense.

It would definitely swap the frizz ease for the moroccan oil if you can. It's more expensive but lasts months and is so worth it.

Can't believe you think you have heavy features though, you look lovely and could definitley pull of a pixie crop!

RavingRoo Mon 08-Jan-18 08:30:52

Keep it long but try the curly girl method. My hair was almost exactly like yours (less smooth, am Indian and have wiry hair) and the loc method has given me lovely shiny hair again.

FabalaTheGreenGirl Mon 08-Jan-18 08:54:38

Thank you all so much for the advice! I was thinking of getting a major chop in the summer so I'll think about a shorter cut then. smile

WetsTheVet Mon 08-Jan-18 09:01:02

@RavingRoo I've just been googling the LOC method after reading your post. I have very thick hair with a good natural wave, Jewish though not Asian or Afro hair - do you think this method would still help mine with the dryness? Do you dry it or just leave to naturally dry after oiling and creaming?

Rosielily Mon 08-Jan-18 09:04:57

My hair is frizzier than yours and I have regular Brazilian blow dries which mean I can blow dry it perfectly straight! 😀

RavingRoo Mon 08-Jan-18 09:05:07

Definitely. I’m Indian but have an ‘arab afro’ so need length in my hair to give it weight, so we probably have similar hair in that context. I just let it dry naturally. I use coconut hair oil before shampooing, letting it soak in for an hour, then shampoo then conditioner then leave in conditioner then serum.

WetsTheVet Mon 08-Jan-18 09:09:01

Cool thanks, think I'll give it a try! Anything to tame the Jew-fro wink

FabalaTheGreenGirl Sat 13-Jan-18 12:23:26

Update: just got back from the salon, and this is what I did with my Hermione hair.

geordiepidge Sun 14-Jan-18 13:16:18

Gorgeous! You're really beautiful. Hair looks fab.

Polkadot1974 Sun 14-Jan-18 19:18:05

You look amazing and those cheekbones. You’re not masculine you nutter! You’re gorgeous

ohanabanana Sun 14-Jan-18 20:31:59

I’ve got naturally frizzy and curly hair which i have dyed for over 20 years. It is in terrible condition and won’t grow because it breaks off. I was recently recommended elasterciser which has made my hair dramatically more manageable. It’s quite easy now to straighten and the frizz is tamed. Also much less break off so I’m hoping it will now start to grow.

Jaxinthebox Sun 14-Jan-18 20:37:01

you have a beautiful shaped face!
I second Brazilian Blowdry - I have thick, wavy hair and it frizzes like Chrystal Tips in the slightest humidity. It will honestly make a massive difference to you. Drying time, styling time halved for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now