Talk

Advanced search

Living with waxing - confused

(13 Posts)
emilyfay Mon 04-Dec-17 13:22:01

I want to go for my first bikini wax in the new year (Brazilian). I have read the MN threads about what to expect and how to prepare although I am nervous about the pain. However, I am confused by something which might just be my stupidity. That is, how do you actually live with a bikini wax?

I want to look good for me all year (it's my main new year's resolution smile ). So I understand I should go for a wax every 3-4 weeks. But what happens in between? I mean if hairs start to regrow after a few days do you spend most of the year itchy and looking bad? Can you shave in between? How does it work if you want to look good all the time and not just for special occasions?

PurpleWithRed Mon 04-Dec-17 13:25:03

It looks and feels fantastic for a week or two, and good for a couple of weeks after that. I don’t find the regrowth at all itchy, which is a major plus vs shaving. Don’t shave inbetween. Get it done regularly, once a month is good.

sonlypuppyfat Mon 04-Dec-17 13:26:20

Surely leaving it alone is far more comfortable

Growingboys Mon 04-Dec-17 13:29:30

This is why I do laser

reallyanotherone Mon 04-Dec-17 13:37:54

Every 3-4 weeks? Fuck that! I wouldn’t spend that much time and money on my head hair, or my dentist, which at least are on display smile

If you’ve never done it how do you know it “looks good”? Have you seen many hairy vs bald and prefer the bald look? Having spent far too much time in swimming changing rooms i definately don’t like the look of hairless.

Are you simply thinking because current fashion is for hairless it somehow must look better?

I know you say you want to look good for you, but what defines looking good? Why does removing your body hair = looking good?

Fascinating.

Softkitty2 Mon 04-Dec-17 14:27:20

I have lycon wax regularly. I used to shave, I must say I prefer waxing because the re growth is slower and I am smoother for longer.

My regrowth isn't itchy and it doesn't bother me if there is a bit of hair until my next appt.

It's all about preference I suppose. smile

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Mon 04-Dec-17 14:50:19

I get a Brazilian every 4 weeks.

The first time you get it done you will be hair free for a good while, until the first hairs start to grow back. Then, yes, you have to wait for the next wax before you can get smooth again.

On your second wax only the regrown hairs will be removed, so hairs will start to reappear much quicker. But once you have been having it done for a couple of years the hair should be much sparser so you do feel smoother for longer.

If you only want to do it as a one off, then you would be smooth for longer each time as all the hair would have had a chance to grow back in between - but it would be much more painful (hence I go every 4 weeks - it hurts enough without having 2-3x the hair ripped out each time!)

mehhh Mon 04-Dec-17 14:55:10

@Growingboys do you mind me asking how much lazer is and how many times you have to get it done?

Something I would like to do at some point

emilyfay Mon 04-Dec-17 15:07:22

Thank you BlairWaldorfLovesShopping (and others).

My slight problem is that there are almost exactly 3 weeks between the first two times I really want to look at my best in 2018. Is that two small an interval to go twice do you think?

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Mon 04-Dec-17 17:12:40

Hard to say - it'd probably be just about ok, unless you're one of those lucky people whose hair grows really slowly! You could always ask the waxer what they think, they'll have seen so many people.

madmomma Mon 04-Dec-17 20:06:29

I have a Hollywood every 4 weeks and have never experienced any itchiness at all. The regrowth is soft and unobtrusive - we're not talking spiders'legs that would stick out of a bikini.

Growingboys Mon 04-Dec-17 21:33:40

Laser is expensive. I've probably spent £1500 on it and that has got rid of Hair I didn't want on my forearms, my legs, bikini line and armpits.

I have the very occasional top up on my bikini line and underarms but the rest is gone.

I realised I was spending over £100 getting waxed before eg a holiday and then I'd get regrowth within a week. Laser is less expensive in the long run IME.

Also my legs are just smooth and lovely, whereas before they were hairy and yuk.

Don't mean to offend anyone who likes being hairy but I didn't and wish I'd done laser years ago. I couldn't afford it til recently though!

endthefarts Tue 05-Dec-17 06:55:03

I gave up with waxing after about a year. I have dark hair and pale skin and was getting no more than a week before the hair started growing back and because it's dark it was really noticeable. I would inmagine that it works well for blondes though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now