Talk

Advanced search

Can we have a new Philips Lumea/IPL thread?

(48 Posts)
TidyLike Sat 02-Dec-17 12:29:01

Thinking of getting one of these as a Christmas present to myself. The threads about them on MN are quite old now. Which one is best to buy now? And will it work on me? I'm very pale but with dark body hair.

VanessaBet Sat 02-Dec-17 14:18:46

Bumping as I'm also interested. I paid for sessions at beauty place and it's been pretty good, but I am noticing more regrowth. Could do with another 6 sessions but one of these seems more cost effective. Although am I right that you get a limited number of 'flashes'? (though probably still more than 6 sessions worth)

You definitely have right colouring, am also pale with dark hair.

SandyDays Sat 02-Dec-17 14:23:01

Absolutely love mine, bought it around 18months ago and as sad as it sounds it changed my life!
No more ingrown hairs, or razor rash on bikini area. I paid £300 for it I think and it's been money well spent.

I have medium colour skin and dark hair and it's been very good.
Doesn't hurt at all except if you use a too high setting on sensitive areas, but then you can just turn the setting down.
I think it took around a month for me to notice the change which felt like forever at the time!

Now I just top up every 5 weeks or so to keep on top of it.

TidyLike Sat 02-Dec-17 14:51:34

Thanks both! Sandy do you have to do any shaving in between sessions? I used to use an epilator and after a while it just stopped being effective at removing hair, loads ingrowing, so I went back to shaving. It's a pain though.

TidyLike Sat 02-Dec-17 15:35:47

Also Sandy which one do you have? There seem to be loads ...

BobbinThreadbare123 Sat 02-Dec-17 15:39:35

I just got one. Amazon had a deal on. I got the SC1999/00 one, so it's fairly posh but not cordless (it was a significant amount more to pay for cordless).

Not really used it in anger yet. I'm very pale skinned with almost black hair so I think it'll work well. I just want to get rid of my ever increasing chin hairs!

Uokbing Sat 02-Dec-17 15:41:35

I got one for Xmas last Year, it was the latest Philips lumea at the time whatever that was, about 320 quid I think.

I do really like it, BUT you do have to keep it up to remain hair free. It really came into its own over the summer for me, I used it religiously and didn't have to shave in between at all and when on holiday, it was great! Now it's winter and I am being lazy and haven't been using it and am hairy again. Having said that, I just had a check of my bikini line just now (it's something I take zero notice of normally right now!) and I have to say there is still quite a lot of hair missing and it's weeks since I used it and I have only used it once in the last few months.

But I think for complete smoothness you have to be a bit more strict with it than me!

Uokbing Sat 02-Dec-17 15:44:13

Just to add, I am the idea candidate, blue skin and dark hair, hooray finally that has come through for me! I always crank it up to the highest setting and on the armpits it does smart a little (does feel like a hot elastic band being pinged) but it's just for a second and it's better than waxing.

The machines are much better value for money than getting it done in a salon I think.

Animation86 Sat 02-Dec-17 15:46:43

I have one but too bloody lazy to keep it up

Accidentally hit a tattoo with it once. Oh my god. Oh my actual word

GorgonzolaForever Sat 02-Dec-17 16:05:43

How often do you have to 'top it up'?

BarbaraOcumbungles Sat 02-Dec-17 16:09:05

One of the older threads on here is mine and I still have it and still adore it!

BarbaraOcumbungles Sat 02-Dec-17 16:09:24

The lumea that is <hangover>

Ohyesiam Sat 02-Dec-17 16:17:54

Am really trying to remember what mine is called. Smooth Skin Gold I think.
Amazon, about £300, really really good , but you have to keep it up. It made last summer much better.
I had my bikini line done at a salon for about £100 offer on Groupon, and that was so fantastical I went ahead and bought my own.
I have pale skin and black hair.

TidyLike Sat 02-Dec-17 16:51:38

Ok what model does everyone have? I'm looking at the Phillips Lumea BRI956 which is £324 in Argos. I would need it for legs, underarms, and bikini, but not face. Is that a good choice, do you think? I notice there are some cheaper ones about too but this looks like quite a good deal ...

MissWimpyDimple Sat 02-Dec-17 17:00:34

Love mine. Changed my life. Yes you do have to keep it up but not much.

Mine is 3 years old and still going strong.

SavoyCabbage Sat 02-Dec-17 17:35:19

I’ve just got that one. I’ve only used it once so I can’t tell you if it’s working yet. I want to use it on my dd who is mixed race so I wanted one that would adjust automatically to skin tones.

It’s easy to operate and doesn’t hurt at all.

SandyDays Sat 02-Dec-17 18:16:58

Mine is called the precision plus, it came with two different size heads and once charged is cordless

Like other posters I have become lazy over autumn and winter and the hair slowly comes back but much slower than normal and in thin patches if that makes sense?
Amazing for the summer, it meant I could throw a bikini on any time with out thinking oh no I've not shaved! blush

mrsreynolds Sat 02-Dec-17 18:31:10

I've just bought the basic model for £180
But now I'm having a crisis of confidence!
I'm pale and have black hairs so hopefully it should work?
How long does each area take? Shpuld I wait til the special protective glasses arrive?
How often do you need to use it?

FrancisCrawford Sat 02-Dec-17 18:33:34

I noticed Lidl are doing one for £70 and am very tempted.

katymac Sat 02-Dec-17 18:38:37

@SavoyCabbage I'm in the same position - which model did you get?

wonderstuff Sat 02-Dec-17 18:43:16

I bought one from boots last week as it was on sale. I have a dream of going on holiday without having to spend ages on my legs, im very very hairy, pale skin and black hair. I’ve done one session. I’m hoping it’ll change my life.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 02-Dec-17 18:50:17

I have the lumea comfort which I only use on my face, although it can be used on the body too. It does have limited flashes, but it's something like several thousand, so will last ages hopefully. After trying to be more strict to follow the programme, I downloaded the app which reminds me to do it. My top lip is almost completely hair free now ( I have PCOS) but my chin is not really any different and I'm still having to shave regularly between used as before. I don't know if I should increase the frequency of using the lumea (currently using every 2 weeks as directed) or just to keep going and waiting to see if there's any change.

SuzanneSays Sat 02-Dec-17 19:07:38

Without wanting to sound dramatic- the lumea changed my life!!! I had awful ingrown hairs on my legs and used to pick at them and dreaded having to show my legs. I got mine in march 2014 and used it religiously every week for about 5 months. I shaved between uses not that I really needed to after a while. I'm pregnant now so haven't used for over 6 months and my legs are still smooth (with the odd long hair that i pluck in the bath!) underarms and bikini are a bit hairy again though.
I hummed about buying one for years because of the cost and wish I had just gone for it sooner now. I'm medium skinned with dark hair. Can't remember name of model- cordless and has face attachment too. Just remember to barge once a month regardless of if you are using or it will break and be non replaceable under refund t&cs.

GorgonzolaForever Sat 02-Dec-17 20:11:03

So if I were to maintain in once a week/fortnight, that would be enough? How long does it take to do, say just legs, bikini line and under arms.

I am almost certainly going to buy one in Jan when I'm not pregnant and I'd LOVE to hair smooth legs for this summer. Is that doable if I start late Jan, early Feb?

I think I'd be a good candidate as I'm fairly pale olive skinned with dark thick hair, and lots of it!!!!!

Uokbing Sat 02-Dec-17 23:26:10

Just remember to barge once a month regardless of if you are using or it will break and be non replaceable under refund t&cs

Is 'barge' a typo here? Now I am panicking about what I need to do once a month to stop my lumea from breaking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now