Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a dress please

(14 Posts)
Hairyhat Mon 04-Dec-17 11:42:07

Help me find a dress please. I don't normally wear them. I need it for Christmas night out etc. I have very fair skin but love sparkly black or dark colour if possible. I am short (5ft) and large chest is about 12/14 but I'm an 8 or 10 on the bottom. So does this make me 'apple' shape? My different sizes top and bottom means I've never found a dress that's flattering. Any help most gratefully received!

Hairyhat Mon 04-Dec-17 12:07:10

Show me yours?

Mulberrysilk Mon 04-Dec-17 12:16:21

Try bravissimo. You can shop by bra size so you won't have to go up to a 14 (which is probably too big on the shoulders) to accommodate your chest.

Hairyhat Mon 04-Dec-17 13:17:32

Thanks. I didn't know bravissimo did party dresses. Off to google now

Hairyhat Mon 04-Dec-17 20:36:20

Bravissimo don't have bra size dresses as far as I can see. I need someone who's an apple shape too to show me a dress that they love I think!

RockinHippy Mon 04-Dec-17 23:37:12

Do you have a waist?

If you have no defined waist, then you would be Apple, but with a waist, you are hour glass.

If you are hour glass, look at 50s retro styles. 40s shapes work quite well on a apple. V necks would work well on you too. Length depends on your age, but high calf length will be more flattering on your height & build

PerfectlyDone Mon 04-Dec-17 23:39:06

What is your budget?

St Bustier is great for those of us larger of nork smile

PerfectlyDone Mon 04-Dec-17 23:42:24

O Baukjen? - incredibly comfortable and very flattering, great quality jersey.
Not suitable for black tie events but with a killer heel and jewellery/belt? You'd look great.

Cakescakescakes Mon 04-Dec-17 23:43:52

The Bravissimo dresses come in different fits - curvy, super curvy etc depending on how much extra room in the bust there is. So a 10 in super curvy fit will be bigger in the busy area than a 10 in curvy. Might be worth a go for you.

RestingGrinchFace Mon 04-Dec-17 23:56:53

You want a dress that has the following:
1. Deep v neck neckline (assuming that it is ok to look a bit sexy). This will prevent your breasts from looking overly large or matronly.
2. A fit a flare cut (you may need to have the waist taken in a bit). The fit will make the most of your slim waist while the flare will help balance out your figure so that you don't look too heavy.
3. Knee length-so that you don't look too short.
4. Consider sleeves that stick out a bit of your shoulders are narrow-this will also help to balance out your proportions.

SleepIsForTheWeek Tue 05-Dec-17 00:03:33

I'm an apple too and got this last year. I saw someone wearing it at a Christmas party last week and she had belted it. It looked great.

Hairyhat Wed 06-Dec-17 12:40:15

Oh thank you all. I thought no one was replying. Now I'm excited to go and look at the recommendations. Mumsnet is brilliant!

Hairyhat Wed 06-Dec-17 12:43:42

Rockinhippy I don't think I have a defined waist.** I'm like an upside down triangle if that makes sense? My hips certainly don't stick out (nonexistent) but my tummy does go in a bit at the navel.** Except after Christmas overindulging

Hairyhat Wed 06-Dec-17 12:44:21

Don't why it did the extra bold there ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now