Talk

Advanced search

Prague in January, what to pack?

(18 Posts)
justaweeone Tue 28-Nov-17 18:34:47

Joining to Prague in January for 3 nights, hand luggage only. just looked at weather and it's going to be very cold!!
Ideas of what to pack and what cost and boots would be best.
Hate bulky jackets or anything woollen or itchy confused

Polichinelle Wed 29-Nov-17 17:52:24

Thermo layers

Tiedie Wed 29-Nov-17 18:06:57

What's the warmest you have? Pack that! Doesn't need to be wool, but thermal and layers. Have you got warm boots and socks? Cold feet always make the rest of me freeze. And a hat and scarf. Sorry, I'll stop there, I'm beginning to sound like my mother!

SilverHawk Wed 29-Nov-17 18:36:47

WRT packing, probably just your undies, make up and a few changes of top, you'll be wearing everything else!
So grab your warmest coat, scarf, hat and gloves. Then for your feet walking boots or something else with a good grip and thermal socks. (Lots of cobbles)
Most coats seemed to be the puffa/down type, lots of black. Thin people had them belted grin

Leggings or fleece tights to wear under your trousers. Warm, waterproof, flat boots.

SukiTheDog Wed 29-Nov-17 20:09:19

Thermals and layers. Gloves/hat. Comfy footwear (cobbles). A brolly. Sunglasses.

Fantastic place. Enjoy!

Littlelondoner Wed 29-Nov-17 20:17:57

Following this with interest. Im off there 1st week in feb.

I have some merino base layers amd canada goose coat so far.....we shall see what I add to it.

I always struggle to be cool stylish and warm.....

justaweeone Wed 29-Nov-17 20:50:46

Thanks all
Is it that cold!🤦‍♀️
Actually don't mind the cold but hate bulky stuff so will layer

Littlelondoner Wed 29-Nov-17 21:20:47

When I looked it said adverage of -2 too -5 degrees....eeek 🤤😨

Methenyouplus4 Wed 29-Nov-17 21:58:48

Defo fleece lined tights-were a revelation when watching eldest play rugby for hours on freezing pitch. Wear under jeans etc and you can always take off and stick quite compactly in your bag if you go to warm restaurant etc.

brogueish Thu 30-Nov-17 11:29:34

I was there in Feb a few years ago and it was utterly freezing, lots of snow around. Wrap up warm! Great city though, would love to go back at some point.

PNGirl Thu 30-Nov-17 11:40:25

I would raid the Uniqlo Heattech section!

here

The tops are very soft.

Then maybe a down jacket? Or a parka?

We were there in December a few years ago. Lowest recorded temperature whilst we were there was -12. I recommend plenty of hot chocolate stops!

jelliedeel Thu 30-Nov-17 21:17:10

Snow boots...the short,practical, insulated type, for keeping your feet warm and dry.
Gloves with proper linings or double layered and a hat with a proper fleece layer inside it so the wind doesn't whip through it.

Polichinelle Thu 30-Nov-17 21:19:49

My last visit there was Easter a couple of years ago. I had at least 4 layers, long coat, hat, etc. I look freezing in every picture

Tortadellanonna Thu 30-Nov-17 21:20:17

It doesn’t feel as cold as it is. Layers, merino wool is good, sealing the layers by tucking in, proper hat.

jelliedeel Thu 30-Nov-17 21:27:27

I second the Uniqlo heattech stuff too...ultra warm tights for under trousers and the layering tops.

Korez Thu 30-Nov-17 21:31:17

I've been before in February when snow is on the ground, it was cold but not as expected... it was snowing in the UK at the time, which felt much colder due to wind chill... so was quite comfortable over there with what I was wearing on a cold day here in the UK. Top tip... ensure you validate tram tickets (couldn't get to one due to a busy tram and ended up with a fine angry)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now