Talk

Advanced search

£10 make-up gift for teen?

(31 Posts)
dontquotemeondailymail Wed 29-Nov-17 11:44:57

I've got a 'main' Christmas present for my 14yr old niece and want to buy an additional present of around £10. She's obsessed with make up, studies all the YouTube videos and practices for hours, and she's good at it - her make up always looks appropriate (for her age) and stylish - actually I'm quite envious wink

So the additional present should be make-up based. What would you suggest? I was thinking:

MAC voucher
Palette - but what brand, eyes, lips???
Brushes

What would you buy?

Notreallyhappy Wed 29-Nov-17 12:01:41

Mac voucher wouldn't buy anything.😐 look around boots there's plenty of brands there

Ofgreetingsandgoodbyes Wed 29-Nov-17 12:03:30

This palette is great value for £10- and actually really nice quality with a good range of colours:

www.superdrug.com/Makeup-Revolution/Makeup-Revolution-Fortune-Favours-The-Brave-Palette/p/595200

CointreauVersial Wed 29-Nov-17 13:10:30

There are some lovely little Benefit sets around at the moment which I have bought for my nieces.

Palettes under £10 - I agree, Revolution is well-rated and a good price. MUA is another one - both available in Superdrug. Be aware 14yo girls can be very snobby about the brands they will use. Mine is after some Morphe stuff (no, I'd never heard of it either).

Brushes - if she hasn't got decent ones already, you can't go wrong with Real Techniques. Buy on Amazon (cheaper than Boots).

How about some nice make-up storage?

dontquotemeondailymail Wed 29-Nov-17 13:13:56

Notreallyhappy - I suspected as much!

The makeup storage idea is good, might look into that, and the Superdrug range looks good too - thanks everyone

(And a big YES to teen girls being snobby to brands confused)

Cakescakescakes Wed 29-Nov-17 13:15:36

New Look had some great acrylic make up storage when I was in the other day. The kind of transparent sets that you see on blogs etc.

LIZS Wed 29-Nov-17 13:15:36

Saw a nice looking brush set in Superdrug for around £7.99 which was supporting a girls' education charity.

Hairq Wed 29-Nov-17 16:47:58

Sleek palettes are brilliant and only around £8.00. They quality is similar to £30 palettes.

Benefit Rollerlash mini?

This is a bit over budget but a good way of trying a couple of 'cult' products.

IslingtonLou Wed 29-Nov-17 23:52:47

NYX palette or glitters or lip products

RJnomore1 Wed 29-Nov-17 23:54:36

Yes something from NYX

Oswin Wed 29-Nov-17 23:54:53

Make up revolution Soph X pallette. It's so good and very popular.

IslingtonLou Wed 29-Nov-17 23:56:23

Try this as apparently it’s decent:
www.boots.com/nyx-professional-makeup-ultimate-shadow-palette-warm-neutrals-10223103

I have the ultimate brights version and it’s decent for a rainbow palette to add shades to my collection that I don’t necessarily need all the time

WildRosesGrow Wed 29-Nov-17 23:56:41

My 15 year old asked for the palette listed above for a present last birthday. She's asked for any of the Life of the Dancefloor eyeshadow palettes for Christmas, and the Soph X one:
www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/Eye-Makeup/Eye-Shadow/Makeup-Revolution-Soph-X-Eyeshadow-Palette/p/743038

IslingtonLou Wed 29-Nov-17 23:59:00

From Superdrug you can try The Balm highlighter/bronzer, Lottie London rainbow mermaid glow highlighter, Barry M liquid chrome highlighter, Maybelline x Gigi Hadid collection. Haven’t tried any but have seen them mentioned on social media

Judashascomeintosomemoney Thu 30-Nov-17 00:01:14

Benefit, Nyx, Barry M, Urban Decay, Tanya Burr......DD2 (14), Make up queen uses all of those. If you’ve got a points card Boots is a good place to get most of those or Debenhams also good, quick delivery of online orders and you can also sign up to their card if you think you’ll use them again.

IslingtonLou Thu 30-Nov-17 00:01:22

Also sorry for the spam but Morphe is a decent brand! Cheap and cheerful but decent brushes and eyeshadow palettes, would definitely use Morphe over the stuff in boots and Superdrug

lunabear1 Thu 30-Nov-17 00:05:10

Morphe Jaclyn Hill palette. More than £10 but if your niece has a genuine interest and passion for make up don't waste your money buying cheaper brands.

dontquotemeondailymail Thu 30-Nov-17 11:24:37

Brilliant suggestions all, thank you!

Going to town later so will look at a few

Jenni2legs Thu 30-Nov-17 16:15:24

www.boots.com/sleek-makeup-i-divine-eyeshadow-palette-storm-10164660
This gorgeous pallete is £9, but if you spend £12 on the same brand you get a free gift too. Free Boots click and collect.

LemonysSnicket Thu 30-Nov-17 16:38:31

Dont get a lip palette ( no decent one will be £10) can you stretch to £15 and get an URBAN DECay or MAC lipstick? Or the eyeshadow primer potion from UD is incredible.

LemonysSnicket Thu 30-Nov-17 16:39:55

Ooh NYX could work as its new enough to be cool even though its cheap. She wont want sleek, MUR or likewise ...she can buy those herself.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Thu 30-Nov-17 16:42:09

Revolution had an offer in super drug-spend 12 get a palette.

Maverick66 Thu 30-Nov-17 16:43:18

Kiko Milano is a brilliant brand for make up fashionistas.

inappropriateraspberry Thu 30-Nov-17 16:48:15

Avon have some nice little gift sets at the mo. You can order online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now