Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Anyone had a tongue piercing recently?

(32 Posts)
duckyisback Sat 16-Dec-17 14:12:10

I have wanted my tongue pierced for years now but have been too much of a wimp.

Have decided it's now or never and am going to get it done Monday.... hopefully!

Has anyone had this done recently? Ive had a fair few piercings but the thought of this one scares me grin

Mainly wanted to know how painful it is and how was the healing process?

Writersblock2 Sat 16-Dec-17 19:24:24

Not recently but I had three in my tongue st one time, a few years ago. I didn’t find the actual piercing itself too bad to be honest, but the swelling after is a pain in the backside. But lots of soft foods and be prepared not to speak for a few days. Loved mine though.

DancingHouse Sat 16-Dec-17 20:05:37

They'll give you a long bar because of the swelling which hurts more than the piercing itself and because it's a long bar it's easy to catch on food or your teeth as you eat or brush your teeth. It'll settle down after a week or two. Just make sure to swill with salt water after eating to reduce the risk of infection.

I let it close up due to my job and then had it pierced again when I finished that job. It heals much faster second time around, only 1-2 days.

PaperdollCartoon Sat 16-Dec-17 20:07:00

Not recently but when I did (12ish years ago) I had some numbing spray which I’d definitely recommend. It’s over in a second though, the swelling for a week after is more annoying!

katmarie Sat 16-Dec-17 20:12:11

Mine swelled for well over a week but after that it was fine, and as others have said the swelling is much worse than the piercing itself. I had to remove it in the end because it was rubbing on the backof my teeth and causing my gums to recede, and my dentist advised me to remove it.

mistermagpie Sat 16-Dec-17 20:22:19

I had mine done about 15 years ago so not recently, but it wasn't particularly sore and healed really well. The swelling was awful though and I worked at call centre at the time and could barely get my words out for the first few days! I've never taken mine out and it's been fine.

duckyisback Sat 16-Dec-17 21:25:46

Thanks everyone, I'm really nervous! Worried about the whole speaking/eating thing.

I've heard a lot of people saying it's really not that painful to get pierced, but then an odd few say it was excruciating blush

IdaDown Sat 16-Dec-17 21:27:39

Are you sure you want it done this side of Christmas? Just thinking of when I had mine done. The swelling and it was painful to eat for a few days. Oh, and I remember dribbling at night grin

duckyisback Sat 16-Dec-17 21:37:58

Haha well I was hoping that I'd be able to eat for Christmas if I got it done Monday! I have no idea though!

There's always mash potato grin

arousingcheer Sat 16-Dec-17 21:56:03

Mine was fine (no pain/litle discomfort) but it did fuck up a number of my teeth and the dental work required has caused much more pain and expense than the piercing.
On the other hand I've got a labret that hasn't given me a moment's trouble.
The very best thing I did post-piercing was rinse with Listerine. It numbed anything that was a bit sore.

Neiflette Sat 16-Dec-17 21:57:28

I have a "scoop" tongue piercing.

Neiflette Sat 16-Dec-17 21:58:17

Pain was minimal - nose and ear cartilage hurt more. Swelling is a monster.

ferociousindependentandsquishy Sat 16-Dec-17 22:44:05

I've had mine done 3 times, the first two I couldn't handle the swelling phase. I got really fed up when it felt like it was dragging on too long and took it out. I had it done for the last time a couple of years ago, but got really stubborn about keeping it in, it's been bliss since it settled (a couple of weeks). Having it done wasn't that bad, I've got a few piercings and it's not the worst by far. Good luck on Monday smile

duckyisback Sat 16-Dec-17 22:58:31

Neiflette what is a scoop?

Ferocious, the swelling I am dreading the most now I think!

ferociousindependentandsquishy Sat 16-Dec-17 23:18:40

As long as you're prepared for it to suck, you'll probably find it's not nearly as bad as expected. Ice water to drink and a good mouthwash help

MistressDeeCee Sun 17-Dec-17 00:48:38

DD had a tongue piercing. Your tongue will swell a bit and you will have a lisp for a while

Neiflette Sun 17-Dec-17 01:01:22

A scoop is like an eyebrow piercing through the tongue. It's curved and gives the appearance of having 2 normal tongue piercings.

ProseccoMamam Sun 17-Dec-17 01:58:23

No pain what so ever. They give you a mouth wash thing that completely numbs your mouth, so do carry a tissue in case you dribble afterwards. People say it's hard to eat for a few days after. Bullshit i had KFC half an hour after I had it pierced. Carry antibacterial mouthwash with you and rinse your mouth out with it after eating and drinking for a few weeks to stop infection (obviously not one with alcohol in because that would sting like fuck). But yeah, probably the most painless piercing ever and it heals quicker than others as it's an oral piercing

ProseccoMamam Sun 17-Dec-17 02:02:33

And the swelling can be taken down easily with ibuprofen, but I never had an issue with that, and definitely no issue with a lisp or speaking? The swelling went down almost instantly for me but I think I did take 2 ibuprofen (I say think - it could have been paracetamol) straight after I'd had it done, and the water helps get the rubber glove taste out of your mouth.

andylovesme Sun 17-Dec-17 02:40:00

That sounds scary. One of my friends have a tongue piercing and I tell her "how could you take the pain?". Good luck with the piercing!!

tralaaa Sun 17-Dec-17 07:25:12

I fainted when I had mine done

Hastalapasta Sun 17-Dec-17 07:45:05

Good luck! Taken mine out now, but had it for 15yrs. Slight swelling, no pain on piercing. Lots of salt water rinse. Drank soup through a staw the first evening, had a beer with a straw the next day. You will be fine.

duckyisback Sun 17-Dec-17 08:03:55

Thanks everyone will definitely take some ibuprofen then!

duckyisback Mon 18-Dec-17 22:22:37

Just an update in case it interests anyone!

I got my tongue done today. Absolutely the least painful piercing I have had. I didn't even know they had done it!

Little bit uncomfortable where the ball sits under the tongue but other wise good! Took my nurofen and have been having iced water.

Cant figure out how to eat yet though hmm

AlannaOfTrebond Mon 18-Dec-17 22:36:58

You'll be fine. Totally agree it's the least painful piercing.

Just be careful not to have anything too hot until the anaesthetic wears off! ( Burnt mine really badly and was convinced I had gone through a nerve and would never be able to taste anything again!)

20 years later, I still love mine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: