Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Today I picked my Invisalign braces

(78 Posts)
sortingmyselfoutslowly Mon 20-Nov-17 16:37:11

Updating as a few users were considering getting them. They feel a bit weird but I can talk fine. No pain just slight pressure. I have to wear them 22 hours a day and take them off to eat and drink. DS age 4 couldn't tell I have them in, DD age 7 only when looking very carefully! I have 5 sets of trays to change myself at home every 2 weeks so don't need to go back to the orthodontist for 10 weeks. Looking forward to the results already!

sortingmyselfoutslowly Mon 20-Nov-17 16:38:18

Should have said picked up

Braceface Mon 20-Nov-17 16:38:28

Having had proper metal train track braces now for over 18 months I'm very jealous!!!

sortingmyselfoutslowly Mon 20-Nov-17 16:43:40

How come you've had them so long braceface? I thought fixed braces were the quicker option? They wouldn't work for me as I need all my teeth to push out from the jaw - they've collapsed in over time.

inappropriateraspberry Mon 20-Nov-17 16:46:25

I had train tracks for 2 years! It probably depends on what state your teeth are in to begin with

Maudlinmaud Mon 20-Nov-17 16:48:02

My dentist says my roots are too short to have braces again, I wore them as a teen but my teeth moved again sad. I would absolutely love to have them, delighted for you op.

TimFromRuislip Mon 20-Nov-17 16:50:04

How much is it OP? What happens after the 10 weeks, do you need more?

sortingmyselfoutslowly Mon 20-Nov-17 16:56:53

All in all 3400 including all aligner trays, scans, x rays, lifetime retainers, aftercare and phone support. Eg I rang them today asking can I drink lemonade through a straw... answer was no! I have 18 months worth of trays but they just give you a few at a time to change yourself every 2 weeks, they come in little packets marked with the weeks on them. After 10 weeks the orthodontist will check my progress send give me more trays.

sortingmyselfoutslowly Mon 20-Nov-17 16:58:25

Oh no Maudlinmaud. That's why I had a x ray I think, to check the roots before going ahead.

TimFromRuislip Mon 20-Nov-17 17:34:06

Interesting, thanks sorting. A bit out of my budget atm, but maybe one day! I hope it all goes well.

Braceface Mon 20-Nov-17 17:42:10

I'm having a jaw operation. Teeth have been ready for a few months but it's on NHS so 3 months to go still!!

Imfinehowareyou Mon 20-Nov-17 17:50:31

Are you able to pay in installments?

Braceface Mon 20-Nov-17 17:52:29

How are they feeling OP?

sortingmyselfoutslowly Mon 20-Nov-17 17:56:07

You can pay in installments on 0% finance but I've been saving for ages so I paid in full, got 7% discount.
They feel snug and there is pressure on my teeth but it's not uncomfortable or painful at all. I'm a wimp!
Already my snacking habits are changing. I decided it was too much hassle to take them out and rinse out my mouth after, when I would normally nibble in the kitchen or 'test' DCS dinner. So weight loss might be a side effect too!

fluffyhamster Mon 20-Nov-17 17:56:57

Did you have the little 'invisible' lumps/hooks put on your teeth so they apply pressure in the right places?
I was a bit shock about this when I got my invisaligns as I hadn't expected it and they made my teeth look awful when 'sans invisalign'.

I am on no. 10 of 14 now - may be finished by Christmas - yay!

sortingmyselfoutslowly Mon 20-Nov-17 17:57:03

Braceface all the best for your operation flowers

sortingmyselfoutslowly Mon 20-Nov-17 17:58:20

Also I can't sit sipping wine all evening as that would mean taking them out for too long... this will be a healthy few months methinks!

sortingmyselfoutslowly Mon 20-Nov-17 18:00:56

Fluffyhamster I haven't had any attachments put on yet no, as my orthodontist wants to open up the jaw first due to overcrowding then decide where to put them. I hear they are a bit of a pain so I'm lucky to escape that for the moment. How are you finding it?

Braceface Mon 20-Nov-17 18:08:35

Thank you smile
You will lose weight. I did. Have put it back now on though! But I don't take mine off for eating so that might be the key difference.
How long have you got them for?

sortingmyselfoutslowly Mon 20-Nov-17 18:10:28

18 months but it may change if ortho wants to tweak the plan. Watching the animation of my awful crooked teeth to lovely straight ones on the screen made me cry!

Oblomov17 Mon 20-Nov-17 18:18:33

£3400 is too much for me. What is the cheapest option? Or how do I find out what the cheaoest option is?

sortingmyselfoutslowly Mon 20-Nov-17 19:24:37

It's worth booking a few no obligation consultations to compare prices. Finest Dental is cheaper. I went for a leader in Orthodontics as I have a complex case... my guy is an award winner. You can do it on finance at 0% at most practices.

Braceface Mon 20-Nov-17 20:43:06

My teeth are really straight now. It's amazing!

Webmaster786 Tue 21-Nov-17 08:49:12

I use a great product called orthokey. I have tried both the outie tool and the art and they were not that effective!

sortingmyselfoutslowly Tue 21-Nov-17 10:58:00

First world problem but my shellac is chipping when I pull the invisalign out! Argh.
I slept all night with them in last night no problem. Felt a bit achy this morning but ibuprofen sorted it out. Day 2 is meant to be the worst.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: