Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

D.I.Y anti frizz treatments

(26 Posts)
AlmostChristmas Wed 20-Dec-17 17:53:35

So, I have had 2 salon applied Keratese treatments. The results were fantastic but I can't really justify the cost at £200 a pop! I have mid length but very very thick hair.

Is there any risk in doing this at home? I like the idea but am full of worry that my hair will break at the root!

AlmostChristmas Wed 20-Dec-17 19:27:44

Any advice?

ApplesTheHare Wed 20-Dec-17 20:04:08

How frizzy/curly is your hair? have no experience of keratese treatments but have got lots of curly, frizzy hair and find that weekly deep conditions and using a smoothing hot air styler works really well.

bendywindy Wed 20-Dec-17 21:54:01

what's that? like a brazilian blow dry? i've done them at home it is easy! you can buy the goo on amazon and need some (cheap) super hot straighteners. (the expensive ones do not get hot enough).

AlmostChristmas Wed 20-Dec-17 22:32:45

Yes, the same as a Brazilian blow dry- under a different name.

My hair is dry, curly, straight and wavy all over with mega frizz. Only tamed by lengthy sessions with a hair straightener l which leads to breakage. Therefore my hair never grows.

I wash it as little as possible as it's a mission. As soon as I hit humidity or drizzle poof I'm like an 80s Tina turner! Seriously big hair 😂

AlmostChristmas Wed 20-Dec-17 22:59:38

I have Cloud 9's so what cheap straighteners would you recommend?

EnidButton Wed 20-Dec-17 23:44:56

These are pretty good and on offer atm m.lookfantastic.com/redken-heatcure-at-home-self-heating-mask-100ml/11346908.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&thg_ppc_campaign=71700000026979853&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIno_syOKZ2AIVTLftCh0DlwBmEAQYASABEgI-VfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPWp187imdgCFc0TGwod8ToMFw

AlmostChristmas Thu 21-Dec-17 09:01:38

Thanks Enid. So at the moment it's going to cost me around £50 all in, if I purchase the straighteners. Then around £25 each treatment that definitely beats £200 salon price.

I'm just a tad worried I'm going to have some serious breakage if I get it wrong! shock

bendywindy Thu 21-Dec-17 17:22:14

@AlmostChristmas i bought (second time round) a big bottle not a kit for about £25! search on amazon for straighteners 220 degrees they are less than £25! i really don't think you can damage your hair doing this it might worst case scenario just not work!

bendywindy Thu 21-Dec-17 17:22:57

probs 4 treatments in this bottle (for my hair) !

SausageChipsAndCurrySauce Thu 21-Dec-17 17:24:19

Watching with interest for ideas....

AlmostChristmas Fri 22-Dec-17 19:22:47

Ok, I think I'm going to bite the bullet. Next question- recommendations for sulpha free shampoos and conditioners that can be found on the high street. I'd like to keep the ££s down if possible blush

AlmostChristmas Tue 26-Dec-17 19:03:20

Sorry to bumpblush

Any Suggestions of Sulphur free shampoos and conditioners found on the high street?

TidyLike Tue 26-Dec-17 21:48:12

Best thing I did for frizz is stop using sulphates and silicones ... Google 'curly girl method' and try that. There's a nice support group on FB which is good for advice, especially for newbies. It's dead cheap too ... I get my hair products from pound shops and it's never looked better :D

oursofas Tue 26-Dec-17 21:50:27

I find sulphate free shampoos in T K Maxx mostly.

AlmostChristmas Tue 26-Dec-17 22:14:53

Thanks all.

My hair is not curly, wavy or straight- it's a bit of everything. It is however frizzmanic- not in a good way! fhmm

I've looked at CG but don't think I'm a suitable candidate. The Keratese treatment (aka BBD) worked wonders but is £££s. fshock

So I think the DIY method is my next stop just don't want to Matthew mistake of washing out all the hard work with the wrong products! fblush

AlmostChristmas Tue 26-Dec-17 22:15:44

Matthew is probably my last hope 🤪

Aridane Tue 26-Dec-17 22:18:02

Almist - I posted some recommendations on another thread. Will try to link that thread.

Aridane Tue 26-Dec-17 22:18:53

(Plus recommendations for cheap Brazilians)

Aridane Tue 26-Dec-17 22:22:58

Here you go - www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/3115094-Brazilian-blow-dry-advice

Aridane Tue 26-Dec-17 22:23:58

Make sure your shampoo / conditioner is Salt (chloride) free as well as sulphate free. Salt washes out the keratin treatment

building2017 Tue 26-Dec-17 23:27:35

Yes to Cucumbers shampoo and conditioner seems to free of nasties. I like it. Leaves my fair extremely flat and shiny which isn't great for me as I want a bit more volume but could be perfect for you!

AlmostChristmas Thu 28-Dec-17 11:07:17

Oh great, thanks all. Willlet you know how I get on. Have to wait a week or so as I've had my hair coloured not so long ago.

AlmostChristmas Mon 08-Jan-18 12:24:40

Ok, I've done it.

Quite straight forward. It did make my eyes water and I felt chesty- I had the windows open too.

So far, so good. End result is nice and I only used half the product. I have thick, just below shoulder length hair. I guess this was used sparingly!

Now I have to wait 3 days until o can wash it and then see the real results.

I was in a semi panic most the way through the procedure thinking my hair might fall out shock Of course this is still a possibility!

SwinginFromTheChandelier Sat 13-Jan-18 21:21:36

Can report that it has worked really well! No frizz but I do have to run the straighteners through. Although it only takes 5 mins as apposed to 45!

How often do I have to re- treat my hair? Think I'm gonna love thisgrin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: