Talk

Advanced search

I am going "Out" out.....

(169 Posts)
CurlyPJ Wed 15-Nov-17 16:26:06

And I need a top!

Actually I am going "out" (friend's 40th at a bar) and then "out" (out with group of us at a Prosecco and Pizza night) and then DH is taking me "out" to a very nice restaurant.

So 3 events. Wardrobe options looking dull. I am a jeans and jumper person. Want to go a bit more glam. Please will you help me?

Am size 10 (proper size 10 not vanity 10) and fairly toned. Will consider skimming/fitted stuff as not feeling muffin-topped/love-handled at the moment. I do have wide shoulders and biggish boobs though so high necks look awful - look much better with a scoop/v-neck look. Also the big boxy stuff kicking around a few months back does nothing for me.

Colour wise I have blue eyes, pale pinky skin and grey sparkly curls (see here: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/3083440-Ive-found-a-curly-hair-hairdresser

These days bright colours seem to suit me best - cerise, purple, red, Hush's "radiance" turquoise here

I look shit in anything with orangy/warm tones.

I cannot remember the last time I went out not wearing a jumper or t-shirt blush.

I have jeans (black and blue) ditto cigarette pants and my gorgeous All Saints jacket to wear...just need something to cover my bra grin.

Any suggestions please? (Budget - if is does me for all 3 I'd go to c£75 but I'd rather spend less.

Thank you S&B gurus!

Caulk Wed 15-Nov-17 16:32:16

Do you want something with sleeves?

CurlyPJ Wed 15-Nov-17 16:37:12

Don't mind. Could do either. Think I'd prefer sleeves but would't discount sleeveless/shortsleeves.

CurlyPJ Wed 15-Nov-17 16:39:18

Oh and some patterns I can find troublesome. I think it is the curly hair. Curls + patterns can often just seem toooo much iyswim.

littlebillie Wed 15-Nov-17 18:26:47

Patterns are fine 😃

littlebillie Wed 15-Nov-17 18:28:14

https://www.mintvelvet.co.uk/product/taupe-jersey-sequin-tee/13399

CAAKE Wed 15-Nov-17 18:44:16

I was in monsoon the other day and they have some nice looking fancy party jumpers and tunic style dresses that might suit you.

CurlyPJ Wed 15-Nov-17 20:03:58

I love that littlebillie but it would make me look awful - beige/taupes are a total no-no. Make me look like a grubby 1980s magnolia wall in need of a coat of paint.

SierraFerrara Wed 15-Nov-17 20:10:26

I heart this:
www.frenchconnection.com/product/woman-collections/76enl/cosmic-beam-sequin-top.htm

leccybill Wed 15-Nov-17 20:14:56

I'm liking crushed velvet tshirts at the mo. Nice bit of texture with my plain black jeans.
I've got a pink one and a grey/silver one.

CurlyPJ Wed 15-Nov-17 21:17:10

OK, so have a couple of things in my JL basket at the moment

www.johnlewis.com/warehouse-sequin-velvet-long-sleeve-top-navy/p3373081 Have popped a red and a blue in the basket.

Also thought I'd try this out: www.johnlewis.com/warehouse-metallic-lame-knot-front-top/p3363397?colour=Midnight Not convinced as the neck/boob area may be a bit wrong and make me look like I have a couple of puppies down my top. Also the shiny/lame thing may be perfect - tipping the top into evening wear...or may just be...er...naff?

And then this www.johnlewis.com/store/phase-eight-sequin-macey-knit-top/p3367327?colour=Ruby&isClicked=true Again - sequins could be perfect or naff but thought it worth a try.

Any thoughts? Have I wandered into middle-aged frumpsville with my choices? Do I need to rethink? Any other suggestions?

(Can you tell it is a long time since I had any "Out-Out" events in the winter? grin )

SierraFerrara Wed 15-Nov-17 21:35:35

I like that blue one.
Do you think it would work with a black cotton pencil skirt?

ReggaetonLente Wed 15-Nov-17 21:37:53

How do you know you're a proper size 10 and not a vanity one?

Surely if you wear a size 10 you're a size 10? Size 8 you're an 8, 12 you're a 12 etc...

CurlyPJ Wed 15-Nov-17 21:53:49

Reggae because I was this size about 20years ago and a size 10 then.

But for a 5 year period c2001-2016 I was a stone and a half heavier, considerably larger and yet Sainsbury's, Next, etc had me in size 10s. Sometimes size 8s. Known as vanity sizing. I had been a similar size later 90s and was a far more realistic 12-14 then.

CurlyPJ Wed 15-Nov-17 21:54:38

Sierra which blue one in particular?

Ohyesiam Wed 15-Nov-17 21:56:16

reggae some manufacturers make their corner a size bigger than the label, do they "feel thinner" and go beck for more. It's the only thing that keeps people buying M&S clothes.smile

hungryradish Wed 15-Nov-17 21:57:18

The first top you linked is the nicest, I reckon. That'll look lovely with black jeans & heels.

JesusTapdancingChrist Wed 15-Nov-17 21:58:27

The blue warehouse top is the nicest one you've linked to by far.

CurlyPJ Wed 15-Nov-17 22:04:24

Opps, these are the red/blue tops I have added : www.johnlewis.com/white-stuff-posey-velvet-split-back-top/p3361130?colour=Scarlet%20Red

Any thoughts on these?

ReggaetonLente Wed 15-Nov-17 22:24:10

Oh God. I was feeling quite pleased about being back in a size 10 after a summer of going to the gym!

I've spent a fortune on new clothes so i suppose it definitely works!

SierraFerrara Wed 15-Nov-17 22:30:07

The sequin blue

SierraFerrara Wed 15-Nov-17 22:30:33

Warehoise one

Bluntness100 Wed 15-Nov-17 22:37:09

The red one is nice, especially as coming up to xmas. I don’t like the other two, I’m sorry, the sequinned one looks quite old fashioned and the knnotted one looks cheap.

CurlyPJ Thu 16-Nov-17 08:35:32

I ordered the JL stuff and have also just ordered this from Monsoon uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1.3/3422090108 I think I prefer this so far - but it may not be as pretty in real life and/or may take me to frumpsville.

Monsoon did have some lovely stuff in there - but sooo much of it was just all wrong for my shape (too frouffy at the shoulders etc). There was a lovely sequin top but the combination of the high neck and cutaway shoulders would have made me look a bit hulk-like.

Will update. Happily look at any other suggestions.

skippy67 Thu 16-Nov-17 10:00:42

Don't get any of the sequinned ones. So cliche. I like all of the non glittery, non sequinned ones you've linked to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now