Talk

Advanced search

Interview help!

(6 Posts)
Chopsypie Thu 07-Dec-17 17:47:34

I have my first formal interview next week. I've been internally promoted a few times, this is for the sort of job that will make my career. It's with the HR director of an international company.

Im 5ft3, a size 16-18. I usually wear wrap dresses, skater dresses, 50's cut ish things. Trousers look odd on me as I've got quite a big tummy thanks to kids/c section/greggs.

Suit jackets make me look boxy, I'm broad of hip and shoulder, narrower at the waist. Fairly decent sized boobs.

My head is telling me I need a suit, but I know I'll never wear it again and I don't want to be fidgeting etc in the interview. How I will feel in a 'proper' suit won't fit the sort of image I want to project.

What do I do?!

DXBCat Thu 07-Dec-17 17:59:10

I think you have to be yourself to feel confident and smart. How about the wrap dress in neutral colour with well cut blazer? Not all jackets are boxy. If you have good quality smart shoes bag and necklace it could look v polished. I don't think you can get away without a smart jacket for a formal interview. Try and choose something that's YOU. Good luck with the interview ☺

Chopsypie Thu 07-Dec-17 18:10:23

I was thinking that - but my smarter dresses are black and worried I'll look like I'm going to a funeral.

I've got smart bag and shoes.

I'm quite a simple dresser usually!

DXBCat Fri 08-Dec-17 14:05:36

Do the black dress with a contrasting colour jacket to make it fresh. Or if you want to go all black then have colourful shoes and bag and nice jewellery. Just make sure you are comfotable and confident whatever you select.

Justcallmecaptainobvious Fri 08-Dec-17 14:21:18

I like wearing a cropped jacket over a dress, smartness of a jacket without the boxy suit look, as the jacket ends at the waist. Debenhams is worth a look, the evening sections often have coloured cropped jackets.

dibly Fri 08-Dec-17 18:08:08

I recently wore a black dress, shoes and bag with a pale grey fitted jacket for an interview - felt smart but 'me' and got the job. Smart jacket definitely the way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now