Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Terrible nails!

(19 Posts)
FartnissEverbeans Tue 12-Dec-17 18:03:52

I have awful nails. They're short, but only because they're so weak and bendy - they split so easily. I've tried loads of times to grow them properly (using strengtheners etc) but the only thing that ever made a difference was pregnancy!

All I want is nails that are slightly longer, smart and groomed-looking.

What are my options? I asked a nail tech who said Shellac would weaken them, but they're already awful so what does it matter? Same with acrylics.

I'd love to go and get my nails done - but what can I ask them to do??

Thanks smile

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 12-Dec-17 18:06:49

Keep them neat, all the same length, tidy cuticles, buffed and moisturised, a coat of clear polish or a pale pink type nude.

ToftheB Tue 12-Dec-17 18:29:05

The only thing I've found that helped is Nailtiques formula II - it's not cheap, but a little 7ml bottle goes a long way towards getting your nails back on track.

(On a related note, does the lovely nail boost that comes with pregnancy not last? I've been so enjoying having strong, effort free nails...)

MikeUniformMike Tue 12-Dec-17 18:32:01

Don't put them in your mouth. Don't use them as tools. Wear rubber gloves when washing up. Keep them short and neat. Don't put anything on them. I think that some hand creams make my nails worse.

MikeUniformMike Tue 12-Dec-17 18:33:43

When you file them use a black emery board, one from boots is fine. File carefully from the side to the top. Don't use nail clippers.

catsmother Tue 12-Dec-17 18:38:31

Three months back I'd been losing quite a bit of hair, each time I brushed or washed it. My hairdresser recommended Biotin tablets from Holland and Barrett which have been brilliant. My hair's really thickened up and loss is back to normal. What's more, it's really strengthened my nails too ... they're the longest they've been in ages and rock hard. It's cheaper than the hair, skin and nails type supplements and H&B currently have their buy one get one half price deal on.

PricillaQueenOfTheDesert Tue 12-Dec-17 18:40:55

Acrylics would make them look great, but just be ware that once you have committed to acrylics you sort of have to keep them for ever or suffer trying to grow them out that’s harder than trying to grow out hair colour (or at hard at least)

That said, wearing acrylics long term has done me no harm, my nails were always splitting, cracking and bending (which hurts) I’ve had acrylics for the last 4 and half years.

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 12-Dec-17 19:05:04

Ooh no, Mike, I'd never touch an emery board, glass nail file only.

princessworkingmum Tue 12-Dec-17 19:06:38

I have a layer of acrylic and then gel - they always look great.

MikeUniformMike Tue 12-Dec-17 19:09:40

I don't know what a glass nail file is.
www.boots.com/boots-salon-smooth-nail-files-10111173
is what I use - or rather, ones just the same from waitrose.

I eat a healthy diet rich in leafy greens etc. and have strong nails.
Acrylic nails will make your nails weak.

NC4now Tue 12-Dec-17 19:11:50

Mine are like yours so I have acrylics. They are a commitment because I have them done every three weeks, but I keep them short with a shellac topcoat.
Apart from the three-weekly maintenance they are really practical day to day.

IDoLikeARainbow Tue 12-Dec-17 20:42:52

Another vote for Nailitiques Formula 2. It really does work

Abouttoblow Tue 12-Dec-17 20:46:56

I've struggled with this for years. Last Christmas a friend bought me OPI Nail Envy and my nails are amazing.
They will never be long as I have really small nail beds but the are strong and smooth.
It's about £15-20 but I just finished that bottle in October.

Janetjanetjanet Tue 12-Dec-17 20:48:32

Skin, hair and nails helps.

BusterGonad Tue 12-Dec-17 20:53:32

I personally think a bit of cuticle oil rubbed in a few times a day helps, wearing gloves when washing up and using any type of detergent is a MUST.

Whereland Tue 12-Dec-17 20:57:14

I've had the same problem for years. No matter what supplements I take, no matter what bail strengthener I use, my nails are soft as tissues. My skin and hair are good so it's purely a nail issue!
I started using shellac and it's just so much better. The shellac makes them feel strong and hard (I know it's the shellac, not my own nail) but they just look so much more groomed and tidy.
My own nails continue to be crap underneath but they're not any worse than they were pre shellac

DontbeaDickaboutit Tue 12-Dec-17 21:01:46

Same as others, I have an acrylic overlay, £22 every 3-3.5 weeks which is for infill and shellac top coat. No jewells, no diamonds, no faces painted on the Nail.... Just a simple colour, short and square. I don't intend to not have them so as pp said, it really is a long term commitment.

NathalieM Mon 18-Dec-17 16:11:41

I used to have terrible nails, I started having acrylics but after an awful removal experience I gave them up. My nails looked so sad! I couldn’t stand them, so I had short nude gel extensions put on which are so much kinder to the nail and I have been able to grow my natural nails out. Acrylic nails can really damage your nail bed and are super ridged however, gel is more flexible and allows the nail to grow relatively normal under the extension. But as with any type of extension, after removal your nails will be weak however I am using cuticle oil from Sally Hansen and plenty of hand cream in a bid to strengthen them!

Gingefringe Mon 18-Dec-17 17:16:01

I use OPI nail envy in a clear colour, together with their Avoplex nail oil which I keep by my computer at work at apply a few times throughout the day. I also use Perfectil Hair, Skin & Nail supplement and my nails are now fairly strong. However, if i put on standard nail polish for any length of time is weakens my nails so I tend not to paint my nails any more.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: