Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Highlights don't look great

(10 Posts)
octoberdays Thu 07-Dec-17 22:24:13

I've just come back from my (regular) hairdresser, and remembered why I don't like how she does my highlights... grrr. Firstly, she doesn't go in close enough to the roots (but I know that's a common problem with foils) and secondly, and more importantly, she basically didn't do the front of the 't section', i.e round the face, pretty much at all!

P*ssed off with myself for not paying any attention when I was there, or looking closely as soon as I got home. I don't want to go back or ring up, as last summer I did ring up (as it looked a bit dark) to check she had done the right colours, and she referred to it afterwards as the time I complained... she's really sweet, I don't want to make it difficult for her, but now stupidly planning on finding another hairdresser in the next few days and forking out for a T section when I've already shelled out loads for half a head!

Grrr! Any ideas what to do?

octoberdays Thu 07-Dec-17 22:25:03

PS I meant to say, as I wear my hair tied back every single day, this is crucial!!

LockedOutOfMN Thu 07-Dec-17 23:41:14

Not sure if this helps but when I get my highlights done my stylish asks if I want the front of the T section (e.g. front hairline) highlighted in sections down from the parting (better if you wear your hair down) or sections going back from the hairline (better for ponytails and hair back/up styles). Maybe you can ask yours for the latter next time?

LemonysSnicket Thu 07-Dec-17 23:46:05

I had the exact same thing with a recent 'new' stylist. i have a little peak at the front ... which was left brown, and when my blow dry (£25 and fell out in 2 hours) fell i could see nearly a centimetre at my roots. I was raging. never going back there.
And she's not sweet if she said you were complaining when she had done your hair badly. PA more like.

Mulberrysilk Thu 07-Dec-17 23:47:11

If you keep the parting when you tie it up you'll still see the highlights.

longtompot Thu 07-Dec-17 23:47:13

I had mine done by a trainee recently. First time I have ever had it professinally dyed. I have white highlighs (streaks) which are especially noticable when my hair is up (which is nearly all the time). They have replaced the grey streaks I had hmm

lovemylover Fri 08-Dec-17 13:47:49

Go back, if you need more at the front, just say that was where you wanted it a bit lighter,if she values your custom she will

octoberdays Fri 15-Dec-17 20:02:56

Thanks, ladies. Great tips. I like the pic - and the suggestions to specifiy next time!

I've calmed down now, been wearing it down a bit, and think I will just leave it until next time - and go somewhere else!

Dozer Fri 15-Dec-17 20:24:28

Complain, get her to fix it, and then change hairdresser.

Kaykee Sat 16-Dec-17 08:59:02

Nothing worse than a dye job you’re not happy with. My stylist was really busy for a while so I went with someone else, big mistake I ended up with weird stripes and it was just all wrong. I’ve also had to go back to have hair corrected as ended up with dark purple hair when I asked for something totally different wasn’t good. But I still go to same salon and back to original girl as she gets how I like my hair and colour, I also pay more but my hair is important to me so it’s my one big indulgence.

Ask friends for recommendations, don’t stay because she’s sweet, it’s important to trust the person doing your hair to do what you’ve asked for or /discussed together and do it well. Go back and say you’re not happy and could she fix it I didn’t pay for my fix but I went back the next day really unhappy, I looked ill wasn’t nice at all and certainly not what we’d discussed at start of appointment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: