Talk

Advanced search

Please recommend me a foundation - my skin has changed!

(20 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Thu 14-Dec-17 00:08:25

Getting older I guess (38!) and the foundations I used to use for my oily, prone to spots skin no longer fit the bill. My skin is a LOT drier than it used to be. I've always had to use oil free foundations in the past but these now seem too thick, dry and hard to blend on me. I don't want to feel greasy though.

I no longer have breakouts but years of acne in my teens and twenties have left me with quite uneven skin tone. I couldn't get away with BB cream so I do need at least moderate coverage.

I'm using no.7 (the matte one) at the moment but more usually wear Benefit Oxygen wow. I'm happy to pay Benefit prices but open to suggestions in other price ranges!

Anyone got skin like me and a great foundation???

sergeantmajor Thu 14-Dec-17 17:53:31

Following ... have the same problem...

TheOneWhoKnocks Thu 14-Dec-17 17:59:04

Revlon Colourstay for dry/normal skin, applied thinly with a Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. Not to be mistaken for the oily/combo skin version, which is in almost identical packaging. I have similar skin and it’s the best I’ve found.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 14-Dec-17 19:05:49

See realistically I am far too lazy to use a brush and sometimes have to put my face on at traffic lights while driving to work

Corcra Thu 14-Dec-17 20:30:43

Putting foundation on with a brush saves time and gives a lovely even finish I find.
I like true match foundation and Dior forever.

jenthehen Thu 14-Dec-17 20:38:51

I tried the mac compact foundation but really didn't get on with it. I have now started using Elizabeth Arden tinted moisturiser and really get on with it, you can build it up too if required.

TheOneWhoKnocks Thu 14-Dec-17 20:41:31

That particular brush is <much> quicker for me than applying by hand, and gives a much better finish. Might be worth a shot :-).

IHeartKingThistle Thu 14-Dec-17 20:43:21

Oh God am I going to have to start doing my makeup IN THE HOUSE?!

Sunny779 Thu 14-Dec-17 20:48:16

Armani power fabric or YSL touché eclat. Second one good when your skin dry and worth the money. A good CC cream - Nuxe good but tend to be better on darker skin tone. Clarins concealer is also the bollocks.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 14-Dec-17 20:50:21

Ooh this is stuff I haven't even heard of! I had a Touche Eclat once and reacted to it - it made my eyes really sore.

DaftCat Thu 14-Dec-17 20:54:29

I’ve just started using The Ordinary’s new foundation. The medium/full coverage one. It’s very very good so far, I apply it with one of those big oval brushes that look like oversized toothbrushes, mine was a princely £5.50 from Primark. I reckon it’d be ok applied with fingers too though but I find brushes or a blender easier & faster.

Sunny779 Thu 14-Dec-17 20:54:59

There's the touché eclat pen but also a foundation. Prob best avoided then. Another good brand is The Ordinary - great foundation, great price and colours. A facial oil at night can work wonders when your skin is up and down - if you have oily skin it won't make it worse it's really nourishing

NathalieM Mon 18-Dec-17 16:11:10

I have combination skin and I find it so stressful to find a foundation that caters to me! Not strictly answering your foundation question, however what is your skin care routine like? I have managed to even my skin tone out through using some spa products and some new masks from the brand Maskeraide – I have been loving the Detox Diva one, but I had to research loads and test out different products to finally find one that worked for me. I have heard lots about the Estee lauder double wear foundation being really good coverage wise!

Dexywexy Mon 18-Dec-17 16:21:46

I always used to have oily skin but in recent years it has been more on the dry side. I am in my 40s now. Body shop fresh nude foundation has been great for me. My skin has stopped coming out in spots since I have been using it. It's the only foundation I have ever stuck with. I changed to their vitamin C moisturizer at the same time so maybe it is the combination of both has been good for my skin.

RockinRobinTweets Mon 18-Dec-17 16:26:04

Estée Lauder double wear light is good
Lancôme teint idole ultra

Loveagoodbook Mon 18-Dec-17 21:12:11

Following as my skin sounds exactly the same 😓

IHeartKingThistle Mon 18-Dec-17 22:07:32

OK so I am experimenting with a No. 7 foundation- Stay perfect I think it's called. It feels absolutely lovely and the colour is great AND it's not sticking to my dry bits. It's much more sheer than the Beautifully Matte I have been using though, much less thick. Think it'll take me a while to get used to not having such full coverage but I actually think it looks pretty good. It's only been 2 days so will report back if I end up with a face full of boils or something!

Goosegettingfat Tue 19-Dec-17 02:27:15

I am similar age and have similar skin to you. I swear by the Liz Earle ones (either skin tint or other one depending on how much coverage you like)

Beautifullymixed Tue 19-Dec-17 03:10:48

OP I was going to suggest the no7 stay perfect foundation when you said you use beautifully matte.
It's an amazing foundation, and really does give a lovely finish to the skin.
I have combination skin, which can be super oily or dehydrated and flaky. This foundation caters to it all, applying ultra smoothly with a beauty sponge, and smoothing out the skin.
It doesn't leave me dry, flaky or cakey at all. Just looks like natural skin - but better.
I then use concealer for under eyes, hyperpigmentation and blemishes.

I do have to powder on top and blot throughout the day though, but find that's worth it for the finish. Matte foundations highlight dry patches and fine lines imo, making me look a lot older.

I have also never had such a brilliant colour match. It really is a fantastic foundation.

Beautifullymixed Tue 19-Dec-17 03:17:23

I always use a primer as well, and haven't broken out at all with the stay perfect foundation.
That's a miracle in itself, as I have rosacea and am prone to whiteheads and cystic acne.
It can be sheered out by mixing primer with it, made more moisturizing with a drop of jojoba oil added, or even made slightly matte (for longer days) with a drop of the beautifully matte foundation added to it.
It's a fab all rounder, and I'm surprised more people haven't tried it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now