Talk

Advanced search

Do beauty counters still off make up lessons?

(27 Posts)
glitterbiscuits Mon 04-Dec-17 16:24:50

Years ago I went it the Body Shop when they sold Barbara Daly make up (anyone old enough to remember her?) I had a make up lesson, bought a few things and stuck with that until I met my DH who hates women with make up.

Being basically lazy this suited me and I abandoned it all. Although I get my eyelashes tinted and my nails done.

But now I look old and tired. And a bit like my mum.

I want a natural look, so as not to terrify DH, when I have tried myself my teenager children said I look like a ghost.

Where can I start? I need to buy some make up but really would like a fresh start.

Is there anywhere that offers this sort of service without me coming home slightly orange faced and caked? The make up counter ladies are a bit over done for my taste.

Softkitty2 Mon 04-Dec-17 16:55:33

Yes. Bobbi brown offers this service and their products are great for mature skin. Often you can choose whether you want to learn something specific like eye make up, base, or a day make up look etc etc.

Better yet go to a large dept. Store and have a look at all the make up, swatch them, ask for samples and then you can decide which brand you want a lesson with if they offer the service.

glitterbiscuits Mon 04-Dec-17 17:38:57

Thanks. I haven’t seen a Bobbi Brown counter near me. But then I haven’t properly looked. I’m trying to narrow it down before I brave the orange ladies.

AlexanderHamilton Mon 04-Dec-17 17:41:23

I booked Dd a teen make up lesson at Bobbi Brown & it was brilliant. Cost me a bit in products as she wanted some of the stuff afteregards but it stopped her doing this awful contour thing that made her look like she had dirty streaks on her face.

stoplickingthetelly Mon 04-Dec-17 20:54:31

Mac do this. Think a full face lesson is £50, but it's redeemable against products.

LizzieSiddal Mon 04-Dec-17 21:01:51

Another one who have booked Bobbi Brown and found them fab. I don’t wear much make up but DD was getting married so I wanted to look more polished but still natural. I was so pleased with the lesson and their make up.

If you look on their website you can see what you want to do and book online.

LizzieSiddal Mon 04-Dec-17 21:02:38

Bobbi Brown is free, iirc.

YesThisIsMe Mon 04-Dec-17 21:07:55

Yes Bobbi Brown are free. You’d need a fair amount of front to walk out without buying anything afterwards, I always spend a mint, but a lot of their products are quite good and decent investments.

YesThisIsMe Mon 04-Dec-17 21:08:32

Yes Bobbi Brown are free. You’d need a fair amount of front to walk out without buying anything afterwards, I always spend a mint, but a lot of their products are quite good and decent investments.

twiice Mon 04-Dec-17 21:09:24

Does anyone know if you need to book the lesson in advance? Thanks

AlexanderHamilton Mon 04-Dec-17 21:14:06

Yes. You can book it online.

glitterbiscuits Mon 04-Dec-17 21:23:47

Nearest Bobbi Brown is 60 miles away from me.

Is there a second choice?

AlexanderHamilton Mon 04-Dec-17 21:27:43

Clinique used to. I got my wedding make up done there v

LizzieSiddal Mon 04-Dec-17 21:31:38

I’ve just remembered I’ve heard a lot of people say the Boots No 7 lessons are very good. In fact I used to use their make up before I got into Bobbi Brown. Again their look is very natural.

Liquoricecomfit Tue 05-Dec-17 09:13:36

All premium make up counters will be happy to help you - just pick one where you like the look of the beauty advisor and make sure they know the kind of look you are after (ie, really natural, fresh, light etc).

I work for Estée Lauder and love meeting ladies like you and sharing tips - everyone has a different idea of how they want to look and make up can be a joy when you get over the fear of coming up to the counters and just having a chat and a play around. There are so many products and tricks and tips to discover - I never pressure to buy, just buy something if you like it.

Be brave - if you don't get the results y wanted, try another one!

AmeliaFlashtart Tue 05-Dec-17 11:27:06

Bobbi Brown would have been my first suggestions too but as there isn't one nearby I'd suggest trying Clinique. I don't like wearing too much makeup but find Clinique have some good light sheer formulas. Just tell the person what you've said here.

Hillingdon Tue 05-Dec-17 14:32:47

Liquorice - nice to hear but some of the beauty advisors are literally plastered in products I suspect you might have to wear say 10 products but could you say why it is very often put on so heavily?

Make up is great but honestly some of the counters are scary. I have found Space NK are calmer - no scary faces but some of the products are very expensive. I had a MAC one done once. Although I was in my 40's and have olive skin so can take a fairly heavy look I looked like a clown. On reflection it was the base that made it so awful.

I think if I was doing again I would definitely say light and then it can be built up.

glitterbiscuits Tue 05-Dec-17 22:25:59

Thanks all. I feel like I’m missing out with no Bobbi Brown.

I am daunted by the counters but may have to be brave.

Thanks @Liquoricecomfit. You sound lovely.

I used some foundation that was about 10 years old when I went to Parents Evening tonight. Not sure I can get away with it tomorrow in daylight. Also my eyesight is nowhere near as good when I used to wear makeup more often. That’s another factor!

Ecclesiastes Tue 05-Dec-17 22:28:26

Your DH hates women with make-up?

He sounds quite the charmer.

glitterbiscuits Wed 06-Dec-17 13:54:16

@Ecclesiastes - he has his moments! He’s a hippy! He wouldn’t care if I grew a moustache- as long as it’s natural!

He thinks make up is a mans way of dominating women or some such clap trap. He considers himself...

A male feminist. (Don’t get me started).

I gloss over a lot of his ludicrous opinions.

Alwaysinmyheart Wed 06-Dec-17 14:18:34

Just a quick question, if you have had a lesson done, did you go bare faced or with your normal make up on so they could see how you usually did it?

Oliveisme Wed 06-Dec-17 14:27:17

It's good to hear Bobbi Brown offers a free make tutorial. I was talking to a Charlotte Tilbury make up artist recently who was lovely (her make up was gorgeous and quite natural) and she did say a make up tutorial was £35.00 although it redeemable off any products bought. I suppose it depends the look you're after OP. Good luck 😉

Ecclesiastes Wed 06-Dec-17 14:51:36

Gosh. He does sound....confused.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 07-Dec-17 07:45:02

What about a private lesson with a make up artist? It's less public & you can try different brands.

RavingRoo Thu 07-Dec-17 07:46:08

Bobbi brown offers this, as do MAC, and Charlotte Tilsbury.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now