Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Terrible Legs =(

(11 Posts)
DeeDub Sat 02-Dec-17 12:28:19

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with my legs. I like the shape of them. I think they look passable in a pair of tights. Over the winter that is okay. However, I dread the summer because the skin on my legs is all spotty. I can't ditch the tights unless I go for trousers or leggings and hide my legs away.

What doesn't help any is that I had a bump on my leg earlier this year which resulted in a big bruise and scab. Months later there is a big ugly dark spot there that doesn't seem to be going.

I'm hoping that someone can help me free my legs!

With tights

Without tights

Dee

botemp Sat 02-Dec-17 12:41:19

Get a body lotion with a keralytic in it, high percentage urea, AHA, or Retinol. The keralytic should help fade the mark somewhat. If you continue using the BL in summer with a keralytic then wear SPF religiously as they do make the skin sun sensitive which means you burn faster and increase risk of skin cancers without the use of SPF, 30 or above but ideally SPF50.

Also, shave with the grain downwards and probably avoid using foam, something cream based instead to avoid further inflammation. Hair conditioner works well as does oil but oil is a lot harder to clean out of your razer and the hairs clog up faster. Legs won't be as smooth as with shaving again the grain but it won't react with bumpies as strongly so it's not like they were really all that smooth to begin with.

They're not magically going to turn into photoshopped legs, it's just the way your skin is, mine is too. Best results I've seen is by doing permanent hair removal with laser as the little dots are no longer black so not as noticeable and not continually shaving means less irritation. With a product like Vita Liberata Body blur in the summer they get pretty close to that Photoshop ideal though.

ilovecherries Sat 02-Dec-17 14:33:24

Honestly, I understand why you feel the way you do, and I'd certainly follow botemp's advice. But really, it's largely about not caring. I have one leg covered in surgical scars, and it's very wasted, so it's very visibly a different size and shape from my good leg. I spent years hiding it, wouldn't wear tight trousers or skirts etc etc, and one day just decided 'fuck it, no one cares'. Even if they notice, it's more a mild passing curiosity rather than them bring traumatised for life.

Fontella Sat 02-Dec-17 14:43:58

First of all you've got a cracking pair of legs!

Re skin tone, spots and blemishes - I just use ordinary face foundation make up in a tan shade. I mix it in my palm with a bit of body lotion and use it to cover up any marks/blotches/blemishes on my legs, and I have a fair few. I've been doing it for years and it works a treat. A little goes a long way.

I also use Palmer's Cocoa Butter - natural bronze body lotion - after every bath/shower. It moisturises but also gives your skin a lovely healthy glow. Of all the tinted body lotions this is by far the best and most natural in my opinion. On it's own it won't cover skin blemishes but combined with the foundation trick, the skin on my legs looks even and smooth.

You can also get spray on stuff - like Sally Hansen's airbrush legs, but I found it too messy to use personally. You spray your legs, but it sprays everything else around it too! Marks also do one called 'Spray on Tights'.

AccrualIntentions Sat 02-Dec-17 14:45:59

I have similar with my legs - if I have to get them out in the summer I use the rub in cream version of the sally Hansen airbrush legs (I also make too much of a mess with the spray). Unfortunately even the lightest shade is quite dark so it only works for me with a bit of a fake tan. But basically, i wear opaques 50 weeks of the year.

whoareyoukidding Sat 02-Dec-17 14:59:32

You have lovely legs. I was going to say fake tan, and I think there's some really good advice from others. But really, you have nothing to worry about!

LemonysSnicket Sat 02-Dec-17 15:01:53

Karatosis pilaris? Try using Lush's ScruBee on them in the shower. It exfoliates and moisturises and got rid of my KP on my arms x

DeeDub Tue 05-Dec-17 11:28:36

Wow. Thank you all for your suggestions and your kind words. They did make me smile.

I’m interested in knowing more about creams that will help the mark from my bump fade quicker. Does anyone have any specific products that they’ve had success with? My skin usually heals quickly but I guess that there is less blood flow to the thinner skin on my shin.

Karatosis pilaris might be what’s giving me the little reddish dots. I can try some exfoliation and moisturiser. A bit of (fake)tan might help mask the problem too.

Thanks

XoX

Dee

botemp Tue 05-Dec-17 11:48:41

The mark is less likely to be a blood flow issue, it's just dead skin that's build up at a higher rate in response to injury and the dark colour is just a residual of the bruise. On the mark itself you can try Avene Akerat 30 which is a higher % urea cream for targeted use. It's also good for those with build up on elbows and knees. The Retinol version is Avene Denseal but I'd try the urea first for the former bruise.

If you have KP on the arms than it is usually a milder form on the legs. It depend what you respond to best but why I suggested a body lotion with a keralytic in (as KP is an issue of keratanised skin by having an excess production of keratin, something which a keralytic tackles), it's really individual. The Eucerin 10% urea body lotion is usually a good place to start. If it's more stubborn then try Amlactin or Ameliorate. If neither of those work then the BHA, AHA, or Retinol body lotions from Paula's Choice.

Apileofballyhoo Tue 05-Dec-17 11:59:28

My DM had a mark like that that she thought was never going away - by chance she put Pure Potions Skin Salvation Ointment on it and away it went.

AhAgain Tue 05-Dec-17 17:10:12

You have really lovely legs.

Definitely a good moisturiser (Aveeno). You could try some Bio Oil on the dark spot (it will fade over time) and agree about a hint of tinted moisturiser occasionally.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: