Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

GHD IV straighteners

(14 Posts)
ShuttyTown Fri 15-Dec-17 10:50:41

Anyone have these? I need to get some ordered today as my Xmas pressie off DH, I've read the reviews and overall they seem brilliant but there were a few negative ones, such as the broke multiple times, don't heat up very hot etc.

I have thick wavy frizzy hair and need something that will work a miracle. I had GHD's years ago and loved them but a bit of research this morning has shown that apparently within the last few years they have changed them somehow and they aren't as good!

I'd looked at Cloud 9's instead but they are more expensive and I can't really afford them.

Any advice?

DandySeaLioness Fri 15-Dec-17 10:56:57

I have them, they're lovely. They heat up very fast and glide through the hair easily. Not sure what more I could tell you smile

ShuttyTown Fri 15-Dec-17 11:06:17

Thanks @DandySeaLioness do they help to keep your hair straight all day?

DandySeaLioness Fri 15-Dec-17 11:20:56

@ShuttyTown yes my hair stays straight all day but, to be completely honest with you, I haven't used any other straighteners in years so can't compare.

ShuttyTown Fri 15-Dec-17 11:38:29

@DandySeaLioness lol ok, thanks. I've ordered them, I'm sure they'll be great grin

DandySeaLioness Fri 15-Dec-17 15:59:42

I'm sure you'll love them smile

specialsubject Fri 15-Dec-17 16:49:42

I've got some. Not entirely convinced, don't get as hot as my cheapies. Got a hint on here to slow down the run down the hair so am trying that.

Bit crap design, switch on inside and light flashes red when ready to use and keeps flashing. Guessing art student not engineer.

JaneEyre70 Fri 15-Dec-17 16:54:42

I know you've ordered them now OP - I've just bought my youngest DD a pair, and frankly they aren't a patch on the original version. They don't get anywhere near as hot, feel horribly cheap and plasticky and I couldn't get a curl in mine with them at all. I think they've had their day - they've gone for quantity now not quality and there are far better out there. I've got a pair of Corioliss that are far superior and were around £60.

ShuttyTown Fri 15-Dec-17 17:00:45

Oh no!! Wish I hadn't ordered them now 😔

CantChoose Fri 15-Dec-17 22:15:12

Sorry, came in to say the same as Jane, I've gone back to using my 2006 pair I found in my bedroom at my parents!
My new ones don't meet properly and pull my hair out. Appalling for the price!

CantChoose Fri 15-Dec-17 22:15:35

I've heard that the quality is inconsistent though so you might be lucky and get a good pair!

Cakescakescakes Sat 16-Dec-17 16:41:02

Yes they don’t get as hot these days. To be honest you’d be better returning them unopened. If you have thick frizzy hair you really need something that beats to 230 degrees like old ghds used to years ago. The new ones only go to about 190 and don’t keep my hair straight for longer ha t an hour or so. Try some of the Remington ones from boots etc. The important thing is the temperature. If it says 230 then they’ll be fine.

Cakescakescakes Sat 16-Dec-17 16:42:10

The technology in other brands has caught up and ghds are nothing special anymore. Anyone who likes the new ones probably has fairly straight hair to begin with. They’re useless now for anyone with thick frizzy wavy hair.

IheartNiles Sat 16-Dec-17 18:15:54

I bought DD platinum ghds this year and bought myself cloud 9s. The cloud 9s are much better and straighten it in one sweep.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: