Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone bought their own heat lamp for gel nails?

(19 Posts)
ShirleyPhallus Thu 07-Dec-17 22:02:30

I’m looking in to it as they’re only about £50. Has anyone done this? Is the finish as nice as in salon?

Skisunsnow Thu 07-Dec-17 22:04:59

Yep brought one a couple of years ago. Would highly recommend, as if you're like me and end up damaging one, you can just redo that one yourself. Worth buying the slightly more expensive polishes though (there's lots of knock offs on eBay that just aren't worth it!).

ShirleyPhallus Thu 07-Dec-17 22:17:15

Thanks Ski.

What are the best brand of gel polishes? Do you need the standard polish then also base and top coats?

How do you get the gels off?

Wildidle Thu 07-Dec-17 22:30:10

Yes! Lasts about two weeks for me. I tend to use Belen or Bluesky, much cheaper than Sensationail and just as good.

LockedOutOfMN Thu 07-Dec-17 22:36:59

They have them in Natura at the moment. Very cheap so maybe not great quality.

SnowBallsAreHere Thu 07-Dec-17 22:38:41

Yes, I have a mylee led lamp and use blue sky. Only issue I have is removal is a pita. Painting and drying is dead easy

yasmin05 Fri 08-Dec-17 11:35:34

Yup, only lasted one and a half weeks for me. I'd go for one that could last for at least two weeks.

Wolfiefan Fri 08-Dec-17 11:36:11

Mine aren't lasting at all. Easy to do.

Scottishlassie81 Fri 08-Dec-17 11:49:14

Absolutely! I love my shellac. I got a lamp from amazon and I get my CND shellac from ebay. Careful of fakes on there! I have tried bluesky but I find it lifts and doesn't last the fortnight. The CND is much better quality.

I am planning red with glitter for Xmas tonight or tomorrow.

At £25/£35 every two weeks in the salon the equipment more than pays for itself. A new colour is about £12 on ebay and of course you can use it over and over and I got plastic clamps to hold on the cotton wool for removal on my finger tips so I am not using loads of tin foil.

I just bought Oxblood CND - to a great name but I love the deep red colour.

Go for it!

Scottishlassie81 Fri 08-Dec-17 11:49:59

Oxblood - I meant not a great name.

ShirleyPhallus Fri 08-Dec-17 12:00:28

I'd go for one that could last for at least two weeks.

How do you know what lasts how long? Does the heat lamp make a difference to that?

I’ve seen ones which are about £30 from China which I think the local salons seem to use - are they fine or worth spending more?

Scottishlassie81 Fri 08-Dec-17 12:40:13

shellac should last two weeks provided you don't go picking at things with your nails. Make sure you seal your tip edge well and let the top coat cure for 3 mins. You tube has great tutorials

totaldiva Fri 08-Dec-17 21:55:36

I have a sensationail lamp, does anyone know if I can buy blue sky or other gels? I've stuck with the sebsationail brand so far.

OP they are great, I find it's not just the cost but the benefit of being able to do my nails anytime as I always forget to book my appointments!

LadyWithLapdog Sat 09-Dec-17 19:14:21

There's a nail kit for £25 in Lidl at the moment.

MiniCooperLover Sun 10-Dec-17 08:31:25

M+S are selling good paints to use with a lamp, I’ve got the sensationail lamp and they’ve worked really well with them.

Longhairmightcare Sun 10-Dec-17 13:50:01

minicooper as a sensationail lamp owner that’s useful info, thanks

Killerfiller Sun 10-Dec-17 21:49:52

Go on groupon they have a kit ATM. It's good

Piehunter Sun 10-Dec-17 21:57:41

I've been doing my own gel nails at home for about 2 years. First with uv lamp, now led. Led cost about 25, quicker, smaller, no worries on uv damage or bulbs smashing. I use bluesky colours (about a fiver each) and get up to 10 days out of them which works for me personally. Love it

MiniCooperLover Tue 12-Dec-17 22:26:21

Piehunter, I think my sensationail lamp is UV not LED as it’s quite old and has the bulbs and harsh light. Is that bad for you? Is LED better/safer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now