Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Elasticizer or castor oil - opinions please

(17 Posts)
tobee Sat 02-Dec-17 18:33:16

I have thin hair.

Would love to hear your opinions on elasticizer and/or castor oil.

Are they good for thin hair in your opinion? How about the overall condition? How often do you use them? How long do you leave in?

Thanks!

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sat 02-Dec-17 19:02:13

Never tried castor oil. Why not buy a sample size of each to try,see what suits
Elasticizer I buy the litre and lasts a year. I apply it to unwashed hair,overnight. Wrap in a warm towel for a while and then just sleep with elasticizer in.
John Lewis sell the litre size and usually goes in jan sale

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sat 02-Dec-17 19:03:58

Pressed too soon
Elasticizer makes my hair soooo soft. Apply to unwashed towel dried hair
IMO it did improve the condition of my hair, and smell divine

esk1mo Sat 02-Dec-17 19:04:25

i think castor oil is an old wives tail to be honest.

your thin hair might just be in your DNA, not much you can do about it. maybe try eating more protein, or vitamins/biotin to see
if that helps improve the condition

tobee Sat 02-Dec-17 20:01:39

Thanks for the replies!

I assumed that the castor oil (and elasticizor) didn't do anything for the hair other than a cosmetic coating/conditioning to make the strands appear thicker?

Was interested to find out because of the price of elasticizor and the potential awkwardness of castor oil e.g leaving it on for a long time and messiness.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sat 02-Dec-17 22:09:18

QVC sell litre elasticiser for £63
You can buy small tubes eBay,online
See if it suits. I love it. Rinses out easily,and great results

HarlotsWeb Sun 03-Dec-17 07:19:52

A main ingredient in Elasticizer is castor oil. I was a long time castor oil user, then bought a pot of Elasticizer and then discovered it was the same bloody stuff, just with extra gloop and perfume! So I went back to saving my money smile

prettywhiteguitar Sun 03-Dec-17 08:17:58

I found the problem with castor oil is that on my fine hair it was too much and I couldn't get it out, it made it very limp.

I like elasticisor, but the big difference I have found it a root booster from Waitrose Richard Ward, keratin bulking spritz, spay a couple of sprays at the roots and my hair looks so much fuller without any stiffness. A few people have commented on my hair recently and I think it's that I can style it properly now.

lovemylover Sun 03-Dec-17 09:37:08

Superdrug are advertising something new called ROOTS that is supposed to help hair growth
Going to have a look myself as my hair is thinning fast

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sun 03-Dec-17 14:13:47

Can I ask harlot what did you do with the castor oil,do you just apply it directly or mix with another oil or hair serum?

tobee Wed 06-Dec-17 00:04:41

Ooh, more answers! Thank you.

HarlotsWeb Wed 06-Dec-17 12:30:39

I just applied it directly. It is quite thick, so if I was feeling energetic I heated it slightly first to make it a bit runnier. It definitely took a good couple of goes of shampoo+rinse to get it all out though as prettywhiteguitar says.

HarlotsWeb Wed 06-Dec-17 12:31:32

It was very good for my fine hair though - it made it feel sort of heavy and sleek.

MikeUniformMike Wed 06-Dec-17 12:33:28

I've read about elasticizer and fancied trying it but it's too expensive for me. What should I do with the castor oil?

HarlotsWeb Wed 06-Dec-17 12:37:16

Mike, you (well I) just put it all over your hair and leave it for a few hours before shampooing it out. I leave it overnight (with a towel on my pillow).

MikeUniformMike Wed 06-Dec-17 12:40:01

Brilliant. I'll try it. Thanks.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Wed 06-Dec-17 19:19:12

Where you buying your castor oil,and is organic unrefined or the black Jamaican castor oil?
I do want to try it,but imagine what a mug I’ll feel if it’s same result as elasticizer...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: