Talk

Advanced search

Cashmere jumper/top

(35 Posts)
CuteKinn Mon 20-Nov-17 11:38:44

Hi,

I have been looking to get a cashmere jumper/top, and was wondering how well they wash? And which is the best place to get one? The cheaper in price the better for me.

Anymajordude Mon 20-Nov-17 12:02:20

You should be able to wash at 30°. Use a Cashmere wash or a silk and wool wash. You don't have to wash them very often, better not to. Tesco and Uniqlo do reasonably priced Cashmere.

I work in a Cashmere shop btw.

AprilLady Mon 20-Nov-17 15:48:21

Pure cashmere is not cheap, but they are doing 25% off everything this week so very worth looking at. I have found their quality fantastic as long as you do a gentle wash with an appropriate product.

CuteKinn Mon 20-Nov-17 16:38:59

@AprilLady Thanks! Who is doing 25% off?

MaybeDoctor Mon 20-Nov-17 16:41:33

There is a retailer called 'Pure'.

Also, look on eBay for Brora.

Butterfly1975 Mon 20-Nov-17 16:46:35

TK Maxx currently have lots of cashmere jumpers. Some Pure range ones too. Definitely worth a look if you have one locally?

I machine washed my Pure cashmere jumper and ruined it but that could be partly because my washing machine is shite wink

gingerclementine Mon 20-Nov-17 16:48:22

I have loads of cashmere as it's the only wool that doesn't irritate my skin. I wash it on the 15 mins cycle at 30 degrees with a delicates liquid and then cold tumble it or flat dry it. Ime the best quality is Jaeger, but M&S isn't bad. Not tried Brora or Pure though I noticed they're doing a few mixes now and really 100% cashmere is what you want, to get that full effect of being wrapped in kittens.

PenelopePear Mon 20-Nov-17 17:24:30

Take care with washing it in the machine as you can get the dreaded ‘felting.’ That said, I wash my Hush cashmere on a 30 degree, 15 minute fast wash and it comes out fine

I have John Lewis, Brora, M and S, and Hush cashmere and I’d say that JL and Marks is probably the best value as I buy with a discount. I get my Hush cashmere in the sample sales that they do every year.

CountFosco Mon 20-Nov-17 19:53:08

Boden cashmere is machine washable, lots of other brands say they aren't but I'd risk all wool on a low temp wool wash.

eloisesparkle Mon 20-Nov-17 20:04:33

Pure bobbles very quickly

FinallyHere Mon 20-Nov-17 20:13:27

Loving this scooped neck cashmere from Winser London in the sale

whirlygirly Mon 20-Nov-17 20:40:48

Size up if in doubt. I've never managed not to shrink anything. Now I buy two sizes too big to start with.

CuteKinn Mon 20-Nov-17 20:56:26

How is cashmere with wool jumpers from jaegar? There's one on sale blush

laramara Mon 20-Nov-17 21:11:47

Cashmere blended with wool has a tendency to bobble, so not really a great idea, definitely try TK Maxx for good quality cashmere and Uniqlo is worth a look also.

tootruetoyou Mon 20-Nov-17 22:02:47

I live in Scotland where the water is very soft and I have always washed my cashmere jumpers in the machine on a wool cycle. Never had a problem.

Scottish cashmere is the best - rather than stuff from China - but it is more expensive. I see it as an investment because they keep for years if looked after. Also, cashmere is so light but still warm so it is not bulky/itchy etc like other wools.

CuteKinn Mon 20-Nov-17 22:04:13

Lara, I will look in Tkmaxx

Tootrue, how will I know if it is Scottish cashmere?

Piffpaffpoff Mon 20-Nov-17 22:13:27

Oh you are all tempting me!! I wrote on another thread today that I had finally stopped in at a cashmere mill factory shop near me (in Scotland - so safe to assume its Scottish cashmere tootrue?) after 13yrs of thinking ‘I should really go in there for a look’ every time I drove by! Anyway, was too scared to buy anything because I thought I’d ruin it at first wash but you are all giving me confidence! They had some lovely wraps and drapey poncho things that I fancied. I think I will go back for another look now!

jenandjess Mon 20-Nov-17 22:21:52

Jaegar wool/cashmere jumpers are fantastic. I have two and they have worn well with little piling. 100% casmere from Pure and Boden are nice - soft cashmere, really warm and wash well. It’s worth paying a bit more for a jumper which you will get many winters out of.

gingerclementine Tue 21-Nov-17 09:12:05

Cute - Jaeger cashmere is the best. Mine hasn't bobbled or aged at all and they are all about five years old. (Need more now. Off to look at sale!)

CuteKinn Tue 21-Nov-17 10:56:42

Thank you!

Just saw thus lovely one at Jaegar but oos on my size. It's available in XL and 75% off!

tootruetoyou Tue 21-Nov-17 10:57:31

You cannot guarantee it is from Scotland but it normally says made in Scotland or made in China. I always buy Scottish. Lasts longer and is nicer.

Fozzleyplum Tue 21-Nov-17 11:10:15

I wear cashmere pretty much every day from October through to about March. The secret to good cashmere is to find a brand which has a long staple (long individual fibres) because that is softer, and improves with age.

My favourite is Brora, which I usually buy in the sale, or Johnstons of Elgin, who actually make for Brora. A good alternative, which is much cheaper, is Pure Collection. I've had a few good finds in M&S too.

I have never risked machine washing cashmere as it can felt. You don't really need to wash it each time it's worn anyway; I wash mine in the sink in tepid water with a bit of ordinary hair shampoo. I rinse it well in cold water and then give it a spin in the washing machine. By that stage it is almost dry so I leave it over the banister for a short while before giving it a quick iron.

carrie74 Tue 21-Nov-17 11:33:53

I have quite a few cashmere jumpers. JL is consistently good with little pilling, and a good High St price. Gap used to be brilliant but they must have changed their cashmere suppliers, as now pill like crazy. TK Maxx has some fantastic bargains. Jaegar wool/cashmere mix not very soft IME. Never been able to afford Brora jumpers (and also the colours are a bit wishy washy for my colouring), but have gloves which are the best.

trainedopossum Tue 21-Nov-17 11:59:03

Imo vintage cashmere does not bobble (or in rare cases it will be already visible). As pp said longer fibres are better. The cheaper the cashmere the shorter the fibres and the worse the bobbling issue (but that doesn't mean you won't get bobbling on a very expensive jumper).

RiojaHaze Tue 21-Nov-17 12:06:53

I've got 2 wyse jumpers and they've bobbled really badly and very fast; and have developed holes in bizarre places too.

Is this quite normal for cashmere or just a sign of not great quality? I've looked after them as stated in their instructions and mentioned in the post.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: