Talk

Advanced search

Experiences of numbing cream for waxing

(8 Posts)
areynolds Wed 06-Dec-17 17:38:47

I have a low pain threshold and was thinking of using some numbing cream before going for a bikini wax. I read online that emla cream was good. However I am a little nervous as I don't know what I am doing. What are people's experience of using numbing cream? (I am going for a Brazilian.)

I would love to know: Is it safe to apply yourself? I have images of accidentally sitting in a pin without noticing! Also, if it isn't too much to ask, where precisely do you apply it and do you have to be careful to avoid any areas? I need detailed guidance for an ignoramus please.

totallyliterally Wed 06-Dec-17 17:40:27

I’m sure you can’t apply it on the bits that are inside where the Brazilian goes.

Honestly yes it’s sore but it’s instant pain and then over in literally a second. You need to check with where you’re having the wax if they’re happy for you to use it. It may well interfere with the products they’re using

Maverick66 Thu 07-Dec-17 00:02:32

Take a painkiller 15 mins before waxing?

PersianCatLady Thu 07-Dec-17 00:16:47

If you are thinking of using Emla cream then I don't think it is suitable as it makes the skin far too slippery and I think if affects the was too.

Seriously like a PP said, the pain lasts seconds. If you can't cope with that then maybe a Brazilian is a bad idea.

crazyhairbear Thu 07-Dec-17 00:27:37

No, I tried it before waxing a different area and it just caused some sort of reaction with my skin and tbh it felt the same as without. It isn't actually as bad as you think it's going to be xx

bananafish81 Thu 07-Dec-17 08:24:02

Definitely don't use EMLA cream. It'll affect the skin and could make it even more painful if the wax doesn't adhere properly

Tips for least painful Brazilian
- get a hot wax. NO STRIP WAX.
- find a salon who does Lycon wax, it's genius. It's witchcraft in how painless it is
- take ibuprofen half an hour beforehand
- don't go on your period (obvs)

Good luck!

areynold Thu 07-Dec-17 09:27:30

bananafish81 Thank you so much. That's a very helpful list. Emla cream is off my list now.

What exactly is Lycon wax? I am booked in for hot wax but I didn't ask if they do Lycon.

(Slight NC as I couldn't log in for some reason.)

areynold Thu 07-Dec-17 09:35:37

Thank you crazyhairbear, PersianCatLady, Maverick66, totallyliterally. I feel much informed.

On a related note, how long before a particularly hot date would you recommend doing the waxing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now