Talk

Advanced search

Is long hair trashy?

(78 Posts)
ApplesTheHare Tue 05-Dec-17 20:13:10

Please help me settle a 15-year dispute with myself grin

When I have long hair I crave a chic bob and worry my hair looks trampy. When I have short hair I worry that I look like a 'boring mum'. Otherwise, I'm mid-30s and slim but very tired-looking. I've got a hair appointment booked next week and can't decide whether to go for a big chop or not!

AfterSchoolWorry Tue 05-Dec-17 20:18:49

I love long hair. Trashy? confused

LaGattaNera Tue 05-Dec-17 20:23:10

It's not trashy imo

OlennasWimple Tue 05-Dec-17 20:25:35

No, long hair isn't trashy. Or common, or aging, or a sign that you've given up caring what you look like - or any of the other things that I've seen it described as on MN over the years grin

Some people suit long hair, some people have hair that suits being long, some people have a lifestyle that suits long hair. Some lucky people can also have short hair - perhaps you are one of those?

GloriousGomez Tue 05-Dec-17 20:26:35

I have the same dilemma op!
My hair is curly and I worry short curly hair can look frumpy. Long feels more sexy and young. Problem is I can’t be bothered to do much with my hair (which is hard work hair, not wash and go hair) so it ends up in a scruffy pony tail...

Kaykee Tue 05-Dec-17 20:33:15

Trashy how?...
Think it can be boring if you never do anything with it and don’t look after it.
I wear my hair up for work but blow dry it and wear it down on days off/if I’m gping out in the evening and use quality products along with making sure it’s trimmed regularly and coloured in salon (mainly because I’m hopeless and hate my own home dye jobs) I do sometimes get bored but don’t suit short hair or bobs
Thing about hair is it grows, I’ve not got a thyroid so hair can be rubbish but just now it’s thick and lovely so making most of it being long

CountFosco Tue 05-Dec-17 20:40:12

Long hair can be boring and I can think of some people I know who could benefit from cutting theirs shorter but I'd never think it was trashy. And if you are lucky like my officemate you have gorgeous coloured (natural redhead) thick beautiful hair in fantastic condition that everyone will envy.

NachoAddict Tue 05-Dec-17 20:41:10

I spend ages growing my hair, get ut long and thick then chop it off. Regret it and repeat the cycle again. I am currently wearing a head full of extentions after my latest chop!

I dont think I look trashy with it long though.

RavingRoo Tue 05-Dec-17 20:43:01

I personally think long hair can be beautiful and feminine no matter your age, if your hair is thick and healthy. If not then best to cut it.

Ecureuil Tue 05-Dec-17 20:44:28

In 33 and my hair is the longest (and healthiest!) it’s ever been. I love it. I’m making the most of it before I have to start being sensible.

ScandiGirl10 Tue 05-Dec-17 20:44:53

I think it's more about the condition and grooming of your hair. Long hair is more difficult to keep in good condition and takes longer to style, so can more easily end up looking trashy but it can also look beautiful and elegant if look after.

WhooooAmI24601 Tue 05-Dec-17 20:45:22

If it's straggly and never trimmed, it looks scruffy. If it's well-kept it's beautiful. I love long hair.

Passthecake30 Tue 05-Dec-17 20:45:23

My long hair looks boring, not trashy,..

YouCantArgueWithStupid Tue 05-Dec-17 20:46:37

I think long hair can be trashy. If it's not well looked after or crazy long! There's a woman at my daughters pre school and her hair is almost to the small Of her back, looks like it needs a good cut (know when ends are straggly etc)

But I think long hair that's well maintained can look amazing.

LaGattaNera Tue 05-Dec-17 20:47:00

I have long hair but years ago had a bob and found it very high maintenance - had to blow dry it to look nice and chic whereas with my hair I can let it dry naturally as dead straight or if in a hurry, wave the hairdryer around on cool. Couldn't put bob in a ponytail or tie it back properly when exercising or wanting a change as there was always hair around the back of the neck that was too short to go in hairband and I did find it restrictive.

Polkadot1974 Tue 05-Dec-17 20:47:20

Ive just had mine lopped off and hating it. Long and great condition is fab

RestingGrinchFace Tue 05-Dec-17 20:47:36

It doesn't matter how long it is so long as it is clean, brushed and no regrowth/cheap hair extensions/bad colour job.

RegretingTheElf Tue 05-Dec-17 20:48:11

Is it eck!!

rcit Tue 05-Dec-17 20:54:26

There is nothing wrong with the "boring mum" look. Someone who has clean short hair looks lovely to me. If you want long hair, go for it but I do think that bad hair extensions and bad dye can make hair look trashy. Rather like makeup that is really heavy and overdone or fake tan that's overdone making you look dark burnt orange.

SukiTheDog Tue 05-Dec-17 21:13:34

I like to see well kept hair. I think scraggy over processed hair can look a bit of a mess but I LOVE my long hair. It’s often tied up in a loose pony-bun. It’s a nice colour and very shiny. I’m 55. Dead easy. I hated my pixie cut and subsequent “growing it” bob. I won’t be having mine lopped any time soon.

Ecureuil Tue 05-Dec-17 21:16:16

My hair is long, thick, healthy, trimmed regularly and I haven’t had it coloured for 6 years (no signs of grey yet).
Long hair does not equal bad hair extensions and bad dye jobs!

Bluntness100 Tue 05-Dec-17 21:22:21

I’ve never heard of long hair described as trashy, I find it an odd word to use.

Mine is long, I guess to my tummy button straight, or to just under my boobs when curly. I love it, I’ve had it short and everything in between.

Short hair on me is very aging, and I look quite mumsy, I suit it better long, it’s softer and suits my hair shape better.

I really think it depends on the person, I have a friend who suits her hair short, and another friend who suits hers mid length.,it,really depends on the person and as we age I think we get get better at knowing what suits us. There are of course always exceptions to that rule grin

Mulberrysilk Tue 05-Dec-17 21:34:06

Your hair isn't the problem. The problem is that you're over thinking things.
All hair lengths can look great.

SukiTheDog Tue 05-Dec-17 21:41:02

My hair (might be a bit longer now). Not trashy and much better than my bob!

SukiTheDog Tue 05-Dec-17 21:42:19

Pic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now