Talk

Advanced search

Do people still get perms?

(15 Posts)
Summerflake Thu 07-Dec-17 10:38:20

I’m totally stuck in a rut.

Shoulder length wavy, frizzy, highlighted hair. It’s not a good wavy, if I leave it without styling it just goes in a big bushy half straight ball. So normally I straighten it every day but I’m so fed up and I don’t have the time.

I was thinking, could I get a soft wave perm? I don’t even know if that exists. What styling does a perm need? Could I just get up, brush and go?

Help???

omBreROSE Thu 07-Dec-17 10:56:11

I did it twice.
I’ve got very wavy hair that l usd to set on large rollers.
I tried using those ( at a salon) with a perming solution.
It was okay - this was 15 years ago ,l imagine that things might have moved on a bit now?

MikeUniformMike Thu 07-Dec-17 11:13:02

Yes, they still exist and are popular with elderly women and younger women with south-east Asian hair.

GaryBarlowsTaxReturn Thu 07-Dec-17 11:16:59

Yes. Google 'digital perm' they can basically tailor it to what sort of waves or curls that you want.

hendricksyousay Thu 07-Dec-17 11:38:46

Do you use products ? My hair left to its own devices is like yours but using the curly girl method and products it's pretty amazing 🤗🤗.. it does take a lot of effort though and sometimes I just straighten it or pop it up on top of my head .

YouWereRight Thu 07-Dec-17 12:27:03

Yes, but getting somebody that can do it well is tricky.

specialsubject Thu 07-Dec-17 16:14:14

You need either wella straight or loreal xtenso. Done properly they last a year, no more uglyugly frizz! Not dead straight but combable, swishy and shiny.

You won't know yourself.

Doobigetta Thu 07-Dec-17 18:19:48

Apparently it's a bit of a niche skill these days- it used to be a big part of hairdressing training, and now a lot of courses don't even cover it because there's so little demand.

bellalou1234 Thu 07-Dec-17 18:23:02

What is wella straight?

IfNot Thu 07-Dec-17 18:30:01

I'd like a perm if I could get hair like Madonna in the Ray of Light video-soft beachy waves. Can they do that?

Ledkr Thu 07-Dec-17 18:32:13

And me ifnot wonder if they can

whirlygirly Thu 07-Dec-17 22:39:27

I asked this at my hairdresser last weekend as I just wanted a really loose wave and she said no. Lots of people ask but it can't be done. Why, I don't understand as I'd love some beachy waves in my limp mop.

Then a young bloke at work pitched up with a perm this week (I shit you not) and we were all reminded how awful hair looked in the 80's.

MikeUniformMike Thu 07-Dec-17 22:42:33

I'd try somewhere else whirly.

Ninjakittysmells Thu 07-Dec-17 22:45:48

@honeydragon got it done and had a thread about it if I recall!

whirlygirly Thu 07-Dec-17 22:54:35

I will go elsewhere if it can be done - I've been after one for years smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now