Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Best foundation for pale skin with lots of redness

(24 Posts)
ChabuddysPeanutDust Thu 30-Nov-17 21:09:15

Years of acne have left my pale skin with lots of redness and acne scars.

Any suggestions?

bakingbee Thu 30-Nov-17 21:12:50

I have same and Chantecaille is amazing! ££ though but worth every penny imo

Maraki Thu 30-Nov-17 21:14:41

Estee Lauder Double Wear has amazing coverage. I’m really pale and I wear shade 2 (fresco), there are paler shades available. You probably don’t want to wear powder over it otherwise it will look cakey. But it will last all day.

LadyGrey66 Thu 30-Nov-17 21:16:12

For a cheap option I've found Revlon Colourstay amazing! Great coverage and stays on ALL day.

Chickpearocker Thu 30-Nov-17 21:18:35

Bare minerals is good especially if you have dry skin

RayM Thu 30-Nov-17 21:24:40

Charlotte Tilbury - either magic or wonder glow depending on your skin type. Both excellent and I have very pale skin with acne scarring.

falange Thu 30-Nov-17 21:31:47

I also recommend Estée Lauder double wear. Lots of pale shades and the longest lasting coverage. It won't budge.

roobrr Thu 30-Nov-17 21:36:41

Get a good colour correcting concealer for under your foundation - Urban Decay's Naked skin colour correcting fluid is fab - as this will help you tonnes x

BetterEatCheese Thu 30-Nov-17 21:37:12

IT C+ - good for redness

Leg88 Thu 30-Nov-17 21:37:40

Bare Minerals!!!

BeetrootTart Thu 30-Nov-17 21:38:36

Illamasqua skin base is good. I have mild rosacea and it covers that well. Comes in many shades from white to darkest brown. It's expensive but lasts ages.

ChabuddysPeanutDust Thu 30-Nov-17 21:54:03

Wow, so many responses already, thank you.

If you buy a high street/drugstore foundation, what's the best way to match it? I'm a bit worried I'll buy the wrong shade and won't end up being able to use it.

Cakescakescakes Thu 30-Nov-17 21:59:18

The Timbury foundations are very yellow tones so if you are pale with redness (so probably cool toned ski ) then they won’t suit you. Ditto Bourjois which also lean very yellow.

I am very pale with red undertones and have just been through a mammoth new foundation hunt. Most counters will colour match you and give you a little sample bottle to try. The best I’ve had were Estée Lauder Dkuble Wear Light - very long wearing without the cakey look of Double Wear - and the winner is YSL All Hours in shade BR10 which colour matches perfectly, lasts well and has the most beautiful texture and lovely finish.

Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet is also fabulous but not pale enough.

L’Oréal True Match was the best budget high street option. I would look online at the swatches as they used dozens of people in the ad campaign. See who looks like they match your colouring best - it goes to very pale so should be one for you there.

Cakescakescakes Thu 30-Nov-17 21:59:40

Tilbury

zippyswife Thu 30-Nov-17 22:03:58

Cakes would you recommend Chanel perfection over the vitalumiere/aqua and similar would you recommend the ysl all hours over the touché eclat? I’ve been wearing touché eclat for years (pale skin with rosacea/pink undertones) and have liked it.

ChabuddysPeanutDust Thu 30-Nov-17 22:08:46

Great post Cakes thank you! So much info.

Cakescakescakes Thu 30-Nov-17 22:12:08

I had a sample of the Touch Eclat foundation as well and hands down All Hours is better. Longer wearing and nicer finish. It just goes on so smoothly and evenly - good coverage it still just looks like you have really good skin not really good make up if you know what I mean. Definitely try a sample.

I find Chanel Lumiere Velvet wears better than the aqua. It is a more natural matte (but not flat) finish than the dewiness of the aqua etc but it has better buildable coverage and doesn’t go oily and slip off on me like the vitalumiere Aqua did.

But Lumiere Velvet has a more limited shade range and the lightest cool tones one is too dark for me. If they did BR10 in it like in the others then it would be great but they don’t in the UK even though they do abroad.

Go to a YSL counter and ask for an All Houra sample and give it a go.

littleyellowlamp Thu 30-Nov-17 22:12:57

Revlon Colour stay and Rimmel 25 hourwear are the best pale, full coverage long lasting drugstore ones I've tried, also love the Maybelline fit me matte and poreless one but the coverage is'nt as heavy as the other two, still really good and so affordable though!

And Esteé Lauder double wear is good, but for me even the palest shade is too dark, the Kat Von D foundation is really good and there's loads of good pale colours withe different undertones but I find it settles into my fine lines if I don't buff it in really well, amazing coverage and lasts really well though!

It's can be abit of guess work from the samples for the drugstore brands (looking on youtube for shade comparison videos really helps me though!) for the higher end ones you should be able to goto the counter where they'll either match you there or you can ask for a little sample pot of a couple of shades so you can try them at home so you can pick the right one.

Also NYX do a white foundation mixer which is really good to make the slightly darker foundations lighter, it sheers out the coverage a little but nothing drastic!

Cakescakescakes Thu 30-Nov-17 22:13:42

Sorry for my horrific typos and grammar! Typing too fast on my phone!

littleyellowlamp Thu 30-Nov-17 22:18:40

also if you haven't already go onto youtube and search a girl called Thataylaa, she's pale and also suffers/suffered with acne and scaring and loads of her videos are based around trying new pale foundations on her acne scaring etc, I find her reviews of the foundations really helpful so might be worth a watch!

CremeBrulee Thu 30-Nov-17 22:19:27

Fenty soft matte pro-filtr foundation is good for very pale skin. There a huge range of colours and I find the coverage excellent without feeling heavy.

userofthiswebsite Thu 30-Nov-17 22:28:12

To cover lots of redness you are best off with a full coverage foundation unless you use a colour corrector followed by a more lightweight or medium foundation.
As to which one, it depends what you mean by 'pale'. Some of the suggestions on here that people say are pale are much too dark for me.

Here's the foundations I've tried lately:

Doublewear - in 1CO Shell and the new shade 1NO. So much love for double wear, great coverage and doesn't rub off or come away but both these shades much too dark.

Born This Way foundation - medium coverage but even the 'new pale shade' Swan is too dark but more warm toned than most in that shade

Lancome 24H in 008 - medium coverage, not bad I guess

Marc Jacobs Remarkable in 010 Ivory Light - high coverage but too pinky for me

Nars Sheer Glow in Siberia - a properly pale shade which is more warm than cool toned but breaks up on me after some hours.

I have not managed to find another foundation as pale and warm toned as Nars Siberia regrettably.

Hope this helps someone...

SmellyXmasCheese Thu 30-Nov-17 22:34:22

Following.

I find that Bobby Brown concealer works well on the red areas and then I don’t really need a foundation, or at most just a light powder on top. Keen to try some of these other suggestions tho.

CaptainWentworth Fri 01-Dec-17 08:49:43

I am pale with acne scarring, and also have cool/ neutral undertones so the yellower tones that are so popular don’t work on me.

At the moment I am loving L’Oreal Infallible 24 Hr Matte foundation; I have it in Vanilla (11) and Natural Rose (12), the latter being a slightly better match for me- the Vanilla is a tiny bit too pale. I also really like By Terry Cover Expert in Neutral Beige- the colour is perfect for me but it’s pricey and the L’Oreal looks very nearly as good and actually I think lasts slightly longer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: