Talk

Advanced search

Lagenlook makes me look like a medieval peasant

(43 Posts)
Whiterabbitears Sun 10-Dec-17 12:10:48

I'm plus size and love the floaty bohemian look. I'm 36 and 6 ft so I ordered a couple of tunics but when I tried them on all I saw was a medieval peasant sad. Where am I going wrong? I like the natural fibres but is it the colours? (Drab) do any of you wear Lagenlook and actually look floaty and bohemian and if you do how do you do it?

Bananasandchocolatecustard Sun 10-Dec-17 12:15:33

I bought a “made in Italy” tunicy thing, thankfully I bought it from a market and it was £20, not £40, as it was on line. I thought I would look bohemian and relaxed , in reality it drowns me and is the size of a dress. Won’t be buying any more!

DonkeyOaty Sun 10-Dec-17 12:15:59

Sadly floaty bohemian suits slender figures. Ask me how I know #fat #short #boobs #tummy

MaidenMotherCrone Sun 10-Dec-17 12:18:16

All lagenlook looks Medieval peasant attire imo. grin

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sun 10-Dec-17 12:18:40

I hadn’t heard of them so have just had a quick look. I think there’s too much fullness all over in them. I’m plus size and I find that the things that look good on me are a combination of fitted where it suits me and positive ease where my problem area is. That stuff is just massive everywhere, it does look quite cosy for this weather though.

Whiterabbitears Sun 10-Dec-17 12:18:40

Yes floaty bohemian may be not suited to my rubenesque figure!

Whiterabbitears Sun 10-Dec-17 12:20:53

Im always drawn to the baggy stuff as I imagine it will cover me, I think you're right, its too full and it just makes me look like I'm wearing a hessian sack.

endehors Sun 10-Dec-17 12:24:29

All lagenlook looks Medieval peasant attire imo

It really does. No matter the size or shape of the person.

Tiddlywinks63 Sun 10-Dec-17 12:26:38

I thought it would suit me but I looked like a walking tent, lethal in windy weather.
I bought a shirt/jumper combination in a market and I looked humongous (it's bad enough being a 14/16 with big boobs..)

PurpleWithRed Sun 10-Dec-17 12:27:21

Lagenlook makes the model on the website look like a medieval peasant - we mere mortals haven’t got a chance.

RestingGrinchFace Sun 10-Dec-17 12:29:27

There are some people who will never look like medieval peasants even if they go out wearing a potato sack. The rest of us mere mortals however need to stick to beat well tailored clothes to stay smart.

AmeliaFlashtart Sun 10-Dec-17 12:44:28

There used to be a girl at work who dressed lagenlook style, she was young slim but still looked like one of those ancient but perfectly preserved swamp people that get dug up occasionally. I don't think it suits anyone apart from Viking re-enactment fans.

Maverick66 Sun 10-Dec-17 12:44:50

DD wears lagenlook she rocks it.
She is in her 70's very quirky.
Very lean not overly tall but wears layers in clothes size 10 to 16

Bananasandchocolatecustard Sun 10-Dec-17 12:58:07

I’m 5’4 and 9 stone, hence thinking it would look floaty on me.

buggerthebotox Sun 10-Dec-17 13:09:13

I think some can get away with it if it's not too floaty. My friend (70) rocks it but she wears leggings and cool shoes with it.

She wears those cocoon-y dresses too, to good effect.

WindowWiper Sun 10-Dec-17 13:34:26

@Amelia grin

DancingHouse Sun 10-Dec-17 14:12:22

I wear the big drop crotch harems lagenlook trousers with massively oversized tops and jumpers but lagenlook tunics just do not suit me at all. I'm a 16-18 hourglass so I need to put some shape to it so I make sure I wear seperates with elasticated cuffs. Thin scarves and long pendant necklaces also provide a bit of shape.

goose1964 Sun 10-Dec-17 14:43:27

I wear lagenlook and my son said I looked like I was wearing a bin bag.I now try to wear just one item.My favourite is a tunic aka longish dress with leggings and ankle boots. It channels my inner elf

Floisme Sun 10-Dec-17 15:55:36

I think it can work but it's one of those seemingly effortless looks that actually involve a lot of thought and um ... effort.

I think it needs at least one piece with a bit of structure to kind of anchor it all in place and then some careful thought about different fabrics and textures and colours so there's still some contrast even if it's all a variation on grey. And then juxtaposing everything properly so it doesn't just look like you're wearing all your clothes at once.

It's too much like hard work for me.

DollyPartonsBeard Sun 10-Dec-17 16:01:18

Oh this thread has made me hoot with laughter! Glad it's not just me!

SofaKing0101 Sun 10-Dec-17 16:55:13

Love Lagenlook, I wear it all the time

I don't know what the knack is, but if I have a cocoon dress on I get compliments always, and no-one is being sarky (unless I'm being vair vair thick!)

ilovecherries Sun 10-Dec-17 17:02:08

I went through a Lagenlook phase when I was much bigger that I am now, but I suspect it didn't suit me at all. It does hold its value on eBay though - I had a half hearted attempt to sell a few pieces and they went like hot cakes, so I quickly uploaded the rest and made enough for a nice little capsule wardrobe.

endehors Sun 10-Dec-17 17:13:07

I do actually have a black tunic dress in this style. It's lovely actually, but I wouldn't look out of place in a period drama. I pull it in at the waist with a tie belt as it is too shapeless and billowy but only wear it at home now.
Gudruns Joden sell some lagenlook type clothes don't they? I haven't looked on there in a while.

FurryDogMother Sun 10-Dec-17 18:44:08

I love Lagenlook, and I'm 5' 4" and rather wide (also late 50s). I don't really mind if I look like a medieval peasant - it's just so comfortable and easy to wear - I usually wear black leggings or maxi skirts, under large, quirky, shapeless tunics or dresses. My favourite item of clothing is a Caroline Ann sleeveless tunic with 2 front pockets - works like a pinafore dress and can layer it over various tops, skirts and/or leggings - I have it in 4 colours. Also love the huge statement jewellery that comes with the look - and scarves, I adore drapey scarves! I may look a bit like an explosion in a fabric factory, but at least it's not boring!

SofaKing0101 Sun 10-Dec-17 20:54:10

Aha Furry you go for the floaty look? - I go for the structured look

cocoon dress with t shirt underneath, sleeves to the elbow, no shorter.
scarf for my scrawny neck rolled really tight, so it looks like a necklace
no laces in my converse. no tights or leggings
no added jewellery, apart from chunky mans watch

white (natural) hair loosely up
5ft 7 size 16 age 62 Ta - da!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now