Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

This going out short playsuit with tights?

(31 Posts)
JesusTapdancingChrist Tue 05-Dec-17 15:15:03

I bought this today for the Xmas party season and I love it. It's super flattering and very Studio 54 😀. It's a lovely bronze colour irl as well.

My issue is tights. There's no way I can do bare legs with it. Are tights with a playsuit ok? Would opaques be best?

My first thought was something a bit funkier like these spotty fishnets? Or I have the stripe top ones as well?

My style is quite quirky/alternative so I'm game for anything you can suggest really.

Shoes will be a chunky ankle boot of some kind with a heel.

Thank you!

AnnaAlyce Tue 05-Dec-17 16:07:57

I'd probably wear it with flesh coloured tights with a bit of a shimmer to them. It's a gorgeous play suit, where was it from?

Apileofballyhoo Tue 05-Dec-17 16:12:31

Not opaques, I think they'd look wrong. Some form of barely theres I think, but fishnets might work in a funky way.

Freetodowhatiwant Tue 05-Dec-17 16:21:51

Oh I love that! Where did you get it from? Please say!

I would wear it with black opaques depending on the length of the shorts. If very short - black opaques, this would look pretty funky with black heels too and maybe a black chunky bangle. If they are just short then nudes or sparkly tights. I also love nude fish nets - you look like you're in nudes until close up.

JesusTapdancingChrist Tue 05-Dec-17 16:23:26

Thanks everyone.

The playsuit is from Primark!!

The words 'flesh coloured tights' strike fear into me 😁 but I get what you mean. Will have a Google now.

ememem84 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:25:47

Primark?! That is from primark?

<sighs because my nearest primark is Exeter. Or Southampton by distance. Or London by travel time. Damm Channel Islands>

JesusTapdancingChrist Tue 05-Dec-17 16:28:34

Oh booooo ememem ☹️

It was £13 as well.

I'm only 5'3 so the shorts are not too short on me. Think the spotty fishnets could work well but will look for a shimmery alternative now. I'm quite pale so not sure how my legs would look in anything nude 😐.

StorminaBcup Tue 05-Dec-17 16:29:15

I’d go fishnets if that’s your style - you’ll pull it off. It reminds me of an Alison Goldfrapp outfit (in a good way!)

Freetodowhatiwant Tue 05-Dec-17 16:29:40

I'm heading right down to Primark tomorrow to try that on. Thanks!

Nude tights are actually pretty trendy right now believe it or not. I see a lot of 'the young folk' out in London in them these days. It's a jump for us who are used to them being a bit old lady but that's why I go for the nude fish nets.

JesusTapdancingChrist Tue 05-Dec-17 16:30:41

Oooh yeah that's a definite good thing Storm. She's a style crush of mine 😍😍.

QueenOfTheAndals Tue 05-Dec-17 16:31:32

If you're going the nude tights route then it's best to pay a little more and seek out ones that actually match your skin tone. Falke's Shelina tights are excellent and come in an open-toe version too.

franktheskank Tue 05-Dec-17 16:34:29

Black opaque s would look good with black ankle boots I think. No one wears flesh coloured tights anymore 😂

FergalBurgal Tue 05-Dec-17 16:54:04

I'd go for opaques. But I always wear opaques. Fishnets would look cool but make me feel chilly on your behalf.
Flesh coloured scare me too. American tan? grin

PhatSlag Tue 05-Dec-17 18:18:21

Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs is your friend here and then you won’t need tights.

ferrier Tue 05-Dec-17 18:26:27

I like the spotty fishnetty ones. I think the style matches the playsuit better ie a little on the flamboyant side. I hope that's what you're aiming for!

JesusTapdancingChrist Tue 05-Dec-17 19:59:31

ferrier flamboyant probably sums it up, yeah 💃😂.

Will try it on tomorrow with tights options and see how they look.

specialsubject Tue 05-Dec-17 20:43:56

Make sure the toilet door locks because i can see a practicality issue....

ememem84 Tue 05-Dec-17 22:03:07

But I want it!!!!

I’m 5’10. That’d probably be too sbort on me.

hugoagogo Tue 05-Dec-17 22:06:37

Imagine having to nip to the loo after a few drinkies in that playsuit/tights combo!!!shock

NC4now Tue 05-Dec-17 22:08:35

I love it! I’d go for black tights. Sheer would look good.

KnobJockey Tue 05-Dec-17 23:24:39

Love that! What a great find. Did anybody use to watch That 70s Show? Looks like a Laurie outfit.

You could totally get away with black opaques IMO. Or- maybe a bit too out there but...over the knee boots? If it's not too short on you?

What's the fit like on it? I want to go try it on now, but I know I'll be disappointed as I've got a long body, so unless playsuits are extra drapey I get the dreaded camel toe ☹️

fancyKnickers Wed 06-Dec-17 05:42:14

Love that. It wasn't in my Primark a couple of days ago...

I think it would work well with many tights options. What footwear are you going for?

KatharinaRosalie Wed 06-Dec-17 06:37:02

I think the playsuit itself is so striking that patterned tights would be an overkill. I would go for black opaques. I could not do bare legs for Xmas parties (unless in Australia of course)

teaandcakeat8 Wed 06-Dec-17 06:49:47

I have the same for my Christmas party!!

I don't think tights work though. I'm going with bare legs but with my leather jacket...

Christmastree43 Wed 06-Dec-17 06:56:30

I think the polka dot tights would look great with it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: