Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

The Ordinary confusion

(39 Posts)
ChaircatMiaow Wed 03-Jan-18 22:42:35

For those of you that use and love The Ordinary products, could I please get some advice?

I’m dying to try the products based on rave reviews on another thread but am so confused about what’s what and what to use.

My skin is dehydrated with some hormonal acne, and at 37 I probably should be using anti-aging products also. I get that the retinoids are anti aging, but which ones are the cleansers or moisturisers? So the Buffet looks good for my dehydrated skin, but isn’t that contradicted by the Niacinny-minny-thingy which helps with acne but removes oil?

Perhaps it’s my baby related sleep deprivation talking but I feel like I need a chemistry degree to figure it all out. Help!

MaggieWaggie41 Wed 03-Jan-18 23:04:09

I'm new to The Ordinary, so far I purchased The Buffet, caffeine eye cream(I use it under my kiehl 's avocado eye cream) , halouric serum and magnesium cream, I'm 40, I can definitely see the improvement in my skin, I haven't got issues with acne, so unfortunately can't help you with it, but I have heard that you start with the lowest retinod concentration, it will be 0,2.. I definitely don't feel like I need it, my skin looks pretty good, unfortunately they don't do cleanser, I'm using Sarah Chapman, it's really good. Hope that helps

MaggieWaggie41 Wed 03-Jan-18 23:05:21

Oh and if anyone knows the brand very well, can I have some advice as well please grin

TynesideBlonde Wed 03-Jan-18 23:13:29

Following!

retainertrainer Thu 04-Jan-18 07:30:23

I’m new to the Ordinary too and I’ve learned that you’ve got to start really slowly. One product,one week at a time.

I’ve built up gradually and am now using

-buffet
-hyaluronic acid 2%
-very small amount of alpha arbutine
-cold pressed rose hip oil

I’m not introducing anything else now for a few months.

My skin is (was) dehydrated. I get hormonal spots and I’ve got some scarring. I’m 37.

LostInShoebiz Thu 04-Jan-18 08:38:20

I've got adult acne and I'm alternating Niacinamide one night with Granactive retanoid the next (usually retanoid on a night when I don't have clean hair as it's a bit greasy). I'm using Buffet in the morning. Also, each has something else over it afterwards that is heavier so normal SPF moisturiser in the morning (essential when using a retanoid) and either oil free moisturiser or Kiehl's facial oil at night (with Niacinamide and retanoid respectively).

So far so good but I've heard retanoid use can plateau so it's important to alternate, take breaks, etc. so I don't take retanoid with me on leisure or work trips.

DrRanjsRightEyebrow Thu 04-Jan-18 08:39:31

enail Victoria Health or Deciem and they will give you a regime to suit your skin type and goals.

HotSteppa Thu 04-Jan-18 08:48:30

http://www.honestyforyourskin.co.uk/the-ordinary-review/

This might be helpful though to be honest I'm still paralysed by indecision. I mean, definitely have signs of aging but also the greasy fod/dry cheeks of combo skin. Also permanently red in the face though not sure any skin care can sort that one out 😂

Writersblock2 Thu 04-Jan-18 11:57:45

I love The Ordinary. Their primer is amazing and dirt cheap. I also really love the BHA/AHA mask (that looks like you are wearing blood on your face) - it's done wonders to my skin. I've gone from scaly and dry and very red to strangers telling me I have amazing skin.
I also use the lactic acid every few days, the rose hip oil, buffet and the Vit C liquid. I don't use everything every day, but I do make sure I use one form of acid in some way every night (I also use Paula's choice AHA liquid). I swear blind it's the acid that have made all the difference. My moisturisers are basic Nivea night and day creams.

Talisin Thu 04-Jan-18 12:25:57

Niacinamide and Buffet go fine together, I use them both every morning. If you’re dehydrated then it’s water your skin needs, not oil so the oil reducing niacinamide followed by the hyaluronic acid-containing Buffet works well. If you’re really dehydrated then I’d also recommend the pure hyaluronic acid they do for areas like around the eyes and nose where skin gets tight or flakey.

Iusedtobecarmen Thu 04-Jan-18 23:47:23

Can someone advise me?
I'm in my 40s. Ok skin . Clear. V. Rare get spots. Skin dry ish.
Problem areas-Lines on forehead. I have BOTOX 2 x a year. Lines around eyes-botox 1 -2 times a year.
Bit of scarring around temples from chicken pox.
I normally use lush ultrabland to cleanse. Or sometimes una Brennan facial oil.
Aldi serum and moisturiser generally but more expensive stuff now and then.

Iusedtobecarmen Thu 04-Jan-18 23:49:07

Oh and nip and fab cleansing pads and plain rose water as toner.

riledandharrassed Thu 04-Jan-18 23:59:06

You MUST join the facebook group “The Ordinary and deciem chat room “ it is amazing !! Everyone is so smart and helpful xx

riledandharrassed Fri 05-Jan-18 00:00:28

Ps using all the active ingredients you need to be wearing sunscreen everyday ! You should be anyway but the actives increased sensitivity and risk of sundamage so even more important xx

AlexanderHamilton Fri 05-Jan-18 00:05:12

There's a brilliant skincare/ingredients thread (or rather threads) here with some very knowledgable posters.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/3130064--Fantastic-Skincare-Happy-Snail-Year-Bring-Spoons

The Ordinary has been discussed a lot.

Iusedtobecarmen Fri 05-Jan-18 00:12:17

Im not on Facebook so need normal advice on here!

ChaircatMiaow Fri 05-Jan-18 09:44:07

Thanks lovely ladies for all your replies.

Drranj I took your advice and emailed Deciem and this was their recommendation:

AM
The Ordinary “Buffet” - A multi-technology peptide serum that targets various visible signs of ageing at once.
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 - A multi-depth hydration support serum that contains 3 hyaluronic acid complexes at multiple molecular weights and Vitamin B5.
The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% - A high-strength vitamin and mineral formula that visibly targets the look of blemishes and signs of congestion. Niacinamide has also been shown to have a visible brightening effect.

PM
The Ordinary "Buffet"
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5
The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10% - A multifunctional brightening formula that visibly targets uneven tone, textural irregularities and the look of blemishes.

I’m going to buy them all, with the exception of the Azelaic acid. Firstly, it’s not available in this country, and secondly I would prefer a retinoid for anti aging purposes. Based on your advice and links, think I will get the Granactive.

Given the reviews on here which are bordering on religious, I fully expect to wake up some morning soon looking like a supermodel version of my 20 year old self. Perhaps I need to dial it back a bit grin

yrhengi Fri 05-Jan-18 10:50:04

Can anyone recommend a really good daily moisturiser with SPF? I know if you're using acids you should probably be using a designated sunblock rather than a souped-up moisturiser, but my skin's quite sensitive and I'm wary of layering more and more product on. At the moment I'm using Boots Your Good Face SPF30 moisturiser (emergency holiday buy) and it's good, but stings if it runs into your eyes.

yrhengi Fri 05-Jan-18 10:52:12

Sorry! Should have added that i've been using The Ordinary Buffet under moisturiser for a couple of months now, and it's made a visible difference to my dehydrated skin. I've also got the Azaelaic Acid suspensions and the Vit C suspension but am trying to take things slowly so I can see what works.

Also worth trying are the foundations - amazing quality for under £6. I just wish they'd do a cleanser now.

Thehairthebod Fri 05-Jan-18 10:56:28

I am a similar age and skin type as you and have tried a few of The Ordinary products now.

Things I have found good:
Buffet - this is probably the best skin care product I've ever used, I love it and am on my third bottle
Niacinamide (or whatever it's called) for the spots.
Glycolic acid sometimes for exfoliating.

Things I have been 'meh' on:
The rosehip oil, although others rave about it.
Salacylic acid - didn't do anything and really emulsified on my skin, it was weird, maybe I used too much. I might give this another go soon.
The high adherence primer - it's OK, but I think I will go back to Lanacane!

Haven't tried any retinoids yet, am a bit scared, but might go there next.

Generally though for the price, The Ordinary products are excellent and a real game changer as people realise you don't have to pay ridiculous money for good skin care.

Thehairthebod Fri 05-Jan-18 10:57:09

Oh yes also mean to say I tried the hyaluronic acid as well - it was ok, but didn't really do much compared to The Buffet.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Fri 05-Jan-18 11:00:09

I've been using Resveratrol and Ferulic.

It's lovely.,

Jerseysilkvelour Fri 05-Jan-18 12:10:41

My skin is the same as yours OP.

I agree with pp who said go slow and add one thing at a time, I accidentally pissed off my skin last year by using too many things!

Currently I use:

Morning -

Glycolic acid toner
Argireline solution
Caffeine solution (eyes)
Hylauronic acid
Azaleic acid

Evening -

Glycolic acid toner
Body shop eye cream
Argireline
Salycilic acid
Marula oil (best for acne prone skin apparently)

riledandharrassed Fri 05-Jan-18 13:51:03

The glycolic toner shouldn’t be used twice a day or in the morning really . Very drying . Also are you using an SPF? Strongly advised with these actives especially gylcolic .

Spf wise for a PP: LRP anthelios face is a good one . I personally use Nivea water gel spf 50 ordered in from Japan on amazon . It’s holy grail cult product and recommended by a lot of scientist skin bloggers like Lab Muffin ! Xx

riledandharrassed Fri 05-Jan-18 13:52:03

Also re the salycilic acid , I found it emulsified on me too but used at night and saw results after 6 weeks which was slower than I expected

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: