Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Safe make up for tweens

(9 Posts)
8obby Fri 01-Dec-17 10:14:08

DD (9) has asked for make up for Christmas. She'll only be allowed to try it out at home, but I'd still prefer for it to be as safe as possible in terms of toxins etc. Does anyone know of any safe make-up brands that aren't too pricey? Just want eyeshadow, lipstick/gloss, and mascara (ideally just clear mascara). Any tips or pointers welcome. Thanks.

Cocolepew Fri 01-Dec-17 10:39:30

Revolution or MUA from Superdrug.

8obby Sat 02-Dec-17 07:38:06

Thanks. Have just had a look at these and they look good in terms of the finish they give as make up, but I can't see anything about their safety - are they non-toxic, natural ingredients etc? I've seen safe make up in health food shops but it's all pricey - just wondering if more experienced parents know cheaper but safe make up. Thanks.

Nettletheelf Sat 02-Dec-17 07:45:19

I don’t think anybody would be allowed to sell ‘toxic’ make up!

There’s a difference between make up not made from ‘all natural ingredients’ (and both strychnine and cyanide are naturally occurring chemicals, BTW) and stuff that is actively toxic.

BusterGonad Sat 02-Dec-17 08:11:08

I think you are over thinking it Op, as Nettle said, I don't think you'd find make up on shop shelves if they were toxic etc, if you want natural products you will have to pay the high prices.
Burts Bees do lipsticks and glosses.

specialsubject Sat 02-Dec-17 09:06:07

The word 'toxins' anywhere indicates babble unless you are having a liver transplant.

All slap sold in the UK is non poisonous. Adults matter as much as kids so it is deemed a bad idea to sell ceruse.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 02-Dec-17 09:14:56

I agree it's all safe.

Leads natural but not safe. Arsenic was natural & used in skin care but again not safe.

sandytowel Sat 02-Dec-17 09:20:21

Natural Collection from Boots is a staple for pre-teens, v cheap too. Though I think the 'Natural' refers to the idea that it's very light/natural makeup as opposed to the ingredients.

If you want to get her something a bit more special for Xmas, try Revolution or ELF from Superdrug - both slightly nicer packaging. Barry M is also a great young brand, and not tested on animals.

specialsubject Sat 02-Dec-17 09:22:30

No cosmetics sold in the uk or EU are animal tested. Mind the greenwash.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: