Talk

Advanced search

Please advise me on my greying hair.

(13 Posts)
Apileofballyhoo Tue 05-Dec-17 12:43:13

I have auburn hair - it used to be quite blonde when I was a child and has got gradually darker. DS describes it as brown now.

It was never a uniform colour, always blonder at the top and front, redder at the temples and browner underneath and at the back, and quite streaky.

As I got older, the blond started to look more like highlights through auburn hair and any greys were kind of hidden through the blond. But it's starting to look much more like grey in auburn hair now, and I don't like it. I look my age enough already without the grey.

I was thinking very very subtle blonde highlights, but I am afraid I will wreck my hair and what's left of its nice natural colour.

What do you think?

Wtfdoicare Tue 05-Dec-17 13:19:33

Sorry OP, I actually think the tone of your hair looks lovely as it is. But I'm sure subtle highlights wouldn't look bad, and if you keep conditioning, it shouldn't wreck your hair.

Apileofballyhoo Tue 05-Dec-17 15:36:54

I'm kind of afraid to wreck the natural colour - I'm not going to find a hairdresser that will pull out all the single strands of grey and dye them, and the highlights might just take from the reddish brown I have. Maybe I should just leave it. The grey only really starts to show at the moment when it needs a wash as the few blondish streaks get darker and the grey looks obvious.

I know so many people that started with highlights and ended with fully blonde hair and a cycle of roots, dying, roots, dying, which I don't really want to get into.

I'm still feeling like I should do something with it though. How subtle can highlights be?

IfyouseeRitaMoreno Tue 05-Dec-17 15:40:34

Which one is your hair at the moment? The middle one?

readyforno2 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:46:05

My hair is the same colour. Don't have any advice I'm afraid.
I could have written this op myself sad

Apileofballyhoo Tue 05-Dec-17 16:17:45

They are all my hair, Rita! I've a feeling the flash went off in the second two photos and made my hair look nicer - to me it usually looks like the first photo, but I could be self critical and maybe it actually looks a bit nicer. In my head out used to look like the second or third, except with more blonde streaks, and now it looks like the first.

Apileofballyhoo Tue 05-Dec-17 16:20:36

ready Did you ever dye yours? I used to be so happy with the colour of mine. sad

Sparebutton Tue 05-Dec-17 16:23:03

I think it looks great as it is! The grey looks subtle and natural. You would not get a similar effect with a colour.

readyforno2 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:49:29

I've dyed it a couple of times.
Have blonde highlights at the moment but I'm not keen. I want my own colour back.

I dabbled with a really bright red for a while, liked it to begin with but quickly hated it.
I'm yet to find the right colour.

overnightangel Tue 05-Dec-17 16:57:57

I think it looks great! Leave it as it is, plenty people would be jealous of that shade !

Apileofballyhoo Tue 05-Dec-17 17:32:13

I've never dyed mine ready - I had natural highlights up till a few years ago and I was happy with that.

Thanks angel - it's lovely to get a compliment. I suppose it looks more like the first photo and less like the other two to me, which do look a lot nicer.

It's also straight at the front, thick and wavy behind (the brown hair at the back of my head seems to be a different type). I've never found anyone able to cut it into a shortish cut without it going out like a helmet. It's nearly always up now as I have it shoulder length as I cba with longer hair, but it looks horrible and bushy if it's down, as well as too grey! If it's too long I think it just drags my face down and makes me look more tired.

I used to wear it down more, which contributed to the natural highlights I think.

Maybe I should just concentrate on my skin instead or accept that I am 40 and look at least 40.

Blahblahblahzeeblah Tue 05-Dec-17 17:33:47

Your hair is beautiful. I don't think I could bear to put any dye on that.

readyforno2 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:13:29

I'm 32..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now