Talk

Advanced search

Growing out the grey

(22 Posts)
OnlyOneOfThose Wed 06-Dec-17 18:02:22

I have dark brown hair, cut into a shoulder length layered bob.

I normally visit the hairdresser every eight weeks or so for a trim and permanent colour. The colour is to cover 5-10% grey, and is my natural colour.

I'm starting to notice the grey more and more and am considering how to grow it out, just to see if I can get away with ditching the dye!

I don't want to use henna or keep up with the permanent colouring. I've heard bad reviews, so don't want to strip the colour out using a chemical treatment either.

I don't treat my hair at home (other than using conditioning masks), and I don't want to start now with home dyes or treatments.

An added complication is that I'm travelling next year, so am growing out my fringe and length, so that I can tie it back in the heat. Plus, crop styles do not suit my (fat) face shape.

Other than changing to a semi-permanent dye, or hibernating for the next twelve to eighteen months, do I have any other options?

Nomoretears56 Wed 06-Dec-17 18:06:27

I made the decision just over a year ago to stop the dye, my natural colour used to be mousy brown and I dyed it blonde, honestly I've never looked back, I now have supershiny silver with a white streak at the the front, I say embrace the new you!!

OnlyOneOfThose Wed 06-Dec-17 18:11:03

That sounds ace, but my natural colour is so dark that I could never suit going blond.

With less than 10% grey, I'd have massive dark roots sad.

OnlyOneOfThose Wed 06-Dec-17 18:42:41

Or should I consider a wig? <straw clutching>

Paintbox Wed 06-Dec-17 18:48:48

IF you only have 5-10% grey and want it to be natural then just stop dying and let it grow out by itself. With that small amount of grey you will get away with it. It’s when there is a lot more grey that growing it out is really problematic

OnlyOneOfThose Wed 06-Dec-17 18:51:36

Paintbox, won't it look odd with grey roots and the rest of my hair dark?

jay95 Wed 06-Dec-17 19:06:07

You could get some high/low lights in while you're growing it out. It's a bit painful, the growing out, but inevitable if you want to go natural. I did it when I had long hair but during the process had it cut short and have kept it short. I'd never go back to dying. BUT, it's fair to say that people make assumptions about your age when they see your greys, so you need to counterbalance with some sharp make-up, clothes etc.

Nyx1 Wed 06-Dec-17 19:07:29

if it's 5-10% grey, just leave it. it's not like you will have a sort of half/half appearance. No need for highlights or anything, just leave it.

MsUnderstanding Wed 06-Dec-17 19:58:58

I used a chemical treatment to strip the colour out to lessen the badger stripe effect. My hair feels dryer at the ends but the colour has definitely faded. Deep conditioning treatments and hair up for me for then next few months. sad

Paintbox Wed 06-Dec-17 20:38:43

YOull have a few grey hairs at the roots but if you only have 5% grey it won’t be “grey roots” it’ll barely be noticeable

OnlyOneOfThose Wed 06-Dec-17 21:00:29

It's as though I have grey highlights, but only 4cm long. Then the dark hair kicks in. I have been using root spray to disguise it a bit, but I don't think that's sustainable.

JonSnowsHair Wed 06-Dec-17 21:04:03

OP, how old are you? I have a lot of grey and like you, I’m getting fed up with the upkeep and considering growing it out, but I’m a younger looking 33 and worried it would age me terribly.

Has anyone around my age grown it out and looked good, and not like an old hag?!

OnlyOneOfThose Wed 06-Dec-17 21:08:38

I'm mid-fifties, but I don't see that as relevant. These days fifty is the new thirty, right? grin

OnlyOneOfThose Wed 06-Dec-17 21:14:28

@jay95, highlights might be an option, I've made a note, thanks.

Ta1kinPeace Wed 06-Dec-17 21:15:35

Has anyone around my age grown it out and looked good, and not like an old hag?!
Hmmm

If you look like a hag you will with whatever colour hair

But naturally grey hair well cut and conditioned is not ageing

Nomoretears56 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:26:26

Not boasting OP but people have told me l look better now than I I did when I I dyed. I'm mid 50s, when I went to to the hairdresser and told them I wanted to go grey they advised against it "oh you'll look like an old granny and we know you don't want that" I have a nose piercing, tongue piercing and tattoos, I quickly cottoned on to the fact that they would be losing £100 every six weeks and changed hairdresser, my hair is in better condition than its been for years and I look anything but an old granny, I say go for it!!

OnlyOneOfThose Wed 06-Dec-17 22:34:09

I think I was hoping to disguise the roots somehow, with a semi-permanent treatment (or highlights, if that proves a better option) until back from travelling, and then have a shorter bob cut back in for the big reveal!

If there was enough grey, would a semi-permanent colour in a lighter shade just give the effect of highlights and leave my natural colour untouched? She asks hopefully smile.

OnlyOneOfThose Wed 06-Dec-17 22:42:41

@Nomoretears56 that is my biggest fear, so I'm pinning my hopes on a good cut and plenty of tlc to improve the condition. The greys do look a bit untamed at times.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Nomoretears56 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:43:39

I don't think so, I think the roots would look strange but I I'm not a hairdresser, probably best to to ask a professional but just be aware that sometimes they have their own best interests at heart.

Nomoretears56 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:43:49

I don't think so, I think the roots would look strange but I I'm not a hairdresser, probably best to to ask a professional but just be aware that sometimes they have their own best interests at heart.

Nomoretears56 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:47:53

OnlyOneOfThose

Be confident, don't be fearful, it's only hair!! If you don't like it go back to the dye. Good luck.

OnlyOneOfThose Wed 06-Dec-17 22:52:19

I'm keeping away from the hairdressers at the moment, it's 11 weeks since my last cut and colour. I'm trying not to cave in before Christmas and be back at square one.

Maybe I need to change salons. The one I go to, although not expensive, likes to push the extras. On occasion, I also feel that I am being rushed through as the stylists are so busy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now