Talk

Advanced search

SErum instead of moisturiser?

(20 Posts)
Paintbox Tue 21-Nov-17 21:36:52

If I do this am I committing a skincare sin? I’ve used moisturiser all my life but recently started using serum. The thought occurred to me other day that my make up might stay on better if I just used serum instead of moisturiser rather than as well as. It worked ok but I’m wondering if I continue to do this will my skin suffer? I’m the opposite of a skincare expert and I find it all a bit baffling so any advice appreciated

LordEmsworth Wed 22-Nov-17 06:42:35

I use serum and moisturiser - I couldn't use serum alone as my skin wouldn't feel comfortable without the moisturiser. (I do sometimes only use moisturiser).

Do you have a problem with make up coming off? I would be looking for a lighter moisturiser rather than skipping it altogether...

SavoyCabbage Wed 22-Nov-17 06:51:11

Maybe try a primer after your moisturiser. That’s what keeps your make up from sliding off your face. Well, it does for me anyway!

AmeliaFlashtart Wed 22-Nov-17 06:55:14

I use just one or the other. The industry encourages us to use as many product as possible because we buy more, use more, buy again. Double cleansing, different creams for day/night, layering serum and moisturiser, different creams for eyes/necks/boobs/legs/hands/feet? Hmmm!

Floisme Wed 22-Nov-17 07:25:09

No-one has ever managed to explain to me exactly what a serum does. They normally use words like 'molecules' and 'targeting' but they never convey what these molecules do when they hit their target.

So I turn to adverts instead. These normally tell me a serum 'minimises the appearance of wrinkles', which is strange because I always thought that was what a moisturiser did.

I agree with Amelia. I think the industry's reached a point where it can't keep on putting up its prices so instead it's trying to sell us more stuff. They want us to be baffled.

RoganJosh Wed 22-Nov-17 07:27:22

I was sent a free serum sample (from Nip and Fab) and I’m finding it’s working well instead of moisturiser.

Auspiciouspanda Wed 22-Nov-17 07:36:04

Apparently the molecules are smaller so whatever active ingredient is in it can go deeper into your skin then a moisturiser.

I dropped mine from my routine and it hasn't really made any visible difference.

Floisme Wed 22-Nov-17 07:45:28

Yes but what do they actually do when they get into my skin?

missfliss Wed 22-Nov-17 11:04:01

Serums tend to be more concentrated on active ingredients and use carrier solutions that penetrate further into the dermis. Moisturisers jobs are principally to create a barrier to trap and add moisture to the skin, and may have additional active ingredients too - but the effect will be diluted by the moisturising ingredients.
Serums can do a number of things depending on their principle ingredient. I use The Ordinary range of serums as they are high in well tested actives, and super reasonably priced.

I use a mixture of serums on different days. In the mornings I use hylauronic acid to plump up my skin before I use a factor 50 moisturiser on top. In the evenings I use either a retinoid serum ( wrinkle action) or niacinamide + zinc ( spots and skin tone) - once a week I'll use a lactic acid serum to exfoliate

Paintbox Wed 22-Nov-17 11:39:36

Thanks all. I do use a primer but my make up never looks perfect hours into the day.
I don’t know about all this skincare stuff. I would have to spend a complete fortune trying all these things to see which worked for me, acid toners, serums, oils, and the list goes on. I can’t really afford to get into it although I’m always tempted when I see people recommending things on her. Maybe it is a marketing ploy, I don’t know. At least no one has said my face will fall off if I stop using moisturiser and use serum instead! It feels ok so far. Thanks

Dustbunny1900 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:05:34

Serums aren’t occlusive, they won’t trap moisture into your skin. Far as I can see they’re water-based with some nice sounding ingredients, but if you’re going to use just one, use a moisturizer

RiskIt4Biscuit Wed 22-Nov-17 15:31:45

I used a moisturising serum instead of moisturiser for a long while. It was perfectly fine for my quite oily skin which would break out when using moisturisers.

In my opinion, this idea that we have to use moisturiser and serum - and if it doesn't work, then pile more products on top, is a matter of marketing, sales tactics and self-proclaimed experts coming up with rules on how to get the perfect skin, making long lists of products they are selling/paid to promote/sent for free for advertising purposes.
It should be far more about finding products that work for you. If you prefer using a moisturising serum instead of a moisturiser, then do that.
If your skin feels and looks better during the day, then surely that's proof that it's working for you.

FiddlesticksRiddlesticks Wed 22-Nov-17 15:49:51

I've used. Serum for years and would never go back to a moisturiser. I do only use 100% natural ones. They are anhydrous, I.e. Contain no water, just the oils. So you are getting so much nicer ingredients for your skin as moisturisers contain water, and therefore preservatives (often though not always parabens) and these are not ideal for skin.

I used to use Balm Balms Rosehip serum. and I've used others, from smaller less commercial skincare makers. I'm now using a concoction of my own having bought a small selection of oils from a soap making site, mixed together, and put into a small bottle that I got from Superdrug, I didn't bither with any essential oils as I don't know eniugh about them but the mixture works well.

I don't do in for claims like reduces wrinkles, etc. I just want smooth hydrated skin and find that 100% natural works well for me. It also acts as a good primer for foundation

I also make my own cleanser. . At the start of the year I buy 250ml of sweet almond oil, 100ml of castor oil and 250ml of borage oil. Roughly half of each gets mixed in a nice brown pump bottle, and the whole lot lasts me the whole year. Soooo much cheaper than shop bought and my I don't get dry skin any more.

Paintbox Wed 22-Nov-17 15:58:52

Wow fiddlesticks that’s really interesting. I’m always really instructed when people say they can make their own beauty products but I’ve never really investigated it enough to do it myself. I might have a go now!

Paintbox Wed 22-Nov-17 16:05:42

I meant I’m interested, not instructed!

Delatron Wed 22-Nov-17 16:12:29

I've read (think it was Nadine Baggot) that you should invest in serum as they have more active ingredients that pentrate the skin then moisturiser is less important so you can use a cheap one or just spf.

This is backed up by my dermatologist who has me on powerful serums morning and night and then an SPF cream rather than moisturiser in the day. Skin looks good!

FiddlesticksRiddlesticks Wed 22-Nov-17 16:28:51

Paintbox - I used to have a book by Karen Gilbert that had recipes for homemade beauty products. The only one I really made was the lip balms but the pictures were stunning.

The SPF is a good point. I'm allergic to an ingredient in some sun tan lotions. I don't know which one but I avoid them all now because if I get a reaction it is horrible. So while My serum doesn't have an SPF, my foundation does. it's only factor 15 I think but that, a big hat and just avoiding the sun helps. But yes, spf's are important in helping skin age better.

TheBeastOfRoystonVasey Wed 22-Nov-17 16:30:37

And theres me , who just cannot be bothered and dont really use anything and my skin is good for age, 47, i do cleanse well with a cream cleanser at night, and use a micellar water in the morning but i dont use moisturiser or serum, maybe once a month i will make an effort and slap some Simple on, but mostly dont bother. I do drink a lot of water and dont smoke. I am not too skinny either so face is plumped up but i am on HRT so that probably helps,grin DH told me i had lovely smooth skin, bless him

I dont think our skin needs all these products, it can manage itself, thats its function

HotDamnState Wed 22-Nov-17 17:01:22

I use a richer night cream at night and just a serum and then sunscreen over the top in the morning.

I personally don't feel the need for moisturiser for my skin in between these two stages.

ImperfectTents Wed 22-Nov-17 17:38:50

I have noticed a huge difference since using the nip and fab one. It has just run out so I am trying the cheapy super drug version

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now