Talk

Advanced search

High Street Wedding Dresses

(16 Posts)
LastMinuteDottCom Wed 13-Dec-17 01:22:19

I'm pretty new to Mumsnet and I'd like to thank the community in general for highlighting the practical/security reasons for marriage.

I've always been a Disney dreamer - love, castles, dress of the century type, but the recent birth of my 3rd child and finding Mumsnet has changed all of that

As a stay at home mum, I'm aware just how vulnerable my position is, and a few recent incidents have brought this reality home.

As a result, I've pushed for us to book a wedding. Although it's not my fairy tale, I'm keen to get it done.

Naturally this last minute approach has left me with limited with dress options. I have a C-section overhang/general mess so I would like something structured. I'm also big of boob so something that accommodates a bra is essential.

Because of time, I need something from the high street, and on a budget.

We'll do a 'big' event over the summer, but for now I need something affordable yet wedding-y, and I'm not bothered whether it's long or short.

Do you have any non obvious shop suggestions?

I've got 3 weeks.

Shit.

Notreallyhappy Wed 13-Dec-17 07:21:29

I had mine from monsoon under £200.
Have you looked on online debenhams do a range to.
There are lots of occasion dresses about now that could be suitable

Notreallyhappy Wed 13-Dec-17 07:22:48

Misguided and asos do a line too.

hedlesschicken Wed 13-Dec-17 07:29:43

Congratulations!! How exciting to be getting married 👰

A lot of bridal shops have sale rails. I had
mine from off it. Mine was mori lee dress and not a bed price....

Ted baker
monsoon
John Lewis
Next
Bhs

These all do wedding dresses

CrabappleCake Wed 13-Dec-17 07:31:40

I got a dress in the sale at Debenhams, £70 and with a bit of empire line to skim.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 13-Dec-17 07:36:58

What's the budget?

Wed2B is a wedding dress shop where you buy off the rack for about £600. They are dotted about the country.

YCAWS Wed 13-Dec-17 07:40:01

What size are you OP? I've got a £2k dress I want to sell cheap!!

gunsandbanjos Wed 13-Dec-17 07:43:42

Coast!!! I got married last Saturday in a skirt and top from coasts bridesmaid section.
The skirts are really high waisted so will sit over and hide the area you’re uncomfortable with. I got so many compliments on it, I wore the blush colour.

starsinyourpies Wed 13-Dec-17 07:45:32

Phase 8 is another option, not sure if they have it in the shops but definitely online. My friend had one and it looked amazing.

Rioja2511 Wed 13-Dec-17 07:47:52

Agree with Wed2B - I recently got married in one of their dresses. They have lots of designs in different sizes, you buy off the rail and then if you want alterations they give you a list of local recommended dressmakers.

Out of all the bridal shops I went to they were the most helpful and had a dress closely matching what I wanted to compliment my curvy figure xx

gunsandbanjos Wed 13-Dec-17 07:48:22

www.coast-stores.com/p/marr-lace-bridesmaids-top/1815965
This is very similar to what I wore but it was the longer version of the skirt.
Plus with separates if you need a bigger size on top it’s easier to accommodate.

Writersblock2 Wed 13-Dec-17 07:49:08

Check EBay. I got a designer dress for £250 and it’s perfect. Alterations are costing an additional £150.

ChocolateButton15 Wed 13-Dec-17 07:49:29

I got mine from asos for £70. There is some really nice wedding stuff on asos. Chi Chi London (online shop) do lovely wedding dresses too. I got my accessories (sparkly headband and shoes) from Dorothy Perkins

ClareB83 Wed 13-Dec-17 07:51:58

Dorothy Perkins do some too although the photos on their website are pants. Look on the department store websites instead.

Definitely call your local wedding dress shops too. I tried on a really traditional dress at one shop was available there and then for £150 on their sale rack.

LastMinuteDottCom Wed 13-Dec-17 22:20:49

Thank you all.

I have spent hours trawling through the obvious high st/online stores ASOS, Missguided etc.

The problem is, even if sold in larger sizes, their fabrics and cuts are made with the perfectly slim in mind.

I was after some non obvious choices and Chi Chi London is great. I've got 3 on their way to me now! I'll also take a trip to Wed2be if those don't work out. Their dresses look beautiful!

ClareB83 Thu 14-Dec-17 07:19:50

Have a look at Adrianna Papell on John Lewis if it doesn't need to be traditional.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now