Talk

Advanced search

Stylish but supportive trainers/casual shoes

(15 Posts)
Squigglypig Sun 19-Nov-17 17:08:42

Help me! I am 7 months pregnant and have done something to one foot that is causing lots of pain in the arch (think from carrying a heavy rucksack), then today I've stubbed my little toe so badly I can't put shoes on. I don't normally wear trainers but think I need to get something with proper arch support and enough room for my toe. Sensible but stylish, if it exists please!

LizzieMacQueen Sun 19-Nov-17 17:10:45

Sounds like you might have plantar fasciitis - have a look at sketchers & fitflops (or even Clarks).

Squigglypig Sun 19-Nov-17 17:20:33

Thank you, are fit flops shoes as well these days? Also are sketchers better than average trainers?

LizzieMacQueen Sun 19-Nov-17 18:18:51

Sketchers are lighter and some I think are slip on which you may find easier as your baby bump grows.

I’m going to have a look at fit flip in a moment. You may be right, it may be summer sandals only.

Rapunzel88 Sun 19-Nov-17 18:26:46

My orthopaedic surgeon recommended www.vionic.co.uk for my poor aching bunion feet! Pricey, but will definitely give you proper support.

LizzieMacQueen Sun 19-Nov-17 18:30:16

I’ve had a look and fitflop do have trainers but they’re not very stylish.

Notquitewhatimeant Sun 19-Nov-17 18:30:50

Adidas ultraboost. I have plantar fasciitis and I've found them quite good.

Rapunzel88 Sun 19-Nov-17 18:31:58

sorry www.vionicshoes.co.uk

W1a Sun 19-Nov-17 18:32:59

Supergra?

CountFosco Sun 19-Nov-17 18:34:29

I've got Fitflop loafers which I wear to work lots. Buy online to get the discount but they have some in HoF as well if you want to look before you buy.

FWIW my most comfortable trainers are my Stan Smiths. Vans get a lot of love on here as well. Neither are specifically orthopaedic though.

Bummybum Sun 19-Nov-17 18:35:09

Superga have no arch support. Although they are good for some foot injuries as they are quite rigid. My orthopaedic surgeon told me to wear them with super feet inserts.

TooManyWIPs Sun 19-Nov-17 18:35:26

Yep could be plantar fascilitis, second the sketchers go walks and vionics (vionics are v expensive though). In meantime ice a red bull size can and roll it under your foot. Also stand on bottom step with heels hanging off edge and flex feet. These are the exercises I do to ease the pain.
You could also get supportive orthotics from Boots (but don't put them in the sketchers if you get them as you'll wreak the sketchers)

Squigglypig Sun 19-Nov-17 19:12:50

Thank you all. Think I'm going to find the nearest place that stocks sketchers in my lunch hour. Still have to get to work tomorrow (London commute into city), so will have to suck it up for then but will just use more buses than normal. Good shout for slip ons!

ollivanderswand Sun 19-Nov-17 19:47:18

Found Skechers have way too little arch support for my plantar fasciitis. Get these (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orthotic-supports-metatarsal-fasciitis-treatment/dp/6040791608/ref=brlff_mny87jjuoka4k4xww_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=shoes) on Amazon and put them in whatever shoes you have, and wear Birkenstocks around the house.

TooManyWIPs Sun 19-Nov-17 22:05:27

Are you desk based? If so you might need to get an assessment done on desk & chair that the proportions are correct for you. I got my plantar fascilitis due to injurying foot trying to get in comfortable sitting position at my desk (long hours at weird height desk & inappropriate sized chair with crap foot support.) Work had to get me a special tilting foot rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now