Talk

Advanced search

Dry patches of skin under eyes - which cream to use?

(10 Posts)
PineappleFwitters Thu 07-Dec-17 17:25:23

No idea why, but in the past few weeks I've developed a patch of dry flaky skin under each eye. I'm also cursed with dark circles but can no longer use concealer as it just emphasises the dry patches.

I've tried hydrocortisone cream but after a week of using it I stopped, and the patches came back soon after. I don't really want to use it again as I know it thins the skin.

Are there any other creams that will do the trick? Or should I try coconut oil? I have a party next week so is really like to be able to wear my Nars concealer as I'm planning a smoky eye!

Wtfdoicare Thu 07-Dec-17 19:35:16

Aveeno cream is great, followed by a layer of Vaseline. These will moisturise really well, so you can use hydrocortisone as well for flareups.

llmb Thu 07-Dec-17 19:43:13

You sound exactly like me! Iv found vitamin e oil spread copiously at night soaked in nicely. Mines just from Superdrug. Vaseline i found good for keeping on top of it, so when the dry patches go, then I cover eyes in Vaseline at night.

mamalovesmojitos Thu 07-Dec-17 19:51:49

I am having the exact same problem! Will try the Vaseline, but I also used coconut oil and it worked ok.

Would you recommend the Nars concealer op? Have awful dark circles.

tharsheblows Thu 07-Dec-17 19:56:27

I smear on Aquaphor every night or get flaky eyes. I’m going to try Vitamin E now too– I’d love to be able to use proper eye creams but they all make it worse.

FoodieFood Thu 07-Dec-17 20:06:36

Sounds weird but try Lanisoh, it's an intensive moisturising cream designed for sore nipples (was BF when I started using it!), but as someone who suffers from extremely dry skin Ive found its worked wonders on my dry skin on my forehead, mouth and feet! You can buy it in books but it's cheaper on amazon. Hope that helps.

llmb Thu 07-Dec-17 20:19:04

If anyone is after a suggestion of an eye cream, liz Earle is one I have found this year that does not set my eczema off and a bit of reduction in my dark circles.

carolhere Thu 07-Dec-17 20:27:11

Did you work excessively the past month or so? It usually happens when your eyes get tired. It happens to me too. After some rest to your eyes and pampering, it goes away.

Maudlinmaud Thu 07-Dec-17 20:28:37

Kiehls avocado eye cream. Amazing stuff.

PineappleFwitters Thu 07-Dec-17 20:31:28

I've got myself a small tub of organic extra virgin coconut oil so will see if that makes a difference. I have a retinol serum which has really improved the lines under my eyes but I've not used it since this flared up in case it exacerbated it.

To the PP who asked, yes the Nars Radiant Creamy concealer is good but I recently tried a bit of the Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer under my eyes and the difference was amazing. Better coverage and it didn't slip into the fine lines under my eyes either, like every other concealer does. Shame it's nearly £40 for a small pot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now