Talk

Advanced search

Dr Martens

(11 Posts)
NavyGold Mon 04-Dec-17 05:39:23

It's been ages since I invested in a decent pair of boots and I've decided to go for a pair of DMs.
I'm leaning more towards the Emmelines than the originals but I haven't made up my mind completely.
Can anybody give me a clue about what sizing is like on either of them these? Am I likely to have to size up or down? Are they really as hard to break in as some people say they are?

Thanks in advance!

malovitt Mon 04-Dec-17 05:47:41

I recently bought a pair and the sizing was spot on (5) for me. Whereas the traditional ones came up a bit small.
Mine were easy to break in but I wore them round the house with decent quality socks and made frequent short journeys at first as advised by the shop.They are lovely and comfortable.

lazydog Mon 04-Dec-17 05:56:56

Fit true to size, in my experience. And yes, definitely break them in slowly. Once you have, they're sooo comfortable, but I once made the mistake of wearing a brand new pair for a whole day without a break, because I had a few other pairs already, and had false confidence in the toughness of my heels. I think it was traipsing round either Alton Towers or Chester Zoo. I had blood soaked socks at the end of the day...

shushpenfold Mon 04-Dec-17 06:16:59

True to size/ slightly larger than. I’m a 7.5 usually and am only just a 7 in DMs

NavyGold Mon 04-Dec-17 06:45:41

blood soaked socks! Poor you!

I keep flitting back and forth but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the Cherry Red Emmelines. I do like the look of the Floras too though...

NavyGold Mon 04-Dec-17 06:52:53

Having said that about the cherry red/burgundy, I've read some reviews about the colour rubbing off fairly quickly. Anybody else had a similar experience?

lazydog Mon 04-Dec-17 07:32:45

Thanks Navy - It was over 20 years ago. I was a stupid student at the time grin

Dh has a pair burgundy DMs and the burgundy colour has been fine, but they also had areas of black shading, which has worn off in places over the last couple of years, to show much more of the red beneath.

PNGirl Mon 04-Dec-17 12:41:28

I'm wearing these Pascal Virginia today - much easier to break in than regular smooth leather.

Softkitty2 Mon 04-Dec-17 14:37:18

I bought DH the dm's chelsea boots in black for xmas. The leather looked a bit shiny, I am worried it will crack overtime. I bought some leather protector just in case.

Gilead Mon 04-Dec-17 20:40:22

I've spent this winter so far in my Karin Broadway docs. They're so comfortable and required no breaking in at all.

IamEarthymama Mon 04-Dec-17 20:46:54

I have 4 pairs of DMs, Mary Janes
Khaki knee high, Black knee high and these beauties
I can't believe the price of the last pair, I paid about £70 3 years ago smile

They are all still going strong though I have had to glue a split in the sole of the black boots. It has worked really well and they are as comfy and warm as ever.
I use DMs leather protector on all my leather shoes, it's about £5 and lasts for ages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now