Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help! Jeans for seemingly tall giantess-freak!

(22 Posts)
DontBuyANewMumCashmere Wed 29-Nov-17 11:28:50

I am 6'. I am anywhere between 12 and a 16 but for jeans more 14-16.
I'm honestly not a freak but throughout my life the difficulty I have getting jeans to fit me is bonkers.

I used to wear Gap long length bootcut jeans which were perfect for me but they've changed the style recently and I don't like them now. Plus they never have my size in the store and the website doesn't have the same codes or sizes as I want?

I had a pair of Levis but the code on my jeans doesn't correlate to the website.

Next jeans long length aren't long enough.
Long Tall Sally is too long.

I went in three shops yesterday including a Debenhams with loads of fucking jeans - but none that would fit me. They're all fucking Regular or Short length - I haven't seen a L in store for ages! Sorry I saw one pair of 28L in gap yesterday hmm

I don't really fancy buying loads on Web and trying them all on sending them all back but I'd rather do this than schlep about shops getting all flustered and disheartened.

If you're 6' and have found perfect fitting jeans please put me out of my misery and tell me where from?
I must be getting something wrong as these shops obviously haven't stopped making jeans for women my size!

(PS I can't wear skinny jeans as I'm pretty hip-py. Would wear baggy type boyfriend jeans but would prefer bootcut.)

10thingsIhateAboutTheDailyMail Wed 29-Nov-17 11:37:42

I hear you! I used to love Gap, but not bought for years.

Am 6ft, size 14, with quite a curvy shape (wide hips)

I now buy all my jeans from Dorothy Perkins Tall range. www.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/category/clothing-203535/jeans-203564/tall/N-i2hZ10feZc1y?Nrpp=20&siteId=%2F12552&No=0

I order about 10 pairs, try them on at home, and return the ones that don't fit. they usually offer free delivery and free returns, so this works for me.

These are a very good fit IMO, and very "slimming" too: www.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/clothing-203535/jeans-203564/tall-black-frankie-jeggings-5721603?bi=20&ps=20

Their quality varies, and sometimes one year a certain model is great, the next year the fabric is thinner. It's hit and miss but worth a try IMO

Good luck!

10thingsIhateAboutTheDailyMail Wed 29-Nov-17 11:38:38

FWIW< I think good skinnies (like the ones I linked) can really work for curvy shapes. I wear them, anyway....

CactusCactusCactus Wed 29-Nov-17 11:46:38

Same height and shape, second Dorothy Perkins. Sometimes turn up Long Tall Sally. Sometimes Sainsburys are long enough if wearing as turn ups.

spreadinggirth Wed 29-Nov-17 11:56:14

What inside leg are you?

RoganJosh Wed 29-Nov-17 11:58:05

Isn’t there an extra l in some Next jeans?

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Wed 29-Nov-17 20:21:44

OMG of course Dotty Ps used to live there about 10 years ago. Didn't even think of them.
Thank you so much!!

Sainsburys good idea, I seem to go through jeans in the knees pretty quickly - SAHM, changing nappies and playing on floor? Don't know how I'm doing it... nothing interesting anyway! I am hoping Sainsbos will be on the cheaper side (= good!)

spreading I wear 32 34s but they're not quite as long as I'd like. Perhaps I'd like to try a 35! [difficult]

Yeah I tried the Next ones and I wasn't really happy with them either.

Honestly I sound like a right fusspot. I feel like that episode of Miranda where she goes to 'Big n Tall' and comes out looking like a tranny. That is basically me.

Thanks again all. :-)

MustRememberTheLInFingerling Wed 29-Nov-17 20:23:40

I’m only 5ft10 but have some New Look jeans I have to roll up so they may be worth a look - online only again though.

MustRememberTheLInFingerling Wed 29-Nov-17 20:25:09

Oh and I’m bigger than you - Hour glass 18/20 and wear the high rise skinnies. They are the only jeans open that don’t need a belt to stay up grin

spreadinggirth Wed 29-Nov-17 21:08:46

I'm a 35" too Don't and struggle with length too.
My favourite pair were Tommy Hilfiger, they were described at 34" but were longer. They were straight rather than skinny, bought from HoF but the style isn't in stock there any more.

MilfordFound Thu 30-Nov-17 06:22:28

I'm 6ft 14-16. Just got some great jeans from asos.com (they're maternity, but presumably their normal ones are just as good).
I've had jeans from m&s in the past that I've liked. And gap, but that was a long time ago. New look used to do a good tall range but it's gone downhill a bit.

southchinasea Thu 30-Nov-17 06:42:40

I've found crew clothing Co do good long length jeans, also Levi (can try on different styles in John Lewis) and Boden.

Passthecake30 Thu 30-Nov-17 06:52:36

I'm 6ft and wear long tall Sally skinny jeans in a 36". They also do a 34 in some I think?

BlueGoats Thu 30-Nov-17 07:07:40

Next or Gap sometimes work for me, but only Levis are reliably a good fit.

If there's not a Levis shop near you can you call them for help on deciphering the code on your existing jeans or fitting to your measurements?

Passthecake30 Thu 30-Nov-17 07:08:34

Ah, just reread and you weren't after skinny jeans. My LTS Camden skinnies aren't skin tight at all, they are pretty loose imo maybe I have stick legs?

BillywilliamV Thu 30-Nov-17 07:09:50

LTS are doing some 32" now I think.

LoniceraJaponica Thu 30-Nov-17 07:10:52

DD wears 34 in leg jeans from Top Shop.

RussellTheLoveMuscle Thu 30-Nov-17 07:14:36

Mantaray in Debenhams do 34" but have to buy online hmm

DeliveredByKiki Thu 30-Nov-17 07:17:54

I buy 34" from levis and topshop

talllikejerryhall Thu 30-Nov-17 07:25:18

Asos do an excellent tall range and top shop are good too!

Hareinthewoods Thu 30-Nov-17 07:48:37

It's so difficult finding decent bootcut jeans nowadays! I agree with Dotty P tall. Joe Browns (online only) are worth a look too, the best jeans I have ever had. They are not cheap but I found them very long lasting, I have also picked up a few pairs on eBay over the years.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Thu 30-Nov-17 08:47:39

Excellent suggestions all - thank you so much.
Good to know I'm not the only freak out there wink grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: