Talk

Advanced search

What lipstick to go with this dress?

(8 Posts)
PeanutButterIsEverything Fri 01-Dec-17 20:25:27

I've bought this dress for a do next week. Not sure what colour lipstick would go with it. Was planning on my usual smokyish (or more eyeliner than usual) eyes so perhaps nothing too heavy. I'm quite pale with mousy/auburn with blondish bits hair. Any tips? I don't usually wear much make up.

https://m.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/billie-blossom-blackcurrant-velour-bodycon-dress

margaritasbythesea Fri 01-Dec-17 20:55:23

Your link is not working for me.

PeanutButterIsEverything Fri 01-Dec-17 21:31:56

Gah stupid phone, I'll try again!

https://m.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/dresses-5699972/going-out-party-dresses-5965766/billie-blossom-blackcurrant-velour-bodycon-dress-7165514?bi=0&ps=20&cm_mmc=AWIN-_-104504-_-Deeplink-_-Generic&cmpid=aff_cont_awuk_104504&_$ja=tsid:19886|prd:104504

Notsooriginalwerther Fri 01-Dec-17 21:36:15

OP the dress is beautiful! Lipstick colour can also depend on skin tone, eye colour and hair colour too but I would say a nude lipstick that’s not matte would work well, wouldn’t be hard to maintain whilst having a few drinks and no worries about dark or bright colours smudging or ending up on your teeth after a few bevvies and reapplying ;) let the dress do the talking.

RiskIt4Biscuit Fri 01-Dec-17 21:43:15

It depends on what you feel comfortable wearing.

Personally, I'd go for either nude or blue-toned red.
I'd avoid too warm/orange (like Lady Danger) and lipsticks that are similar to the colour of the dress as it could be too matchy (berry and darker pink tones).

However, a warm-toned lipstick might look amazing on you, and might look amazing with warm-toned eye shadow

PaxUniversalis Fri 01-Dec-17 21:47:13

Why not try one of the Boots No. 7 range lipsticks.
www.boots.com/no7-match-made-moisture-drench-lipstick-3-8g-10217579

Waterlily maybe? Or Rose Mist. Deep Rose? Soft Paprika?
I wouldn't choose anything darker because your dress is cranberry.
Alternatively you could try a classic red. Pillarbox looks nice and so does Flame.
You will need to go into Boots and try the in-store testers.

PeanutButterIsEverything Fri 01-Dec-17 22:28:49

Thanks, I have a nude lipstick so I will try that. Thought it might be too boring but I guess with the eyes and the dress anything darker might be too much.

Pax it's more purple than cranberry so not sure a red would go.

PaxUniversalis Fri 01-Dec-17 22:59:37

My mistake, yes it's more purple than cranberry. Sorry, have had a few glasses of wine tonight! Still I think you could get away with a reddish lipstick as long as it's not too bright red. Nude would look good too. Why not go to the shops and try the testers they usually have. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now