Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Talk to me about sequin skirts...

(33 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Fri 24-Nov-17 21:41:38

...do's? Don'ts? Yay? Nay? What do you pair it with, something very simple?

Tempnamelady Fri 24-Nov-17 21:52:00

I’ve had my eye on one was thinking with black cashmere jumper ?

BeastOfCraggyIsland Fri 24-Nov-17 21:54:28

I have one, I don't wear it often but I really like it. It's a black and silver miniskirt and I wear it with black opaques, ankle boots or trainers (Converse or Stan Smiths) and usually a cashmere jumper on the top half or a simple black top. I'm really not a cutting edge trendy dresser though so that may be entirely the wrong way to style it but I like it grin

Judydreamsofhorses Fri 24-Nov-17 22:04:16

I have two - one very short black and gold one, from Topshop, and another just below the knee, gold and silver, from H&M. I wear them with a very plain black top - polo neck jumper, or crew neck jumper - black opaques and black Stan Smith trainers. I think the trick (for me) is to keep everything else pretty pared back and casual.

keeponkeepinon Sat 25-Nov-17 10:41:43

I quite fancy one but unsure if I'd feel a bit overdone in it. Should they be restricted to the small of rear? grin

keeponkeepinon Sat 25-Nov-17 10:51:21

I can't imagine wearing it with anything other than black opaques and a quite plain black jumper. On searching I've found people wearing them with checked shirts but I don't think I could pull that off!

AmeliaFlashtart Sat 25-Nov-17 11:12:58

Love seeing a silver one with a sloppy pale grey jumper.

Slaymill Sat 25-Nov-17 11:22:23

I've just purchased a dark purple one with a purple jumper with a slight trim around the collar. Will pair with opaques and black boots.

keeponkeepinon Sat 25-Nov-17 11:39:30

Ooo. where did you find your purple one?

zippyswife Sat 25-Nov-17 13:47:51

I wear my black short one with a plain black crew neck black opaques and biker boots or pistol boots. Could I get away with black leather converse and black opaques or am i way too old for that (40!)?

zippyswife Sat 25-Nov-17 13:48:17

... mine was a pound from eBay!

Notsooriginalwerther Sat 25-Nov-17 13:54:06

Sequin skirts look great with a black or white jumper/polo neck and tights and Chelsea boots! zippyswife you can definately pull that outfit off with a pair of black leather converse, they’ll make the outfit super casual, practical but also glam, you could also incorporate a short leather jacket. 40 is not too old at all so wear whatever you want! smile

ScreamingValenta Sat 25-Nov-17 14:01:39

I have a couple of All Saints ones (eBay bargains!) and wear them with a black t-shirt, black opaques and black leather jacket. I'm in my 40s too!

TossDaily Sat 25-Nov-17 14:05:19

I want one.

Can anyone find any links to nice ones?

CountFosco Sat 25-Nov-17 14:14:00

I wear my rose gold sequinned mini with purple DMs, purple wooly tights, and a purple jumper. I'm 46.

I got mine from ASOS

ScreamingValenta Sat 25-Nov-17 14:21:59

Count That sounds great - I'd never thought of teaming with purple but I'm going to experiment.

andadietcoke Sat 25-Nov-17 14:26:17

I have this one: http://www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-skirts/below-knee-skirts/t0057/womens-drapey-sequin-skirt

I'm not incredibly sure what to put with it yet. The top they have with it is out of stock for 6 weeks.

keeponkeepinon Sat 25-Nov-17 14:37:34

this purple one is beaut

this asda one is a bargain and comes in black and red too

TossDaily Sat 25-Nov-17 14:52:05

Some lovely ones there, but they're all sold out in my size!

TossDaily Sat 25-Nov-17 15:39:51

I just ordered one from Zara...such a sheep...

Bridechilla Sat 25-Nov-17 18:41:21

Love them, had earmarked one for the Christmas party. I've tried heaps, they just don't seem to suit me. Too clingy and seemingly not for those who're ample of tharse (thigh-arse).

CountFosco Sat 25-Nov-17 19:22:05

Too clingy and seemingly not for those who're ample of tharse (thigh-arse).

If you look on ASOS they have a gorgeous plus size sequinned skirt and the model looks hot. I think a sequin skirt is a great way to draw attention to your curvy shape. Fashion is not just for the skinny.

keeponkeepinon Sat 25-Nov-17 19:52:55

That oasis one is actually quite a line bride as I don't want it too clingy either. Or they have a more subtle popcorn skirt in a similar a line shape with a little gold and the tiniest bit of sparkle.

SpoonfulOfJam Sat 25-Nov-17 20:36:23

I wore one last night- it's my Christmas party outfit which I will be wearing twice more.

Black mini skirt from primark. With black turtleneck, I think you'd call it. Thick black tights. Wore black trainers last night, will be ankle boots next time. A multi strand necklace with black beads. Bright red lipstick.

Loved it. Can't wait to wear it again.

SpoonfulOfJam Sat 25-Nov-17 20:38:22

Leather jacket and chunky black scarf

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: