Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Can you help me with a gift?

(12 Posts)
Wellwhatalovelyday Thu 07-Dec-17 13:19:23

Hello experts! I’m hoping to pick your brains. I need an 18th birthday gift for my goddaughter. I’m thinking handbag, budget around £500 but I don’t mind a bit more for the right thing! Something classic that she will keep for ever, or an investment piece (is that budget too small for that?). It’s not till the spring so I can wait till the sales!

Thanks!!

FairyAnn Thu 07-Dec-17 14:53:05

Hi, for an 18th, three things spring to mind; purse/handbag, jewellery or crystal.

I would suggest, depending on her personal tastes, a Marc Jacobs bag or something similar. Might be able to get a brand she likes?

Or jewellery, like a really stand-out necklace?

Or something you can engrave, like Darlington Glasses or something similar from Harrods?

CantChoose Thu 07-Dec-17 21:37:24

Something from Hill and Friends? (The former mulberry designer)

What's her usual style?

Wellwhatalovelyday Fri 08-Dec-17 00:40:10

Thanks guys! I’ll look at Hill & friends. She’s not bling yet, much more classic.

Curunina Fri 08-Dec-17 00:55:02

Would you do the Celine triple bag? It's pretty much a classic, though a bit out of budget....

www.celine.com/fr-fr/sacs/trio/

MrsPicklesonSmythe Fri 08-Dec-17 05:43:02

I'd go for a watch, something classic not too high fashion or blingy that she can wear forever.

HappyVan Fri 08-Dec-17 09:53:13

Make sure you get a gift reciept so she can swap it if she doesn't like it. I think for that amount of money I might be tempted to give her a Selfridges voucher?

HappyVan Fri 08-Dec-17 09:54:43

You might be able to pick up a bag from mulberry outlet around that price?

Breakfastat Fri 08-Dec-17 09:58:32

Mulberry purse?

Polyanthus Fri 08-Dec-17 10:03:10

Can you take her with you shopping and make that part of the experience?
Obviously I have no idea about your set up but My parents took me to Garrards to buy a necklace for my 18th and the trip to the store was very definitely part of the experience for me (girl from small country town, not Londoner!) and I loved the whole trip.

Also, and this may definitely just be me, if I'd been treated to an expensive bag as a surprise for my 18th I wouldn't have realised how special it was and would have just used it every day for college etc and probably wrecked it by the time I was 21. But going to Bond Street to buy it would have opened my eyes to how special it was. Absolutely not saying your goddaughter is as clueless as I was at 18 but just something to bear in mind,,,,

yasmin05 Fri 08-Dec-17 11:31:19

Go for a decent watch that's wearable both on casual and special occasions.

Wellwhatalovelyday Fri 08-Dec-17 11:41:43

These are great ideas, thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: