Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Beauty products on Ebay?

(22 Posts)
omBreROSE Wed 06-Dec-17 11:46:55

When a seller has a bunch of branded make up items, can l assume they are genuine?
They are run of the mill, supermarket/chemist brands- with 100% feedback. Some for the items l’d like.
I can imagine high end products being counterfeit- these are just mascara/ lipsticks. Max Factor etc...
Thank you!

omBreROSE Wed 06-Dec-17 12:39:40

Anyone? smile

MikeUniformMike Wed 06-Dec-17 12:41:58

I have no idea. I have some things that I could list (unused, unopened but from special offer deals ) so would be interested in the replies.

MrsPicklesonSmythe Wed 06-Dec-17 12:50:58

Best way is to check feedback

omBreROSE Wed 06-Dec-17 13:08:29

I asked the sellers ( as l should have done before posting grin )
They both said they are, and luckily they both have 100% feedback.
The price point wasn’t especially different- l’m just rural and my local places were out of stock.
I still don’t know where sellers like that get their stock? hmm smile

sake Wed 06-Dec-17 13:18:59

I bought what I assumed to be, and what the feedback said, were genuine MAC lipsticks. They were most definitely not genuine. Very irritating.

omBreROSE Wed 06-Dec-17 13:49:45

Crazy sake
We’re they much cheaper?
Mac can be quite expensive can’t they?

sake Wed 06-Dec-17 13:53:29

I think I paid about £8. A brand new MAC lippy is around £15. That did set alarm bells ringing but I checked the feedback and found nothing untoward at all. I just assumed they were seconds or something. Hey ho.

nornironlady Wed 06-Dec-17 13:55:40

You need to report the seller for advertising something they are not selling but often when a deal seems to good to be true, it usually is. I ask around (my sis is beautician) and find out what is ok to buy when something is much cheaper than I would normally expect to pay. I've bought unwanted gifts from sellers which have been make up and had no issues. I try to wait until a shop does some sort of discount when I buy beauty products so I'm saving something. This year I got 3 for 2 with Benefit with an extra 10% as well as my make up done for my Christmas party. Total cost £40.50.

MNOverinvestor Wed 06-Dec-17 14:04:22

Quite a lot of beauty bloggers/beauty editors use Ebay to flog off some of the mountains of stuff that they're sent each day. The nicest/best ones do in-office beauty sales for charity and for people who work at that paper/magazine, they are the stuff of legend - top end make-up for £2 or so and piles of it. In a previous life I used to have access to such things but now I buy them - possibly from ex-colleagues - on Ebay. It's always been genuine.

omBreROSE Wed 06-Dec-17 14:07:39

Would Max Factor be subject to imitation?
The seller l chose wasn’t listing them for much cheaper than Boots?
I just don’t know? Would sellers be happy to lie about them being genuine products?

WhooooAmI24601 Wed 06-Dec-17 14:08:42

I'm cautious over buying beauty stuff on ebay because it's so unlikely to be genuine I think I'd rather have the whole lovely experience of going to the beauty counters and buying stuff I know hasn't got anything untoward going on.

BitofaPoorEffort Wed 06-Dec-17 14:11:39

I've had some great bargains. I have also had one or two duds, but EBay were great about issuing a refund. I think looking at what else they are selling is helpful, and always check feedback, ask questions etc. And be sure to check volume of products, lots of teeny tiny samples sold on there but often advertised by a picture of a full bottle/jar!

MikeUniformMike Wed 06-Dec-17 14:18:11

Remember, if you do buy a dud, eBay sides with the buyer.

omBreROSE Wed 06-Dec-17 14:19:55

Both sellers got back to me within about 10 minutes.
I’m not sure if that is a good or bad thing! grin
All feedback seemed very happy. I consoles myself that if these particular sellers were counterfeit- at least one of the other buyers would have picked up on it?
I’ve decided to stick with the high street from now on...

omBreROSE Wed 06-Dec-17 14:20:28

*consoled

omBreROSE Wed 06-Dec-17 14:21:08

I’m not sure how l’d even recognise a dud?

Erica891 Wed 06-Dec-17 15:16:50

You gotta check the reviews and make sure the seller is top rated. Sellers who usually sell class a products get poor ratings.

Zoesweet Wed 06-Dec-17 15:29:40

Some do sell fake stuff hence you gotta be careful. I bought some good ones and luckily was able to get the genuine stuff so far.

WellTidy Wed 06-Dec-17 15:33:58

I've bought Estee Lauder and Elemis stuff rom aBay in the past from various sellers. The things have always been genuine. My Elemis things do say on the tubes "For professional use only" which tells me that they are sold to spas, counters etc and are not intended to be sold to the public. But the products are genuine.

Housewife2010 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:57:54

I sell a lot of beauty products on Ebay. I often buy products I want when there is a GWP from Space NK or Cult Beauty and then sell the free samples. I only sell genuine products and do not mind if a buyer asks me questions about my products. Look for a buyer (like me) with excellent feedback. By buying when there is a GWP it brings down the cost of the items I really want if I sell the freebies.

onemouseplace Wed 06-Dec-17 17:43:52

I do the same as Housewife - I sell on the bits from GWPs/ beauty boxes and advent calendars I know I won't use - I can usually cover the costs of the bits I do want then.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: