Talk

Advanced search

What on Earth can a post menopausal (dumpy) woman wear?

(3 Posts)
SukiTheDog Thu 14-Dec-17 21:45:49

I’m 55. Post menopausal. My face is fine most days but....my body’s just had it.

I walk a lot (have a large dog so, walk up to 2 hours daily, seven days a week). After a lifetime of losing a stone/gaining a stone/ losing a stone etc etc, I flatly refuse to “diet” but I’m aware of looking a mess in clothes and worse, naked. I feel too young to just give up but, the “middle aged spread” for me, is a reality. I feel un-sexy. I’m embarrassed to undress infront of DH. He hasn’t seen me unclothed, unless I’m in my knickers for ten months 😐. I feel like “it’s” all over.

I live in leggings, long jumpers and wellies though do scrub up fairly well at the weekends.

What can I wear? I feel fat in jeans and have taken to looking pretty frumpy most of the time. Is this how it’s meant to be? I feel comfortable in my dog-walking-wellies-waterproofs-Puffa gear but I’d avoid going out rather than have to get done up.

Am I odd? Should I settle for comfortable shoes and Edinburgh Wollen Mill?

ilovecherries Thu 14-Dec-17 22:11:39

Well, there's no rule that you HAVE to 'make an effort'. If you are happy then embrace it. But if you want to try different things, I like hush, poetry, and wrap for comfy, easy fitting clothes that still have a touch of elegance about them. I tend to avoid places like fatface, joules, white company etc because they are generally a bit over patterned and 'jolly' for me. I get the odd thing from Boden. I always wear flat shoes because of lower limb surgery. I'm a bit older then you, and have recently lost 4 stone, so I'm finding a new interest in clothes. smile

SukiTheDog Thu 14-Dec-17 22:57:03

ILoveCherries that’s an incredible weight loss! No wonder you’re enjoying your clothes. For me, I always had a Ok figure. Curvy but comfortably so. Now, nothing fits, everything’s tight. Go on a diet, I guess but ohhhh! It’s SO dreary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now